Full Back Piece Experience Thread

gougetheeyes

Thank you for taking the time to reply! I totally agree with everything you have said. The main reason for my post was that I am just a little bit shy when it comes to talking to tattooists that I really admire and just wanted to prep myself with some input from people on here so I can be as accommodating as possible.

2 x 4-5 hours is something I had thought about and will defiantly be discussing that with Chad/the shop.

Thank you!

I think you got some good advice re: speaking to Chad, because it seems like he might have a strong preference around the way he tattoos. I get the impression he might do enough for both of you in 3 hrs given how he tattoos.

If it was me, in terms if travelling, recovery and spacing:-

1. Are you going to be jet lagged? If so is consider giving yourself a day to rest up post - arrival. Getting tattooed hard when tired is hell.

2. Session-wise I find doing 2 days back back OK. If I were you I would do something like Arrive, Rest, Tattooing, Tattooing, Recover, Tattooing, Relax, Fly home (8 days?).

Thanks for the reply!

I am used to getting tattooed jetlagged as this will be my third time getting tattooed after travelling internationally. The first time, I arived in JFK from London and headed straight to Saved for a session on the inside of my thigh. I don't plan on getting tattooed on the day of arrival this time but most probably the day after.

I really appreciate the input, I like to think I am fairly experienced but just wanted to get some opinions on back to back days vs spaced out which you have done and I will be taking it all on board. I've had about 4 sessions so far on my back with Chad and the impression I get is that he works in 3 hour slots. Everything have been quoted price wise is for 3 hour sessions so I don't want to really rock the boat and say 'hey, can I do 2 x 4 hours please' I'd rather just go with what I have been told and as I said earlier, be as accommodating as possible. I'd like to have my game plan all set out before I book in and book my travel to make my booking as smooth as possible hence seeking advice on here first before bothering Chad/ROA with questions.

2 sessions back to back then a day or 2 off then another session sounds great and will try my hardest to follow this guideline. Thank you!

Thanks for the reply!

I am used to getting tattooed jetlagged as this will be my third time getting tattooed after travelling internationally. The first time, I arived in JFK from London and headed straight to Saved for a session on the inside of my thigh.

You, sir, are a hero. (Or insane.)

I couldn't do that "off the long-haul flight right into the long tattoo session" thing... Maybe if it was a one-shot piece or a short sitting, but not for a long session on something like my back or front.

I know a guy (an Irish tattooist) who flew to Yellow Blaze in Yokohama for sittings every weekend or second weekend for sittings on a big belly tattoo until it was done... He said he slept on the plane, got tattooed and more or less got straight back on the plane. Took about 3 months. Couldn't do that, I'd end up in some Japanese hospital gibbering about the army of 12 monkeys.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm new to this site, and actually found it via Google while searching for full back piece tattoo advice.. Just wanted to say that all of the above posts have been so helpful & insightful! Though I am now also significantly more uneasy about it! I may have bitten off more than I can chew in this instance haha

Nahhhh, don't over think it. If I'd really done my research, I'm not sure I'd be doing a full back of the detail I am doing. I'm so glad now I'm doing what I'm doing!

If you've got the desire and the funds, you're golden. You've got a great sleeve!

Oh that is quite reassuring! How far through are you?

I've booked mine for next month, with an artist I have been girl crushing on for quite some time! (In the 'please tattoo me' sense, not anything dodgy haha). Her name is Erin Chance.. Though she is only in New Zealand for a short time, so we've booked three solid days and are going to smash it out. I'll just suck it up, there's no way I will miss this opportunity!

Oh that is quite reassuring! How far through are you?

I've booked mine for next month, with an artist I have been girl crushing on for quite some time! (In the 'please tattoo me' sense, not anything dodgy haha). Her name is Erin Chance.. Though she is only in New Zealand for a short time, so we've booked three solid days and are going to smash it out. I'll just suck it up, there's no way I will miss this opportunity!

Smash out a backpiece in 3 solid days?!? As in, completely done? You've got my head spinning. I've been at this since Feb and I'm 13 sessions in. I have another 6 or so to go.

Erin Chance - wow, some of her work is just breath taking. What are you thinking of getting?

