Lower leg sleeve in progress - advice

rob323

Hello,

I'm new to the site so it's my first time posting. I've started a lower leg sleeve that's also a cover up of some old tattoos around my ankle that extended up 4-5 inches on each side. I'm doing a nautical theme for my love of the ocean and diving. The front of the leg is the lighthouse. The back of the leg is the dive helmet. On the back, I wanted waves coming off the images and around them so the water outline is partially completed.

I'd love to hear what others think about the design and where it's headed. I'm struggling to see the finished product in my head for some reason. I'd like to add some smaller tattoos above and to the sides of the lighthouse then bring the water around to the front of the leg to fill in remaining empty space. Is that too much for the design?

I see a lot of beautiful tattoos on this site and I'm not sure mine is stacking up in terms of design/quality so I'd love to hear what others think (hopefully I don't regret asking for that lol) before I finish the full tattoo.

IMG_0116 copy.jpeg

IMG_0151 copy.jpeg

10 hours ago, rob323 said:

@AverageJer any suggestion on adding above the lighthouse? We stopped the water outline where we did so that we could leave room for some smaller tattoos on the side/top. Think it'll come out okay with doing that and bringing the water around to the front?

Not really-  other than don't over think it. I have a hodge podge of traditional on my leg and it all pretty much works together. 

15 hours ago, AverageJer said:

Not really-  other than don't over think it. I have a hodge podge of traditional on my leg and it all pretty much works together. 

Just my opinion but I think you have as good a chance of making it worse as you do of improving it. It's a nice, solid tattoo. I'd finish it and live with it a while before thing about what to do next.

@Hogrider Thanks for taking time to respond! I definitely need to get the water shaded and finish the coverup around the bottom of the ankle. I am definitely concerned with overdoing it and then not being able to un-do it. I'm a newbie to larger tattoo designs, so one last question if you don't mind..would just finish the water shading and hold off for a bit? I have this weird symmetry thin in my head where it feels like I need to add something over the lighthouse because of how high the water goes on the back side of the leg. Make sense? I'm also an over-thinker...can ya' tell?

@Meeshka Thanks! I'm hoping I'm never too old! I think I will just finish the water in the next section. The water goes up to the back of my knee so hopefully my brain will adjust to how much higher it is than the lighthouse in the front. I think I'll just try not to look at my self sideways in the mirror for a while!

15 hours ago, rob323 said:

@Hogrider Thanks for taking time to respond! I definitely need to get the water shaded and finish the coverup around the bottom of the ankle. I am definitely concerned with overdoing it and then not being able to un-do it. I'm a newbie to larger tattoo designs, so one last question if you don't mind..would just finish the water shading and hold off for a bit? I have this weird symmetry thin in my head where it feels like I need to add something over the lighthouse because of how high the water goes on the back side of the leg. Make sense? I'm also an over-thinker...can ya' tell?

I didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't finish what you've got. I wouldn't add water over the lighthouse just for the sake of symmetry. It will limit your choices if you decide to finish the rest of your leg.

If your goal is to keep getting tattooed, I'd suggest enjoying each piece as you get it. You'll always be a little 'out of balance' but who cares?

You're getting good, solid work and that's the main thing.

4 hours ago, Hogrider said:

I didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't finish what you've got. I wouldn't add water over the lighthouse just for the sake of symmetry. It will limit your choices if you decide to finish the rest of your leg.

If your goal is to keep getting tattooed, I'd suggest enjoying each piece as you get it. You'll always be a little 'out of balance' but who cares?

You're getting good, solid work and that's the main thing.

Thanks again! Really appreciate the advice!

2 hours ago, SStu said:

Nice start, and agreed - don't rush it. Enjoy the process. 

After that = mermaids? compass? sailing ship? narwhal? shark? octopus? 

you may need both legs to encompass all the nautical possibilities . . . 

Those have all been on the list!