Tattoos that last the longest?

kf1223

Been looking at getting a first tattoo. I was wondering what I can do to get the longest lasting tattoo. I have heard that traditional style all black will last the longest. I really don't want to end up with a nice tattoo that will fade and look like shit after 10 years. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Hey there...all tattoos will fade and settle in with time. It's style, application as well as aftercare that lead to longevity. Tattoo styles like traditional and Japanese with great black lines generally hold well. They don't have to be solid black as black fades, too and application matter. 

Aftercare is critical! The sun is a killer of tattoos. Someone recently posted a photo of two 25-30 year old tattoos. One had been exposed to sun without sunscreen (or at least not consistently) while the other never really saw the sun. The tattoo that was covered STILL looked amazing. 

3 hours ago, Hogrider said:

@Gingerninja nailed it. Get the tattoo you want and take care of it. The other part of the equation is to get your tattoo from someone that knows what they are doing. A quality tattoo, well taken care of will last a long, long time.

Exactly this the difference between the fu dogs on my thighs and the part of my sleeve below my elbow is night and day despite the fu dogs being 3 or so years older.

1 hour ago, jorryt said:

If you put high-factor sunscreen on your tattoo when you go outside, does that make a big difference?

It think it's hard to quantify, but I would say it will help. Think of it like this - the ink goes into your skin. When the sun hits your skin, it causes the ink to fade, just like the sun fades everything it touches. My house was built in 2007. The floors exposed to the sun are much lighter than the floors that never get sunlight. So the more sun your tattoos get, the more they will fade.

Given what we know about the sun today, I would not be out tanning for any reason, but if you do tan, I would rethink getting tattoos in visible areas.

When I got my first tattoo, I asked my tattooist "hey what's this going to look like over time, will it fade?" he told me straight up, "it will look better and better as it ages. you come find me in 10 years and tell me otherwise".

So I did seek him out 10 years later and told him he was right and then we got started on my backpiece. That first tattoo is so solid and buttery you would not be able to tell it is 15 years old. I owe this man a lot for the tattoo truths he has given and made for me.

IMG_2157.JPG

Tattoos that last the longest are the ones that are made well and proper.

What can you do?

Check out the shops (in person, not on your iphone), ask/talk to people you see around who wear really nice tattoos. Inform yourself. Choose a simple timeless design with a crisp outline and a generous amount of black/contrast.

Take your time, do your research, can't stress that enough.

Seek out a proper tattooist who will make you the best god damn first tattoo you could ask for. You'll know when you've found the right tattooist to pop your tattoo cherry. Then find him (or her) 10 years later and say thank you.

Life is temporary. Tattoos are forever.

Edited by bongsau