Was my 1st tattoo experience normal?

tattooguy22

Artist are unique. Some are quite talented, some have better social skills than others. It is a rare blend of personality, artistic talent, and customer base that shape one. My artist and I have a long term understanding of each other. the first time I inquired about a project he wa direct, abrupt and to the point of what would not work. I went back a week later and made an appointment.  The project exceeded my expectations. So much that I booked a large, long term piece on my other arm. So after over 25-30 hours work, I have to be very specific about I what I want on a project.

When I ask can you do this? Can you do that? The reply is I want you to get exactly what you want. 4 pieces later my artist and I are great friends. 

When you see the variety of folks that come through the door and some of the questions they ask you start to gain perspective. Its a crazy journey. 

While not a prude or expert on the subject....its laughable to me when your artist thanks you for wearing deodorant to an appointment. Really...like everyone does not get that? Oh yes these guys/ladies see it all. and that my friend is keeping it mild.

Hope this helps

@scottyg I ended up getting the piece. I don't hate it but in hindsight I shouldn't have gone thru with it. I felt weirdly pressured, after expressing some unsureness he said, "you can always come back and do the tattoo another time" which after nearly a month of waiting wasn't something I wanted to do. My question to you is, was I wrong to assume the artist would have some variations ready? I'm pretty sure he traced the flowers a few minutes before we arrived.

Yeah, assholes don't tattoo me. I'd rather have a good day with a cool person than put up with that.

Every artist has been different, it is true, but I've never made it past the initial email / call to the shop / walk in phase with a total prick (and I've met them.)

If you can't deal with human customers, go art on something that doesn't think and breathe. Lord knows there are more than enough media that don't have feelings.

15 hours ago, timhortons said:

@scottyg I ended up getting the piece. I don't hate it but in hindsight I shouldn't have gone thru with it. I felt weirdly pressured, after expressing some unsureness he said, "you can always come back and do the tattoo another time" which after nearly a month of waiting wasn't something I wanted to do. My question to you is, was I wrong to assume the artist would have some variations ready? I'm pretty sure he traced the flowers a few minutes before we arrived.

Being in a hurry is the cause of a lot of bad and regretted tattoos. What's the hurry? Why couldn't you wait a few months? He even said you could come back; it doesn't sound like he was pressuring you.

It is wrong to assume the artist would have some variations ready. If you expect something, you should confirm it with your artist; they don't read minds. My artist sometimes has a stencil ready, sometimes draws freehand and sometimes does both.

I'm not sure why you would consider going back to this guy. He sounds like a Richard Cranium. There are lots of talented AND nice tattoo artist, take your time and find one. 

Just my two cents, but I'd step back, take a deep breath and think this through. You are putting something on your skin that will either be there for ever, or will be costly and painful to remove and cover up. Don't rush, do it right the first time. Your skin isn't going anywhere.

Finding someone that you "vibe" with is critical. I've had artists that LOVE to collaborate while other's have a specific vision that they are set on (which I liked). For me, trust is a huge part of the experience. The folks that I go to I trust implicitly. Most often, they know better than me so I let them have at it. I've never seen a drawing in advance, either.

Maybe he was just having an off day but I would most likely go elsewhere...and don't rush into anything!

1 hour ago, Gingerninja said:

For me, trust is a huge part of the experience. The folks that I go to I trust implicitly. Most often, they know better than me so I let them have at it. I've never seen a drawing in advance, either.

I took a long time doing research before I got my first tattoo (years), and after I decided on an artist talked to several people he'd worked on, had to wait three months for my first appointment. I decided to get a sleeve and told him, Japanese style, everything else is up to you. Same with my back, it was originally going to be a Kapala skull, but I showed up the morning of the appointment and he said, "I'm not feeling a Kapala skull, how about an Oni?" The results are in my avatar.  I brought him a pic for second sleeve, but he just used some of the elements and for my leg I just said I want a Samuri and Tiger - all the details were left up to him. I'll occasionally make a suggestion, but for the most part, my input is very high level, just the image, all details left up to him.

I've never had an artist have "variations" ready for me. I trust my artist, and he often freehands part of the work. Sounds like you need to look for a new artist if you didn't get along with him. But as someone else said, if you have expectations, best vocalize them. Even if you really like them, they can't read minds.