Oliver Peck VS Kat Von D

Lochlan

Did anyone see this this week on TMZ regarding Olvier Peck and Kat Von D?

Kat Von D vs. Ex -- Tattoo Turf War in Hollywood

5/10/2011 12:10 AM PDT by TMZ Staff

Kat Von D's ex-husband is launching a not-so-secret plot to defeat her tattoo parlor -- in fact, he tells TMZ, he just opened his own tat shop nearby ... and he's determined to beat her at her own game.

TMZ spoke with Oliver Peck -- who worked alongside Kat for years -- and he BLASTS his ex, telling us, they "make real tattoos" at his new place ... unlike Kat's "gimmicky tourist tattoos" a few blocks away at High Voltage.

Peck doesn't stop there, insisting, "Nobody gets a good tattoo [at High Voltage]" -- and urges ink enthusiasts to stop by his place instead ... "We're a real tattoo shop."

Oliver took over ownership of True Tattoo in Hollywood this January -- where they also filmed a handful of scenes for"Miami Ink" -- but the shop didn't open 'til this week because of remodeling.

This is what happens when you look like a cartoon super villain.

TMZ

My favorite part of this type of article is ALWAYS the reader comments. The "writers" never seem to do their research, True Tattoo isn't a new shop, it's been there for years. Although the writer did say that Oliver Peck looks like a cartoon super villian, I suppose that is that is pretty factual. Some of the comments are the usual white trash/dirty whore stuff, some are more thought out. But any press is good press, right?

I'll be keeping an eye on the comments, I'm sure they'll continue to entertain.

I know that people will hate me for saying this, but I will anyway. I feel sorry for Kat Von D. To me she is exactly what reality tv producers look for. An extremely insecure (bordering on mentally ill) person that outwardly appears to be confident and uncaring of what others think. Gordon Ramsay, the cast of any of the Real World MTV, Jersey Shore, the Kardashians, etc...

These people are perfect because they can be easily lead by anyone that compliments them and validates their behavior. The producers take the most extreme parts of their personality and manipulate them into making that their whole personality. They then ride the person into the ground. It reminds me of the scene in True Grit where they ride the horse until it dies.

My guess is that tattooing will survive this period in its long history, but Kat Von D will not. She will be used up by the producers and the advertisers, and left for dead like that horse in True Grit. Then she will turn back to tattooing and find out that it has abandoned her as well.

I'm not saying that she does not deserve this. I'm not really sure what she deserves on either side of the coin, but I will say this. It is all very sad to me. I was getting tattooed at True Tattoo before anyone there was on TV, and it was a fun place to be. My memories of Kat are of a young girl that really looked up to Tim and Chris, and was becoming a pretty good tattooer herself. I don't have a lot or respect for the decisions she has made since that time, but I also do not think that she is completely to blame.

Well said, Avery.

Reality tv is toxic. I don't watch tv in general (I netflix, it's true) but reality tv can be soul crushing.

I was contacted a few years back to audition to host an 'around the world' type adventure show. I would travel from continent to continent showcasing traditional tattoo technique. Japan, Borneo, Samoa.... Literally a dream come true. I had been recommended by a few people who had turned down the show and half considered it.

Bein PAID to go to Japan and lay down for traditional tattooing? (yeah. They wanted me to get tattooed by the 'masters' I met along the way) How could I say no.

They knew my backgrounds, both professional (where public speaking wouldn't have been an issue) and leisurely (tattoo culture specifically interested them) and made me a decent proposal. Then I read the audition requirements. I had to make a video of myself eating 'disgusting things' and reacting.

"Example- grub worms, durian fruit (which I strangely don't find too terrible) wasabi et all"

I emailed the producer and asked what any of that had to do with tattooing. She told me that it would be like a "fear factor meets miami inked!". Instead of JUST getting tattooed, I'd have to degrade myself on film, mocking the cultures I was there to interview by strongly reacting to their indigenous food.

I turned them down. I hear it was eventually made into a show that lasted two or three episodes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I know that people will hate me for saying this, but I will anyway. I feel sorry for Kat Von D. To me she is exactly what reality tv producers look for. An extremely insecure (bordering on mentally ill) person that outwardly appears to be confident and uncaring of what others think. Gordon Ramsay, the cast of any of the Real World MTV, Jersey Shore, the Kardashians, etc...

These people are perfect because they can be easily lead by anyone that compliments them and validates their behavior. The producers take the most extreme parts of their personality and manipulate them into making that their whole personality. They then ride the person into the ground. It reminds me of the scene in True Grit where they ride the horse until it dies.

My guess is that tattooing will survive this period in its long history, but Kat Von D will not. She will be used up by the producers and the advertisers, and left for dead like that horse in True Grit. Then she will turn back to tattooing and find out that it has abandoned her as well.

I'm not saying that she does not deserve this. I'm not really sure what she deserves on either side of the coin, but I will say this. It is all very sad to me. I was getting tattooed at True Tattoo before anyone there was on TV, and it was a fun place to be. My memories of Kat are of a young girl that really looked up to Tim and Chris, and was becoming a pretty good tattooer herself. I don't have a lot or respect for the decisions she has made since that time, but I also do not think that she is completely to blame.

I totally agree... the creators have moulded Von D into some sort of icon, but her already insecure personality seems unable to handle the pressure. I hope she is enjoying the ride, and that she comes out the other side without damning herself or others too much.

I also hope that some day they make a real documentary about the life of a tattoo artist and apprentice. That would be worth watching!

I also hope that some day they make a real documentary about the life of a tattoo artist and apprentice. That would be worth watching!

but they never will cause it's actually pretty regular and boring for most of the time! hahaha...