New tattoo then working the next day

hbh123

Hi! I’m getting my first tattoo on Wednesday which I’m really excited about. 

I’ve been scheduled to work the day after which I’m a bit anxious about so I’m looking for advice. I work at Mcdonald’s and the tattoo is going to be on my upper arm, which will not be hidden by my uniform. 

I’m wondering whether I should keep it covered up for shifts until it has healed? For the tattoos protection and also due to health and safety as I work with food. 

I’m also slightly anxious about the fact that I often get burns when I’m at work from working with grills, and I’m wondering if I should cover it up to avoid any possibility of burning it so my mind is at ease. 

Sorry for the amount of rambling I’ve done here, I’m just super anxious as I don’t want anything to go wrong 😬

Just now, AverageJer said:

If you have the option to wear long sleeves for a few days I would cover it up. Think of it as an open wound- you don't want hot grease splatter in your beautiful wound and the customers don't want your gooey body fluids in their horrible food. 

Unfortunately we have no long sleeve option. Should I wrap it in a bandage or something like that? 

Have you considered getting Tegaderm and healing it that way? I am a medic, so I am constantly moving and brushing up against items and patients at my job. I had to go back to work the day after i got my forearm tattoo, and I used Tegaderm on it to help protect it and to help heal it. I had absolutely no issues and would absolutely recommend this method.

The Tegaderm is great because it helps provide a barrier in case your new wound is exposed to something, but it also helps reduce pain if you accidentally brush up against something. 

Good luck and happy healing!

8 minutes ago, LittleKitty said:

Have you considered getting Tegaderm and healing it that way? I am a medic, so I am constantly moving and brushing up against items and patients at my job. I had to go back to work the day after i got my forearm tattoo, and I used Tegaderm on it to help protect it and to help heal it. I had absolutely no issues and would absolutely recommend this method.

The Tegaderm is great because it helps provide a barrier in case your new wound is exposed to something, but it also helps reduce pain if you accidentally brush up against something. 

Good luck and happy healing!

Ah this sounds like a good idea! Are these generally approved in the healing process? I’ve read that some people say keep it covered for a while whereas others say to only keep up wrapped for a few hours and then don’t cover it up again? 

Thanks for the help, and sorry for all the questions!