Sign in to follow this  
Leah

New Tattoo Swelling?

Recommended Posts

Hey guys,

I'll add a pic later in the thread but I recently got a bicep tattoo, 3 days ago, decent size (a cover-up) and my bi-cep is the size of a ham. I had a similar experience with my forearm. Anyone else experience this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leah said:

Hey guys,

I'll add a pic later in the thread but I recently got a bicep tattoo, 3 days ago, decent size (a cover-up) and my bi-cep is the size of a ham. I had a similar experience with my forearm. Anyone else experience this?

I have had swelling on my hands, and a little on my bicep along with bruising on my thighs & biceps.

take some OTC anti-inflammatory(Ibuprofen  or naproxen (Aleve) )  and keep it elevated if you can , it will go away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you. I have a pretty physical job but as soon as I go up I’ll be sure to ice and elevate it. Was curious if anyone else shared my experience. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I got my calf tattoos my lower legs--especially my ankles and feet--got swollen. It's just how the body works and isn't uncommon. That's what it looks like is happening with your arm. But we're not doctors. If you're worried always go to the doctor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you! I know it’s pretty normal for me to swell this way so I’m not so nervous, more curious about others’ swelling and whether or not they do. Thanks for responding! Cheers. 

Edited by Leah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone is going to be different, but in my experience placement matters and I am willing to bet your diet does too. My ditch got super swollen, but I think that was a matter of placement. My bicep didn't at all, but I eat a lot of almonds, ok fine I eat lots of nuts there I said it. Anyway, healthy oils are going to help your body fight inflammation. Plenty of others can cause you to swell more. You could check this article out to get a better idea:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/foods-that-fight-inflammation

I get how new age-y and probably asinine I sound, but lets face it, your body is going to react to situations differently depending on what you put inside it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, InkIncShow said:

Everyone is going to be different, but in my experience placement matters and I am willing to bet your diet does too. My ditch got super swollen, but I think that was a matter of placement. My bicep didn't at all, but I eat a lot of almonds, ok fine I eat lots of nuts there I said it. Anyway, healthy oils are going to help your body fight inflammation. Plenty of others can cause you to swell more. You could check this article out to get a better idea:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/foods-that-fight-inflammation

I get how new age-y and probably asinine I sound, but lets face it, your body is going to react to situations differently depending on what you put inside it. 

Awesome advice! That doesn’t sound asinine at all, diet is a huge factor in so many other things so why not tattoos? I should eat better that is for sure. The swelling is way down now and I’m starting to peel, I usually start peeling after like 3 or 4 days. Thanks again for the response and the link. Have a nice night! Cheers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't swell much but the more sensitive the skin, the more I swell. After a couple of years of getting tattooed, my artist switched the aftercare to include a soak in a hot tub right after the tattoo and the next day. I not only swell less, but I have much less discomfort. He got it from Filip Leu and I've been using it the last 4 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hogrider said:

I don't swell much but the more sensitive the skin, the more I swell. After a couple of years of getting tattooed, my artist switched the aftercare to include a soak in a hot tub right after the tattoo and the next day. I not only swell less, but I have much less discomfort. He got it from Filip Leu and I've been using it the last 4 years.

you submerge a fresh tattoo ?  aren't you worried about infection from the tub water ?

Edited by Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dan said:

you submerge a fresh tattoo ?  aren't you worried about infection from the tub water ?

It's just me in the tub. :14_relaxed:

If it's recommended by Filip Leu, that's good enough for me. I know it's frowned on in the US, but apparently in Japan, it's common practice. I haven't had an issue in four years, so no, I'm not worried. Also, I always take a shower before I get in the tub. I don't see any difference between the tattoos I healed the old way and the tattoos I healed using a bath.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2017 at 2:24 PM, scottyg said:

When I got my calf tattoos my lower legs--especially my ankles and feet--got swollen. It's just how the body works and isn't uncommon. That's what it looks like is happening with your arm. But we're not doctors. If you're worried always go to the doctor.

