Tattoo artists' tips

Reva

Hi,

I've recently found that it's a common thing to tip tattoo artists. It may sound weird for you but in Spain we don't usually tip anyone. Maybe the waiters if they give excellent service. Otherwise we don't. Even if we do, it's optional and you give what you want, usually just one euro or so.

Thing is, today I have an appointment with a tattoo artist that comes from New York and I wonder how much should I tip as it seems to be the polite thing to do.

Should I give him a percentage? How does that work?

Thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I shoot for 15% to 20% based on the estimated cost of the tattoo.  I don't usually carry much cash, so I hit the ATM before my appointment.  I also always tip in cash so it's their choice whether they report it.

When I was getting my half sleeve I was making a set of wooden toys for my grandson and knew my artist had a son of about the same age, so I made a second set for him.  Gave it to him at my last appointment... it was a hit.  🚚

On 11/24/2018 at 7:25 PM, JAC1961 said:

I shoot for 15% to 20% based on the estimated cost of the tattoo.  I don't usually carry much cash, so I hit the ATM before my appointment.  I also always tip in cash so it's their choice whether they report it.

When I was getting my half sleeve I was making a set of wooden toys for my grandson and knew my artist had a son of about the same age, so I made a second set for him.  Gave it to him at my last appointment... it was a hit.  🚚

I love the wooden toy idea, that's precious!!

• 1 month later...

Yeah, like others have said, 15% is North America's 'minimum' tip (so if you were not unsatisfied, you give 15.) if you were happy with your service, it's 20%. 

With tattoos, i go about it a little differently. If i'm not COMPLETELY satisfied, you are not getting a tip (you messed up my body after all lol), but if I'm very satisfied, I'll give 20+. I was happy with my $700 tattoo and i think i gave him like 900.