More tattoo regret

I know there’s been a few posts about tattoo regret and I’m not sure if I’m truly regretful or just having some doubts. I’ve never had such a large tattoo, it was just finished a couple days ago but I’m starting to question whether I made a mistake. I’ve been reading a lot on the forum about good and bad tattoos and I’m not sure if that may be part of it or I’m just needing to adjust to having such a large piece on my body. Sometimes I love it and sometimes I’m almost in tears. I’ve never felt this way with my smaller tattoos even though a couple of them are awful. I got most of them when I was younger and just accepted them. I guess I’m just needing some reassurance even if it’s from complete strangers that I didn’t make a huge mistake. Every step of this tattoo has caused me some anxiety and I’m wondering if maybe that’s a sign that I shouldn’t have gotten it or if I’m just going through an adjustment period. I don’t really know anyone with such a big tattoo so have no one to really talk to about it. I would like to get more and actually want to finish off the sleeve but I’m afraid I’ll just feel even worse. e1905f8ca4326886b95bd00dc590bc55.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it looks great! It's beautiful and well positioned. I only have 2 tattoos (so I'm barely past the tattoo virgin phase), and it took me more time to get used to my bigger one, so I think there is something to sometimes needing more time to get used to bigger ones. My vote goes to waiting until you are more used to this one before adding to the sleeve (for me, more change right away would just add more anxiety). I hope you enjoy this tattoo more and more each day, because it's very pretty.

It's a nice tattoo. Whether or not it was a mistake is something only you can answer. I wouldn't recommend finishing the sleeve until you get your head on straight about what you want to do. A full sleeve is a really big commitment. I've never had the tattoo regret thing so I can't really relate.

I think that your tattoo is very nice, very well done, Congratulations!

@NearFantastica - I can't speak from personal experience since I'm still in the planning stages for a large tattoo, but based on some reading that I've done, people often have to get used to the change that a large tattoo makes to their body. Some people have said that they loved their tattoo, but it took a long time to get used to the fact that it was actually there. I saw a youtube video where a person with a new sleeve said that it took a while to accept that their arm was totally colored.

When you are planning, it is all wonderful, but abstract. After it is complete, it may still be wonderful, but it is now real. It's there, every day.

If it is any consolation, people often say that once they adjusted to this big change, they were very happy with their tattoo.

13 minutes ago, Intomyskin said:

I think that your tattoo is very nice, very well done, Congratulations!

@NearFantastica - I can't speak from personal experience since I'm still in the planning stages for a large tattoo, but based on some reading that I've done, people often have to get used to the change that a large tattoo makes to their body. Some people have said that they loved their tattoo, but it took a long time to get used to the fact that it was actually there. I saw a youtube video where a person with a new sleeve said that it took a while to accept that their arm was totally colored.

When you are planning, it is all wonderful, but abstract. After it is complete, it may still be wonderful, but it is now real. It's there, every day.

If it is any consolation, people often say that once they adjusted to this big change, they were very happy with their tattoo.

Very well written. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on that topic. 

Edited by Carmelita

Coming to accept the tattoo(s) you have is one of the best lessons I've learned from getting tattooed.  There's so much trust involved in being tattooed, because no matter how much research you've done on artist, how many portfolios you've looked at, how excruciatingly you studied the stencil before having it put on your skin, when it comes down to it, you're basically trusting a complete stranger to permanently alter your body and appearance.  As someone who generally likes to be in control of everything, getting tattooed allows me to practice letting go, being present in the moment, and accepting things I can't change in a way that few other things in my life can.

I only have three tattoos, but I have one that I had a harder time accepting than the others because the lines aren't as bold, the colors not as saturated, and stylistically is just a bit off from the bolder style I've learned that I prefer.  I don't regret the tattoo, and I certainly don't hate the tattoo, but the point is, even if I did, it's there now!  Nothing I can really do to change it so it's not worth worrying over.

I think your tattoo looks lovely and well done.  I agree that it would be prudent to hold off on completing the sleeve until you feel more certain that's what you want.  I think it looks fine as a stand alone piece.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to be bumping an "old" thread. I don't know, maybe a month isn't really considered old? 

Anyway, I like your tattoo. Like everyone else has said, it looks great and sits very nicely on your arm. I have 3 tattoos myself, and the first one I got is a backpiece. At first I was stoked, but as time went by I started hating it. I still hate it to this day, and will definetely get it covered one day. My other two I love. I got my last one almost a year ago, it covers most of my forearm. And in 2 weeks I will be getting the other side/tricep done - can't wait! 

When I get a new tattoo I usually feel stoked af from right on when the stencil comes on, to when I take that first look in the mirror. And it just kind of stays that way. I still, almost every day, look at my forearm and smile, and be like "I can't believe I'm wearing that!"

I hope you're feeling the same way about your mermaid by now :) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I think the tattoo is lovely and fits you great 😍

As @Intomyskin said, it's kind of weird when your body "changes" like that. One day your skin is clear and the other is covered in ink. It takes time to adjust. I always remember when I first used skinny jeans. I HATED them. I thought I looked stupid. But now I LOVE them. If I wear stright jeans I think I look weird. I can't picture my body without my skinny jeans. This is kinda silly but just for you to get my point.

• 3 months later...