Day 5

NearFantastica

My tattoo artist was pretty vague when it came to aftercare. She said wash it a couple times a day and put Aveeno on it. On day 5 how many times should I be washing it and how many times should I be applying lotion?

It’s peeling like crazy in spots right now cuz my bra strap slipped down and rubbed the F*** out of it while I was driving. 0429140942c06c44f830d0f98d276e1b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't stress about it. Wash it once or twice a day or after workouts then cream it up lightly afterwards if it's crazy dry in the day maybe put a little on then my latest addition is at the same stage but it's all red which seems to heal a little rougher than black for me. 

If you need a touch up so be it, I can already tell the very point of my elbow needs one (probably my fault though I prop myself up on it). 

My first couple of tattoos I had a very strict and detailed schedule of aftercare. Now with 200+ hours under the needle I am more of a minimalist. I can't help you with the bra strap dilemma, but  I just avoid wearing skin tight clothes for the first week. In day 5 I only shower/wash the tattoo once a day and moisturize it with cocoa butter when I get up and when I go to bed.

Your body will heal itself unless you really screw up badly. 

My basic aftercare routine:

1) Get home, wash tattoo with warm/hot water and gentle soap (I already buy the cheapest, shittiest soap out there, which is usually good for tattoos :4_joy:)
2) Pat dry with paper towel, apply a tiny dot of Aquaphor
3) Depending on the time of day: either continue to wash it a couple times a day, or loosely wrap a paper towel/cloth around it to sleep and not destroy my sheets (to remove stuck on paper towel, I hop in the shower and let it wash off, no pulling!)
4) Wash maybe 3-4 times a day for the next couple days, whenever I was sweating or the tattoo starts to feel oozy and gross, maybe another tiny dab of Aquaphor once a day
4) Once scabs and peeling starts happening (around day 3 or 4), I stop doing anything special to it. I only rinse it in the shower like any other part of me (albeit more gently). I apply lotion only when it's so dry and itchy I can't stand it anymore, maybe once every couple days.

So yeah, I'm generally pretty low maintenance with mine and only apply lotion for my own comfort. Your body can take care of itself. 

I leave the shop in tegaderm. Wear it from five to seven days depending on the itch factor.  After that I have detailed ritual of cleaning the area with Tattoo Goo antibacterial soap. Then I apply hustle butter once a day for ten days. A very light coat. No petroleum based products touch my ink. I always gently pat down when coming out of the shower vs the rigorous towel sanding while in the healing process.

Hope this helps