Tattoos and why

Lochlan

After watching the upcoming tattoo artist video interviews we have in the LST dugout and the one of Tim Hendricks posted yesterday by Scott I figured I'd throw out a vague but wide open question for tattooers and tattoo customers that seems fitting. It doesn't need to be some long personal emotional story but curious how/why people got/get into tattoos as a profession, customer both one time and more interestingly repeat customer. SO......

Tattooers, why did you decide to become a tattooer?

Tattoo customers, why did/do you decide to begin getting tattooed?

Interesting question and one I honestly have not given much, if any thought to. But, now that I think about it I was probably drawn to getting tattooed because of the imagery/art that I was into as a teenager. I was really into metal music (still am actually) and all of the album covers/artwork were things like skulls/dragons/monsters/general evilness...etc. At that time the only other place I was seeing really cool examples of that type of artwork was in Tattoo Magazines (this was pre-internet days!), so the seed was planted there.

i love art man! i always loved drawing and arts as a kid. once i started noticing tattoos, i instantly knew i wanted my own. seeing them on older people, punks and gang members always intrigued me and helped me realize the power of personal freedom and empowerment.

after i started paying close attention to tattoo designs and drawing them, i wanted to tattoo. i did a lot of things from graffiti to abstract oil painting before it dawned on me to start seriously drawing my own tattoo designs. it's been the most fun i've ever had with any of my art and it's become my main focus and passion in life, other than my family.

When I was little, I saw an old 'tattooed man' in Gibsonton, Florida. Gibb'town was where the circuses and sideshows wintered and a lot of the old timers ended up retiring down there. It's also where we went fishing with our folks, so seeing extraordinary people was a perk. I remember seeing his arms, just blueish black messes, and wanting SO much to be like that when I grew up.

My uncle was in vietnam and got tattooed back in the late 60's/early70's , he had some tattoos and I always thought they looked rad, he had the old style zigzag man smoking a joint with pot leaves around him and in the smoke it said 13. My uncle was from Long beach ca born and raised so im guessing he got work done at the pike, but hes dead so i cant ask him.

when i was 5 i used to go to this swimming pool where the life guard had an eagle tattooed on the shoulder.

since then i have always wanted a tattoo.then growing up and listening to punk rock and hardcore,well that helped also

Growing up of course they were taboo in my household, as I had very strict parents as you may know the type. Anyway, even after I spent time in the military I had never got one basicly because of my up in grained line of thought on them. Well for the past several years, I thought long and hard on them, it was like something just nawing at me. Well I finally decided on the one I wanted, and got it several weeks ago as it is about a place I love. Anyway, its the beginning and will be getting another one done here this Saturday.

I was born in Long Beach and grew up in Wilmington, Pedro, Long Beach. My Dad, Uncles and my godfather all have tattoos from the Pike. I knew from a very young age that I wanted to be like them. I wanted to go one step further and be heavily tattooed, circus style coverage. Through getting tattooed in the bay area, hanging out in shops, and then getting a counter job I fell in love with the craft. then came apprenticeship and 7 years later i'm still in love...

Um, really? Cause that's my favorite story so far.

Yeah,true story..Never even thought of getting a tattoo until i wen't to rehab at 23yrs.old.My roomy said he was in the special force's,and he had all these military tattoos on his arm.Once i got that first tattoo,it was like switching one addiction for another one.

Outward symbol of an inward change

KEV- best thing ive read toady!

Ive been watching the tattoo shows on tv probably since i was seventeen and just was in awe of what was being done. i loved the finished piece and the bright colors or bold black on beautiful skin. fast forward to my current job where i started working with my now friend who has some beautiful pieces on her arms by some great Toronto artists. i had to stop myself from staring. i was mesmerized! i wanted a change in my life and i wanted to do something that seemed "dangerous" and i decided that getting a tattoo was the right thing to do. my co-worker told me about lizzie and i heard about LST from her. i have learned so much from this site and seen mind blowing stuff. i've recently fallen in love with Amund Dietzel's work and life. just last week Nick Collela was in Toronto at Speakeasy and i got my third piece from him. a sparrow and horseshoe design from the book about Amund by Jon Reiter. i love it! *smiling from ear to ear*

at 21 i was in art school working my way towards being an animation student. i figured if i couldnt make it in animation, id make it in comic books. i had no interest in tattoos whatsoever. myself and a friend were driving around bored, he suggested getting tattoos. i went along and got one. while hanging around the shop my friend told me i could probably tattoo better than the guy doing ours! so i asked the tattooer how i could learn. after seeing my art he took me on as his student. so ya.. right place and time? couldnt get an apprenticeship that easy these days! so tattooing just fell on my lap. i went into tattoos both feet in.. i still think of maybe getting something published in a comic book magazine one day.

growing up a poor black kid in mississippi oh wait... I am a pale face.

I got some sketchy at best tats at a juvenile facility in the early 90s. In my mid 20s I began fighting in smokers tournaments and later MMA. and noticed these tattoos didnt represent me so I had them covered on my arms and back. I never put much thought into it but now in my mid 30s I really have an appreciation for art and artists and want to litter myself with said art