Same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Hogrider said:

It's just me in the tub. :14_relaxed:

 

well, we all know water inherently has a lot of bacteria in it,(city/local water's acceptable levels) that's the only thing I think about,

but if that works for you then great !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depending on the area I swell quite a bit. For front thigh tattoo, once I got home an hour later my right thigh was clearly a lot bigger than my left, and over the next 3 or 4 days the swelling went down. 

Also when I got the top part of my forearm tattooed, there was this bulge! But this improved the next day and the swelling did not go on for days like my thigh. 

My thigh tattoo is now nicely healed and its been 8 days of healing for my arm. (still in progress) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recent Posts

  • Last Sparrow Tattoo Sponsors

  • Instagram #LastSparrow

  • Recent Topics

  • Similar Content

    • By Lemis Serghei
      Hello
      My name is Sergey.
      I am 24 years old.
      He was born in Moldova,
      I'm tattooing for about 2 years. I'm looking for a studio in Europe to continue my career and grow as a tattoo artist.
      You can find my portfolio on instagram.
      @serjtattoo
      Mail s.lem93@mail.ru
      I'm looking forward to hearing from you.
       







    • By Hel7
      Ok, time to ask and annoy everyone, but since this forum is also a great reference to anyone on the web, I hope this will be useful to other too! Sorry for my bad English for what concerns precise terms ! Anyways, I'm having a sleeve done on my right leg, the first three sessions were perfect but after two days from the fourth one I had my leg swollen and painful like this:

      Have to take into account that it was (it still is) August and it was really hot outside (and had that 4th time a lot of bleeding during the process), but I never experienced problems like these. The artist told me to see a doctor, so I took antibiotics and anti-inflammatories and within 3 days the swelling went away, so now my ankle is perfectly normal. The bad thing is that it's still F***ing painful! Exactly like a sprained ankle (I had problems on that ankle when I used to run years ago). I feel like a circle around my ankle and it's painful to walk. I took anti-inflammatories for the first week and then the pain slowed down a bit, so I can walk even if it hurts.. but some 20 days are passed and still I experience much pain on that area.
      I'm almost sure that it's a muscle-related issue, but really, I don't know when it will go away. I'm sure it's a question of time, but I'd like to hear some other calf/leg healing processes! The tattoo goes (so far) from the knee to the ankle (including the whole back calf), but the pain is on the non-tattooed ankle (hence there is no infection, no pus, no blood, no color problems on the ink). So it's something "inside" that the artist in her 4 sessions had "triggered". Doctors don't know anything so the only thing I could do in the future is see a specialist but really, it would be the first time ever in years of tattooing!
      This is it now:

      So it's perfect on the outside and there's no swelling and such, but still the pain remains. The doctor told me it's due also to gravity, to the fluids going down and to the constant use of the legs (in fact I have no pain when I'm on my bed!).. 'cos the whole tattooed area (calf, shin, lower knee) is completely unaffected from pain.. I keep on asking myself wheter this could be classified as a normal "difficult healing" or not (on my left leg I have only tattoos on my "upper calf" and the artists never went near the ankles).. I saw that for everyone it's the worst part so I'll wait in order to see an orthopedic (I don't even know what they could say!).. any opinions to share for your general healing in the ankles-shin-calf area? 
      Thanks!!  (Yeah I'll see an orthopedic but doctors usually aren't anyways really tattoo savvy so I'd love to hear other experiences on lower leg healing )
    • By marfil98
      Hey everyone. I'm just wondering if anyone knows how tattoos with no black in them look after a few years. I know it's generally frowned upon, but if it's a darker color (blue for example) would it last? Something like the picture I attached. I have no intention of getting anything like this by the way, I'm just curious as to how they hold up long term.

    • By Jnvlv
      There are so many  anyone have good suggestions?