Lyric Tattoos - Are they ever a good idea?

tay943

Recently I've had a bit of a hankering to get words tattooed on me, that just happen to be lyrics to a song. All of my other tattoos are either traditional or neo traditional, so ideally I'd love it to suit that style (similar to the writing used in banners perhaps?)

But my question is; are they ever a good idea? Will they last/look terrible/not work on the body/look too 'pinteresty' against the rest of my tattoos?

The lyrics in question would only be two words long, so hardly getting a paragraph on my skin.

If you have any lyrics, phrases or words tattooed I'd love to see them! Thanks :)

I'm going to be the odd woman out -

I love all my tattoos including the 11 year old song lyric tattoo that wraps around my right thigh and the 8 year old song lyric tattoo my right forearm.

I always feel the rightness of a new tattoo when I look at it and feel more myself now that I have it.

Having said that - if you are having such doubts and concerns that you feel the urge to solicit the opinions of Internet strangers, I'd hold off.

FWIW, studies show most people's musical tastes don't diverge after age 33 so you could always make it a bday present for your "Jesus year" if that hasn't passed for you yet.

On 04/12/2017 at 10:34 AM, InkIncShow said:

What are the lyrics/words. I think context is important and that can help with the suggestions.

'Break free' or 'I want to break free' from the Queen song.

On 04/12/2017 at 4:46 AM, AverageJer said:

Two words in a banner on a traditional rose or something would probably work out. 

I actually love this idea - I think I'll but the words on the backburner until I get an idea or the oppurtunity and need to fill a banner. This would really suit the other stuff I've got going on at the moment.

On 06/12/2017 at 11:44 AM, morgz100 said:

Having said that - if you are having such doubts and concerns that you feel the urge to solicit the opinions of Internet strangers, I'd hold off.

FWIW, studies show most people's musical tastes don't diverge after age 33 so you could always make it a bday present for your "Jesus year" if that hasn't passed for you yet.

That a very good point. I'm hoping 'break free' or 'I want to break free' is timeless enough but I'm still in my early 20s so while I doubt I'll ever hate freddy mercury it is harder for the meaning to evolve than with an image.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions! I ended up getting the opportunity to get tattooed at a convention this weekend (big rose on the hip/bottom ribs) so I'm not getting tattooed for a while. Think I'm gonna wait until I want a design with a banner and fill it with these words.

11 hours ago, tay943 said:

That a very good point. I'm hoping 'break free' or 'I want to break free' is timeless enough but I'm still in my early 20s so while I doubt I'll ever hate freddy mercury it is harder for the meaning to evolve than with an image.

It might depend on what somebody else (e.g. significant other) thinks it is that you want to "break free" from...?

"I want to break free from your lies
You're so self satisfied I don't need you"

Edited by PinkUnicorn
added song quote

• 1 month later...

I have multiple lyrics and song titles tattooed on me. I wouldn’t say I regret the ones that are a little longer and harder to read, but I think if I’d gotten them now, I’d do it differently. But in more recent years, I’ve opted for shorter two or three word phrases incorporated into an image and I’ve been happier with the outcome. I also don’t regret any of the song or lyric choices over the years.