Crossing International Borders for a Tattoo

Intomyskin

I’m considering a Canadian artist for my tattoo (I’m in the USA). It will be a large piece, so would require many trips across the border over a few years. 

It occurred to me that I may have to pay duty on a tattoo!  Since it will be large and I will be doing multi-day sessions, it will exceed the $200 limit for purchases in a 48 hour period.

I know one answer is “don’t declare it.” That would be fine if it was a one shot visit for a tattoo. However I will be making regular trips across the border for a couple of years (which I understand is a red flag in itself), and I will have to come up with a credible answer to “what was your reason for being in Canada?” Stating that I am going to Toronto as a tourist will look flimsy if i go every three months like clockwork. I’m concerned that after a few trips they may flag me and pull me aside and really quiz me. I’m not a good liar, and if they really press me it will be hard to account for my two days without saying that I spent my time getting tattooed.

I could just bite the bullet and declare the tattoo, and pay the duty, but then that opens the door to proving the cost (tattoo artists don’t give receipts), and possibly identifying the artist that didn’t provide a receipt, and risking getting them in trouble. Does anyone here have any experience on this that they can share?

I also chose a Canadian (Montreal) artist for my sleeve. I made multiple trips with no issues. Upon crossing the border, I recall even mentioning I was there to get tattooed. The only follow up question I got was “aren’t there any good tattoo artists in the US?” I explained I was looking for a very specific type of Polynesian tattoo and the artist of choice was Canadian. No issues, duties, etc. I think they are really only worried about bringing in a large amount of purchased goods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...