Tattoo Size Advice

Shannanleanneeee

Hi!

I’m booked in to get a memorial tattoo in a few weeks. I’m wanting something similar to the picture attached below for reference.  I was thinking size wise 12cm long & 4cm heigh.  I’m not going to add too much detail to it, however I’m really paranoid that this sort of tattoo will look like one huge blob in a couple of years.  I want it to look recognisable for as long as possible - I understand that all tattoos age though. It is being placed on my inner wrist

Please coupd more experienced members offer any advice?

sorry if this has been posted in the wrong place - I’m new lol.

EDEBA019-FA94-489B-94A8-C75CD3612CA5.jpeg.31e9faeac6184e2795f9ac2cf8e819df.jpeg

There are not a lot of tattooists who can pull off tiny tattoos with that kind of intricate detail, so you're either going to be lucky and located in just the right area or be willing to travel. 

Tiny, fine-line tattoos haven't been around long enough for any 10-20 year "before and after" comparisons, but it doesn't seem realistic that their clarity would last for a long time. On the other hand, they'll be easy to cover with something bold. 

There are not a lot of tattooists who can pull off tiny tattoos with that kind of intricate detail, so you're either going to be lucky and located in just the right area or be willing to travel. 
Tiny, fine-line tattoos haven't been around long enough for any 10-20 year "before and after" comparisons, but it doesn't seem realistic that their clarity would last for a long time. On the other hand, they'll be easy to cover with something bold. 

Thanks for your response! I am planning on enlarging it and thickening the lines up. I know there’s no set rules to how things will age, but how thick would you suggest for lines to be and is there any sort of ‘scale’ to determine the level of detail which is suitable. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too many Tattoo TV shows have people thinking that getting a tattoo is like having someone draw on you. I agree with [mention=2806]SStu[/mention] 100% 

Bigger and bolder is better. 

How do you generally choose the scale of a tattoo? I’ve told my artist I want it to age as best as it can but until my appointment I won’t get to sit down with her.

I’m going to enlarge the tattoo, as I understand the skin ages and it does not hold details over time. My question I’m unsure of, is how do you determine you have a ‘sound’ tattoo which is big enough to withstand your ageing skin. Ive ordered some transfer paper so I’ll see the biggest I’m willing to go. I’ve got a whole forearm free lol. Thank you for your thoughts!

20 hours ago, Shannanleanneeee said:

How do you generally choose the scale of a tattoo? I’ve told my artist I want it to age as best as it can but until my appointment I won’t get to sit down with her.

I’m going to enlarge the tattoo, as I understand the skin ages and it does not hold details over time. My question I’m unsure of, is how do you determine you have a ‘sound’ tattoo which is big enough to withstand your ageing skin. Ive ordered some transfer paper so I’ll see the biggest I’m willing to go. I’ve got a whole forearm free lol. Thank you for your thoughts! emoji5.png

I like big bold tattoos, just look at my avatar. The main thing is to find a good tattooer that you can trust, and go with their recommendations.

Cool. I like her work, and it looks like she's getting the ink in there nicely. 

I wouldn't go any smaller than 12x4cm and I'd also encourage you to consider larger so more detail could be included. If you end up doing forearm you might also consider up and down instead of cross-ways. 

Cool. I like her work, and it looks like she's getting the ink in there nicely. 
I wouldn't go any smaller than 12x4cm and I'd also encourage you to consider larger so more detail could be included. If you end up doing forearm you might also consider up and down instead of cross-ways. 

Thanks, it’s relieving to hear that her work looks great from someone else’s perspective. I’ve emailed her and asked how she thinks the design would look if it was wrapped slightly round. I’ve roughly traced out the shape and re scaled it to the biggest size I’ll go (I think it may be too big now and may not fit my arm nicely) I’ve asked her opinion on it and I’m sure she’ll be able to use that to adjust the size to suit my arm. I’ve also asked her opinion about removing the smallest elephant as I feel like it won’t fit my arm. I’ve attached a picture if you’re curious. (:

bdd7a07588df0c4a9905130cd0c00d77.jpg