Family tribute - opinions wanted

JAC1961

I'm gearing up to start on my 3rd tattoo... that was going to be my 1st.  I know what I want, but in my mind's eye I'm not 100% yet.  I'm hoping I can describe it well enough that you kind folks can lend some thoughts or improvements.

The placement will be on the lower 2/3 of my upper right arm. (unless of course the artist says it needs to be elsewhere)  I would like mine and my wife's 1st initials in script with an & between and our anniversary date above or below.  That would be "held" by filigree/scroll work below that connect a heart with our daughter's name and birth date.  That in turn would have the same filigree going down to 2 hearts with our grandkid's name and birth dates.  I kinda think of it as an inverted family tree.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on the design and any suggestions that might improve it.

Thanks!  John

2 hours ago, Jurtt said:

It's a very interesting idea, but if you want to have direct links between your tattoos, you'll have to tattoo a much larger area of skin, or squeeze your idea. For example, you can choose a forearm for the first tattoo (blighter to the heart). I'm sorry not an artist, but I think the master will help you pick what you need. Ask him directly.

what ?

Thanks for the thoughts.  I really like the general idea, but can't convince myself that it will really work.  I know the ultimate answer is go see an artist and get their input.

If anyone has a completely different idea(s) of how to accomplish the same thing, I'd really appreciate hearing it.

Edited by JAC1961
Added stuff

8 hours ago, SStu said:

Any text tattoo has really got to be over-the-top special for me to appreciate it as art. If it were me, instead of names/dates I'd be looking for some personal image that reminded me of my (your) family dynamic, or the personalities involved. 

Thanks a lot for the input @SStuand I completely understand your point.  I just don't know how I could come up an image(s) that would represent all of us.  I was just hoping to hear that I'm not inviting a train wreck lol.

Thanks everyone.

• 2 months later...

Personally I find thin script tattoos, esp over larger areas look odd - the body isn't flat enough or something and it always looks distorted/unbalanced. It works when it's bold larger script but when it's a few lines imho it ends up looking weird.

The idea about using imagery instead of text seems way better. Maybe your wife's wedding ring, star signs, fave childhood toy, fave food, hobby etc etc could be some ideas?

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

+1 for using images vs. text/dates in the tattoo

I'm not sure how you feel about flowers, but just like there are designated birth stones, there are also birth month flowers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birth_flower  You could make a family bouquet with the flowers for your anniversary month and all the birthdays.

There are also trees associated with birth months, the signs of the zodiac as someone else mentioned, birth stones, etc.