Taking a step into "visible" tattoos

flipcrab85

Got a bit of a newbie question. I've got 3 rather decent size pieces on my lower leg, pretty much covering it. I know the typical response is "screw what everyone else thinks" but looking for a bit more of an answer, if possible. I don't have any issue with having these seen, wear shorts all the time and so forth. I have been on a waiting list for nearly a year now with Jay Quarles at Black 13 in Nashville, and my time is coming up this month to schedule a session in August. We discussed doing a shoulder to elbow piece. Which I do want. I just have this thing in my head about having work on my arms because 90% of the time, it will be visible, and this kinda changes things for me. Im 6'5" so with long arms, short sleeves cover about 40% of my upper arm, if that. Anyone had a similar thought process?

Partially it's my wife likening it to, my leg tattoos are just being in a serious relationship. but going to the arms is getting married to the process. idk if this is weighing on it too much for me.  

dont wanna do it and not be 100% on it. debating letting my number pass, finishing my leg, then revisit the idea down the road. or just am i over thinking it, and will be good to go.

I don't know the answer but I 100% understand the question as I'm pretty much in the same boat. I expect I'll cross over at some point in the next few years but also maybe I won't. Part of me likes having a bunch if secret tattoos at work. I also want to wait until I can go with something really good which has a financial decision aspect to it. Good luck!

I started my arm tattoos with half sleeves. A lot of people didn't know they were there. In May, I added the lower arm and now have a full sleeve on my right arm. It is clearly a lot more noticeable, but I can wear long sleeves and generally cover it up.

My lower legs are also nearly covered, and it took a little while to branch out to fully-visible-all-the-time tattoos. I understand why you're giving this lots of thought. Either do it or don't. It is up to you at this point. 🙂

funny thing with me, in the 80's when I started getting tattooed, I started on my lower arms, from my biceps to my wrists first. LOL

now they are everywhere on my body, actually in the last 10 years or so of getting tattooed I have been placing them in the most visible spots I can find, now running out of visible room.

I'm lucky,my work is 100% good with visible tattoos and I love showing them in my work and personal life, many of my coworkers also have tattoos.

I love the attention I get and conversations I have because of my tattoos.

Edited by Dan

• 5 months later...
On 6/22/2018 at 1:42 PM, Dan said:

funny thing with me, in the 80's when I started getting tattooed, I started on my lower arms, from my biceps to my wrists first. LOL

now they are everywhere on my body, actually in the last 10 years or so of getting tattooed I have been placing them in the most visible spots I can find, now running out of visible room.

I'm lucky,my work is 100% good with visible tattoos and I love showing them in my work and personal life, many of my coworkers also have tattoos.

I love the attention I get and conversations I have because of my tattoos.

What kind of job do you have? My personal concern is that I want to work with kids, and the potential for being seen as irresponsible or untrustworthy, etc, is very high, especially with the rich folks in my area. Currently I only have tattoos that can be covered with pants/leggings but the ones I've mainly been thinking about getting next would be on my forearms, and those would be more difficult to hide reliably as I prefer to have my sleeves rolled up unless it's very cold.

7 hours ago, lemonyej said:

What kind of job do you have? My personal concern is that I want to work with kids, and the potential for being seen as irresponsible or untrustworthy, etc, is very high, especially with the rich folks in my area. Currently I only have tattoos that can be covered with pants/leggings but the ones I've mainly been thinking about getting next would be on my forearms, and those would be more difficult to hide reliably as I prefer to have my sleeves rolled up unless it's very cold.

I work for the  Sacramento County Probation Dept,

and I work at our juvenile detention center.

Edited by Dan

It’s an awkward one, with regards career. I’m in the building trade so it’s not really a problem. However, if I go and price a job, I will try to cover them up at first, if the customer is older. A lot of people in their 50’s and 60’s still find tattoos “unattractive”! We all judge people on how we look and I’m aware that some people don’t like tattoos. That’s cool. I respect that. For that reason, visible tattoos are a big deal in my opinion. Get them if you are confident that your life can continue as if you didn’t have them..

Subject matter and style makes a difference too. An artist in London (Cassandra Frances) has “tattoos even your mother will love” in her Instagram bio! It’s true, her tattoos are pretty and inoffensive. Whereas An animal with a dagger through its head May be less appropriate!! Know what I mean?! 

21 hours ago, Sol James said:

It’s an awkward one, with regards career. I’m in the building trade so it’s not really a problem. However, if I go and price a job, I will try to cover them up at first, if the customer is older. A lot of people in their 50’s and 60’s still find tattoos “unattractive”! We all judge people on how we look and I’m aware that some people don’t like tattoos. That’s cool. I respect that. For that reason, visible tattoos are a big deal in my opinion. Get them if you are confident that your life can continue as if you didn’t have them..

Subject matter and style makes a difference too. An artist in London (Cassandra Frances) has “tattoos even your mother will love” in her Instagram bio! It’s true, her tattoos are pretty and inoffensive. Whereas An animal with a dagger through its head May be less appropriate!! Know what I mean?! 

LOL I'm 59

I work in a customer facing job with customers from all sorts of backgrounds. The number of negative comments or even looks have been so small in number as to be negligible. Generally people either say something positive or nothing at all.

I see your concern, and it’s totally valid. Only you can decide whether you’re ready, but I don’t think you’ll find anyone ever notices the difference as much as you will. Good luck with whatever you get!

On 12/3/2018 at 4:35 AM, Sol James said:

I am 55...I am very 'corporate' and customer facing. If I think it's prudent, I cover up but no one really cares. I still use discretion and my best judgement.