Getting tattoos tomorrow....wanted some clarification on how to use saniderm

sister123

I ordered some saniderm to heal my new tattoos. Never used it before. I have a few questions...

-How soon should I apply the saniderm? I believe this artist will just cover the tattoo with plastic. Do I apply it right away, or should I wait until I get home that night and remove the original bandage and apply the saniderm?

-I've read to replace the first sheet after 24 hours. the 2nd sheet can be worn for like 4 days. Should I apply another saniderm sheet after that? or do i let the tattoo breathe and use lotions from then on? I'm not sure if I'm supposed to keep the saniderm on until it's fully healed or just after the initial phase. 

I let mine air our a few hours after the tattoo, wash it with Dial antibacterial soap, air dry for about 20 minutes and apply tegaderm. Generally 24 hours later it's ready to replace (looks like the tattoo has melted under it). Repeat the above process and apply another one. I leave the new derm on for five days. After that one last antibacteral wash then a light coat of Aveeno every few hours. 

Derm tips

You can overlap it some 

Always make sure the derm goes past your tattoo at least an inch (to cover for leaking) when you apply the 2nd derm it doesn' have to have as big of a gap. 

Edited by Jkeith

18 hours ago, sister123 said:

I ordered some saniderm to heal my new tattoos. Never used it before. I have a few questions...

-How soon should I apply the saniderm? I believe this artist will just cover the tattoo with plastic. Do I apply it right away, or should I wait until I get home that night and remove the original bandage and apply the saniderm?

-I've read to replace the first sheet after 24 hours. the 2nd sheet can be worn for like 4 days. Should I apply another saniderm sheet after that? or do i let the tattoo breathe and use lotions from then on? I'm not sure if I'm supposed to keep the saniderm on until it's fully healed or just after the initial phase. 

This is my saniderm method,I have used it for several years now and several tattoos.

1)in the first 24 hours,I leave the artist applied saran on for about 4 hours,then wash it with warm water and anti-microbial soap scrubbing with the clean palm of my hand,pat dry with a clean paper towel,then add a very light coat of palmers cocoa butter,then cover with fresh saran.

I repeat this every 3 or 4 hours for that 24 hour period.waiting 24 hours is enough time IMO for all the fluids to come out.

2) wash one more time,pat dry with clean paper towel,apply saniderm being careful to not have any bubbles.Make sure there is about a 2" overlap around the tattoo.leave it on for 4 to 6 days.

BAM ! done !

here is a pic of that method on my last one a few weeks ago.

(of course my wife helped with this one)

I buy the 10.2" X 2 yd roll ($16.95 directly from Saniderm.com) and I like lots of overlap.

2-with.jpg

Edited by Dan

My artist cleans the area, .... Allows it to breathe after an application of Bactine and then  applies Saniderm. I wear the saniderm at least five days.

After that I clean the area with an antibacterial soap, and apply Hustle Butter for the next two weeks twice a day. Griffin's tattoo salve works great in the morning because it does not cling to my work shirts.

Very nice work. Hope this helps.