New Tattoo Swelling?

Leah

Hey guys,

I'll add a pic later in the thread but I recently got a bicep tattoo, 3 days ago, decent size (a cover-up) and my bi-cep is the size of a ham. I had a similar experience with my forearm. Anyone else experience this?

1 hour ago, Leah said:

Hey guys,

I'll add a pic later in the thread but I recently got a bicep tattoo, 3 days ago, decent size (a cover-up) and my bi-cep is the size of a ham. I had a similar experience with my forearm. Anyone else experience this?

I have had swelling on my hands, and a little on my bicep along with bruising on my thighs & biceps.

take some OTC anti-inflammatory(Ibuprofen  or naproxen (Aleve) )  and keep it elevated if you can , it will go away.

Everyone is going to be different, but in my experience placement matters and I am willing to bet your diet does too. My ditch got super swollen, but I think that was a matter of placement. My bicep didn't at all, but I eat a lot of almonds, ok fine I eat lots of nuts there I said it. Anyway, healthy oils are going to help your body fight inflammation. Plenty of others can cause you to swell more. You could check this article out to get a better idea:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/foods-that-fight-inflammation

I get how new age-y and probably asinine I sound, but lets face it, your body is going to react to situations differently depending on what you put inside it. 

20 hours ago, InkIncShow said:

Everyone is going to be different, but in my experience placement matters and I am willing to bet your diet does too. My ditch got super swollen, but I think that was a matter of placement. My bicep didn't at all, but I eat a lot of almonds, ok fine I eat lots of nuts there I said it. Anyway, healthy oils are going to help your body fight inflammation. Plenty of others can cause you to swell more. You could check this article out to get a better idea:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/foods-that-fight-inflammation

I get how new age-y and probably asinine I sound, but lets face it, your body is going to react to situations differently depending on what you put inside it. 

Awesome advice! That doesn’t sound asinine at all, diet is a huge factor in so many other things so why not tattoos? I should eat better that is for sure. The swelling is way down now and I’m starting to peel, I usually start peeling after like 3 or 4 days. Thanks again for the response and the link. Have a nice night! Cheers. 

I don't swell much but the more sensitive the skin, the more I swell. After a couple of years of getting tattooed, my artist switched the aftercare to include a soak in a hot tub right after the tattoo and the next day. I not only swell less, but I have much less discomfort. He got it from Filip Leu and I've been using it the last 4 years.

5 hours ago, Hogrider said:

I don't swell much but the more sensitive the skin, the more I swell. After a couple of years of getting tattooed, my artist switched the aftercare to include a soak in a hot tub right after the tattoo and the next day. I not only swell less, but I have much less discomfort. He got it from Filip Leu and I've been using it the last 4 years.

you submerge a fresh tattoo ?  aren't you worried about infection from the tub water ?

Edited by Dan

6 hours ago, Dan said:

you submerge a fresh tattoo ?  aren't you worried about infection from the tub water ?

It's just me in the tub. :14_relaxed:

If it's recommended by Filip Leu, that's good enough for me. I know it's frowned on in the US, but apparently in Japan, it's common practice. I haven't had an issue in four years, so no, I'm not worried. Also, I always take a shower before I get in the tub. I don't see any difference between the tattoos I healed the old way and the tattoos I healed using a bath.

• 1 year later...

Depending on the area I swell quite a bit. For front thigh tattoo, once I got home an hour later my right thigh was clearly a lot bigger than my left, and over the next 3 or 4 days the swelling went down. 

Also when I got the top part of my forearm tattooed, there was this bulge! But this improved the next day and the swelling did not go on for days like my thigh. 

My thigh tattoo is now nicely healed and its been 8 days of healing for my arm. (still in progress)