hardest artist to book

To clarify my last post, I guess it blew up for Cho, but then again she got people on the internets talking about/ defending her.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess Chris Trevino and also Thomas Hooper. The common thread here seems to be artists that are known for large scale intricate work.

I have come very close to a hooper tattoo, I would say your right about the large scale artists. The better guys/girls in big markets can be a bit more selective in the work and clients they accept which puts clients in the chair which allow the artist to make a better(bigger thus longer) tattoo. If an artists travels alot it allows the savvy or lucky client to get some work done

That's not too bad. Gives time to save up the money and book travel.

That's always the issue isn't it.

So, I'm officially recanting my entry of O'Donnell into the "Hardest Artist To Book" thread. I know I'm not getting in next week or anything, but his wife is super responsive at returning emails and was willing to work around my schedule so that I could come in and have a consultation. Deposit is $300, which makes sense, b/c I'm pretty sure he's around $150 an hour. I couldn't be more stoked, except for the whole I'll be eating rice and beans for the next few months thing. But whatever.

That's always the issue isn't it.

So, I'm officially recanting my entry of O'Donnell into the "Hardest Artist To Book" thread. I know I'm not getting in next week or anything, but his wife is super responsive at returning emails and was willing to work around my schedule so that I could come in and have a consultation. Deposit is $300, which makes sense, b/c I'm pretty sure he's around $150 an hour. I couldn't be more stoked, except for the whole I'll be eating rice and beans for the next few months thing. But whatever.

I don't know if that guy is $150/hr. I bet he is $200 or a bit more. Everything costs more in New York.

You never can tell. Especially when getting something big, which I am intending to do. But doesn't that suck? It's worth it, just gotta put the scratch away. That's another reason why I only like to do 2 hour sittings.

It's like that chick Amanda Wachob, her site says she charges $300 an hour...and for what? I don't want to start a shit talk fest but that ain't no tattoo I'd ever wear.

I don't know if that guy is $150/hr. I bet he is $200 or a bit more. Everything costs more in New York.

it's possible. Hogg correct me if i'm wrong here, but I think Blackheart is $175. SF is on par with NY as far most expensive city in the US i think.

@CultExiter (and everyone, I suppose) Just call the shop and ask how much your tattoo will cost. Speculation of cost, with strangers, on the Internet doesn't help anyone.

If you don't think the cost is worth it, get tattooed by someone cheaper.

Also, I've been working right next to Chris, watching him work and speaking to his clients. None of them said he was heavy handed.

Regardless of cost, pain and speed. You will get a great tattoo from O'Donnell though. Enjoy.

I'll say this again: price is dictated by demand. If something is in high demand, it will probably cost more than something readily available.

I realize now that I have unfortunately derailed this thread for quite a bit. Sorry about that folks. I do have something to add, that hopefully garners some interesting discussion.

I always have a hard time asking questions regarding cost, maybe it is do to my fumbling nature, but I always want to approach artists I respect with a bit of tact. I definitely would never consider the idea of going somewhere else because it is cheaper.

But my question is...how do you think artists like this topic to be approached?

Stewart like always is right...just ask and be up front. I know how much I am paying for Chris, Im not going to say, but its more than worth it and the guy is my favorite american doing asian style tattoos. For me, I dont care about heavy handed but thats something I NEVER heard about Chris.