6 month tattoo reaction

Jkeith

These bumps and raised lines came out of nowhere. The itching goes from insane to not really feeling it at all. I've been to the dermatologist, she prescribed a steriod cream cream. Antihistamines don't seem to effect it either.

I know my elbow was in the dirt about four weeks ago and I'm assuming that's what got this kicked off. I could be wrong, but I doubt it's an allergy to the ink. I have the entire arm done and this is the only issue I've had. 

Any ideas l or just a wait and see thing. The doctor wanted to do a biopsy to it if it doesn't settle, but I'm really against it and almost sounds ignorant on her part. 

Screenshot_20180420-145712_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Jkeith

2 hours ago, Hogrider said:

I have a few lines that raise and itch during really hot and humid weather. 

What is ignorant about a biopsy? Sounds like you have a good dermatologist. You're lucky they didn't just dismiss your complaints and tell you to laser it off.

I don't doubt she's good, but the biopsy is pretty drastic: cutting into my tattoo, probably should give it more time than 3 weeks, she's doing the biopsy to see if it's an allergic reaction. So, I'm sure the answer will just be laser it off. 

how old is the tattoo ?

i have lines that raise up like that all over, mine seem to be seasonal and a function of temperature/humidity as well as how heavy my tattooist was on me when we made the tattoo. I had a leg tattoo that itched for years and now it's fine. i'm not a medical professional, but appears to me that you're situation (from the photo) is not so dire that you need to cut out and ruin the tattoo to do some science lab tests. you could also try epsom salt bath for less invasive approach and see if that helps.

13 minutes ago, bongsau said:

how old is the tattoo ?

i have lines that raise up like that all over, mine seem to be seasonal and a function of temperature/humidity as well as how heavy my tattooist was on me when we made the tattoo. I had a leg tattoo that itched for years and now it's fine. i'm not a medical professional, but appears to me that you're situation (from the photo) is not so dire that you need to cut out and ruin the tattoo to do some science lab tests. you could also try epsom salt bath for less invasive approach and see if that helps.

A little over 6 months. There was a section next to that one (same elbow tattoo) that raised up and went away. But I was in some store where I think a scent caused a lot of my arm to go red then bumps popped up in that new location. The next day the lines were raised and itched. It's been getting better and almost no itching now. So it's probably just an allergic thing. But yeah, that was my issue just seemed drastic to slice up my tattoo for something that offers almost no benefit. 

• 5 months later...

Hi. Can I write also with my problem to this topic? As I can't see button for making new topics. 

So. I've got similar problem. My tattoo is 3+ months old. And exactly 2 weeks ago it stated to itch. Just a little bit. And one snake's outliner and mouth is raised since then. 

I must mention that after two months from being tattooed, it was all flat as paradise. I still have it there. No itching though... Can somebody reply to me if it's normal? I'm allergic only for panicilin. Nothing else. Which isn't sold anymore. And my healing process was just fine... Photo 1 Photo 2

I certainly don't know about specific case long-term reactions, but while my feet were almost 100% covered in 3 layers of colors a couple of weeks ago my local go-to guy asked me an interesting question that might pertain to this subject, that being:

"Are you or do you know if you're allergic to Sharpies?"

Seems he has seen and discussed with other tattooists regarding occasional tattoos that take 6-7 months to heal completely - all of which seems to revolve around Sharpie hand drawn pieces. He wasn't aware of any eventual tattoo or ink failures, just exceptionally prolonged complete healing. 

56 minutes ago, SStu said:

I certainly don't know about specific case long-term reactions, but while my feet were almost 100% covered in 3 layers of colors a couple of weeks ago my local go-to guy asked me an interesting question that might pertain to this subject, that being:

"Are you or do you know if you're allergic to Sharpies?"

Seems he has seen and discussed with other tattooists regarding occasional tattoos that take 6-7 months to heal completely - all of which seems to revolve around Sharpie hand drawn pieces. He wasn't aware of any eventual tattoo or ink failures, just exceptionally prolonged complete healing. 

Thanks for reply mate. One more question please... 

Do I have to be using healing creams again on daily basis?