Full Back Piece Experience Thread

gougetheeyes

Waiting for almost two years is challenging,but I'm curious as to how long you have to wait till your second appointment.And how long to finish the back.

I have 11 appointments booked between February 2015 and December 2015. If I average 7 hours an appointment that is 77 hours and I should be mostly done but if I need more appointments I was told that clients with in-progress work will get priority for the 2016 booking.

I have 11 appointments booked between February 2015 and December 2015. If I average 7 hours an appointment that is 77 hours and I should be mostly done but if I need more appointments I was told that clients with in-progress work will get priority for the 2016 booking.

So the initial wait is long,but he can get you in every month for the rest.Not bad at all.

Cork, I wasn't referencing your worth or that i have a place to determine worth, but it does occur to me that its a shame that something only true men used to get (horiyoshi3 reference) its now available to everyone via pill form. Id like to be idealist and believe we live in a world that rewards sacrifice. Not making a trip to the pharmacy. To each their own. Yes!! It's just kinda a bummer that somebody can look like they have made the sacrifice when in reality they just spent their afternoon fucked up on pills. If any of us that have gone through the experience sober can do it ,Im sure you can too. Might even convince you going the hard way is better for the soul

Fuckin A. The anxiety is going to kill me way more than any needle point pain. I've decided to nut up for the first glute/ham session and not take any painkillers. I watched that Horiyoshi 3 video where he said that men get full body suits to prove that they are men and they can take the pain. This is the mindset I'm going in with. We'll see if it changes, haha.

But isn't the traditional way of getting a Japanese tattoo to do it in short sessions? If you look on Horiyoshi 3's instagram there's a lot of 50 minute sessions and what not.

But isn't the traditional way of getting a Japanese tattoo to do it in short sessions? If you look on Horiyoshi 3's instagram there's a lot of 50 minute sessions and what not.

You're right, his instagram has a lot of that. Don't know if it's part of the tradition though, or just something that he favors.

He doesn't really do the traditional system. His style is 45 minute sessions, but in normal cases most horishi do tattoos in 2-3 hour blocks. But for him if you want more then those initial 45 minutes you need to schedule 2 sessions Ina day and they most likely wont be back to back.

Thank you for that clarification.

I concur with @Graeme though mostly from second-hand information and not direct knowledge. Tebori is a very slow process and generally very short sessions from what I researched online and read in books. I was talking to a client of Horitmitsu during the NYC Tattoo Convention and please take this big a big ole pinch of salt, he had a killer full sleeve from Mitsu and it was still in progress. I asked how the pain was and he said it was less painful under tebori than with a machine. Then I asked how many hours he had into his sleeve...he said about 60+. Completely blew my mind.

This was further substantiated by a recent post from Horimitsu of a peony piece he did on a client in Toronto after the NYC convention. The client posted it took 4 hours to do just the peony on his shoulder. I think an artist with a machine would take probably half as long if not quicker but again dependent on the individual artist and their individual work speed too.

I just got around to watching the Kore Flatmo interview. He had some comments on "pain management" that reminded me of recent comments on this thread. He was talking about the benefits of pain killers and how they are going to become more available in the future:

"...When I’m doing a pinup on a guy’s ribs, I don’t want him to move, and if he’s moving that’s going to be a problem. So for this guy, he manages the pain and it allows him to get bigger and better tattoos.

And of course the first argument made is, 'well that’s not pure, tattoos need to hurt.' Anyone who makes that argument--they don’t have to use the pain killer. I’ll tattoo ‘em straight up. Right? They don’t have to worry about the other guy’s tattoo. They can worry about their own."

I've been told by a few people (tattooers included) that painkillers don't make a difference with the pain. But if people on here are claiming to use them and they do reduce the pain, then that must be wrong.

Unless it's a psychological thing? Like a placebo effect?

I never use them because I don't ever feel like I need to, even with longer sessions.

I just got around to watching the Kore Flatmo interview. He had some comments on "pain management" that reminded me of recent comments on this thread. He was talking about the benefits of pain killers and how they are going to become more available in the future:

"...When I’m doing a pinup on a guy’s ribs, I don’t want him to move, and if he’s moving that’s going to be a problem. So for this guy, he manages the pain and it allows him to get bigger and better tattoos.

And of course the first argument made is, 'well that’s not pure, tattoos need to hurt.' Anyone who makes that argument--they don’t have to use the pain killer. I’ll tattoo ‘em straight up. Right? They don’t have to worry about the other guy’s tattoo. They can worry about their own."

I was booked for a huge rib piece that I unfortunately had to put off because I didn't have the finances to do it and my sleeve simultaneously but the artist recommended taking a muscle relaxant before sessions I think not so much for pain management, but more to counter the body's natural impulse to tense up. And yeah, if that's going to help me to sit and will allow the tattooer to do a better job and result in a better tattoo, then I'm all for it.

I've been told by a few people (tattooers included) that painkillers don't make a difference with the pain. But if people on here are claiming to use them and they do reduce the pain, then that must be wrong.

Unless it's a psychological thing? Like a placebo effect?

I never use them because I don't ever feel like I need to, even with longer sessions.

I've only used painkillers to get tattooed on one occasion, and pretty much what I noticed is that they don't take the pain away, but rather, make you not care that it hurts. Like the painful sensation is still there and feels the same, minus that it sucks. I'm probably going to use them for my back if I can't handle it straight. I must say, I do romanticize the idea of hurting for your tattoos.

I don't judge anybody for doing it, especially those who really love tattoos. if it helps you relax or get a better tattoo, cool beans. For me personally though I feel that the pain is part of earning the tattoo.

if it didn't hurt to get punched in the face too many people would be doing MMA or boxing.

I concur with @Graeme though mostly from second-hand information and not direct knowledge. Tebori is a very slow process and generally very short sessions from what I researched online and read in books. I was talking to a client of Horitmitsu during the NYC Tattoo Convention and please take this big a big ole pinch of salt, he had a killer full sleeve from Mitsu and it was still in progress. I asked how the pain was and he said it was less painful under tebori than with a machine. Then I asked how many hours he had into his sleeve...he said about 60+. Completely blew my mind.

This was further substantiated by a recent post from Horimitsu of a peony piece he did on a client in Toronto after the NYC convention. The client posted it took 4 hours to do just the peony on his shoulder. I think an artist with a machine would take probably half as long if not quicker but again dependent on the individual artist and their individual work speed too.

Speed varies from artist to artist, and that includes artists who work by tebori. Horitomo's tebori technique is as fast and even faster than some artists' machine work, and I know that Horiyoshi III is considered one of the fastest tattooers around. I also understand that he works primarily by machine these days.

This is my take on it, I use them occasionally and I'll say that the tattoo still hurts like a mofo, you're just in a more relaxed state to deal with the pain. If it's going to make it a little easier for me and much easier for my tattooer, I'm all for it.

As far as earning my tattoos, I've got plenty a sober tattoo in some painful areas so as far as I'm concerned, i've earned the right to get tattooed how I damn please.

I'm hopefully starting my Japanese back piece fairly soon and I'm kind of nervous about the pain involved. Especially the outlining, I REALLY hate outlining. I'm hoping that once that's done the shading will be a little easier.. I hope!

I can only speak for myself, but the shading on my back, so far, was way less painful than the outline.