Yesterday I went in for my second (and final) consult for my back. I'm so incredibly in love with what we are doing. But as I'm still trying to get all the rough drawing off my back/ass/and thighs this morning I can't help but be nervous as all hell. I'm not brand new to getting tattooed, been getting work for over a decade, but talk about jitters. We are doing full coverage (exactly what I've been waiting to do and kept the areas open for) and I keep thinking I'm going to tap out early often. I know I won't. Everyday I go in for an appointment I'll be driving 5hrs (round trip), so I'm hoping mill get my head right on the drive in each time. But so not looking forward to driving home after ass or thigh work. Again, jitters galore. I'm now just talking in circles and feeling like a wuss.

Anyways, kudos to all of you who have committed and started/finished the process. This thread rules.

Smash out a backpiece in 3 solid days?!? As in, completely done? You've got my head spinning. I've been at this since Feb and I'm 13 sessions in. I have another 6 or so to go.

Erin Chance - wow, some of her work is just breath taking. What are you thinking of getting?

Yeah haha hence the 'may have bitten off more than I can chew' part! Erin seems to think she'll be able to finish in the three days, and I'm stoked. Though I did say I was prepared to wait half-finished until next time she is in New Zealand. Luckily I'm not a large girl, so there's not a huge amount of actual back area to tattoo, which will mean less hours; and we aren't doing down to back of thighs, just top of shoulders to below trouser line (half ass?) .. I don't really know though, she can do what she wants haha.

Her work is amazing, and I'm so excited that she's able to find time to tattoo me! I emailed her last November after seeing her at the NZ Tattoo Festival asking when she would next be here and if I could book a bunch of time, so have been patiently waiting for her return (while finishing my left sleeve with my local artist). The finished back piece will definitely be worth the pain!

I don't know entirely what I'm getting yet, I have given her a bunch of subject matter to work from in terms of images etc.. A bunch of old Salvador Dali sketches, some Greek mythology imagery, and stuff.. But basically I told her that she has free reign. It would be a shame to tell her what to draw I think, she's so talented that I trust it'll be amazing whatever she comes up with!

@CaitlinBurnett10 - can't wait to see the results! It's good you are giving her free reign, although if there is some aspect you are partial to, you should tell her. But I sense that you already know this. :) I did the same thing - I gave my tattoo artist about 50 underwater pictures I'd taken and asked him to design a sea scene. He emailed me the final design and it blew me away. I didn't change a thing.

"Half ass" - LOL! Lessee, no tramp stamps for me, I'm getting a half ass tattoo!

@CaitlinBurnett10 - can't wait to see the results! It's good you are giving her free reign, although if there is some aspect you are partial to, you should tell her. But I sense that you already know this. :) I did the same thing - I gave my tattoo artist about 50 underwater pictures I'd taken and asked him to design a sea scene. He emailed me the final design and it blew me away. I didn't change a thing.

"Half ass" - LOL! Lessee, no tramp stamps for me, I'm getting a half ass tattoo!

Yeah I am excited to see what she draws up! She is currently drawing at the moment, so will no doubt hear from her in a week or two with an image!

Now that I have booked the days, and about to book flights to get up to Auckland to see her, I am frantically budgeting to make sure I have enough dollars to cover everything - first world problems for sure.

Glad to hear there are others who also give their artists free reign! My (virgin skin) friends think I am crazy!

Hahaha yeah 'half ass' tattoos could be the new thing! Should start a trend!

Does anyone have any extra awesome hints for sitting for long periods of time? My longest session so far has only been six hours, and I think that if Erin wants to finish my back in three days I may be sitting for 8hour days (or hopefully 10!). Being a girl sucks in this respect, gotta work out how not to 'boob all over the place' (for lack of a better term) in the shop!

Check here for all sorts of "boob out all over the place" advice: http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/general-tattoo-discussion/5371-ladies-thread.html

"Only been 6 hours ..." that's damn good. It seems that the body starts giving out after 5-6 hours from what I read and my own experience. I made it to 8 once in the wee hours of the morning, but I was in a sorry state. As much as I've fine-tuned managing proper hydration, temperature control (warmth) and food, I think the body just runs out of reserves. And then there's the mental fortitude. Truth be told, that goes a loooong way. Countless times I've had to yell at myself to put on my big girl pants and suck it up. Mantras and a lot of self talk.

My last couple of sessions, we were watching documentaries on a big screen in the room, and I found that I was distracted from the pain more during one of them because I was getting pissed off at what an idiot the narrator was. ;)

She'll probably have advice about sitting long, but it would probably be good to schedule some nap time, or at least some bits of time away from the machine where you can recharge your nerves. Perhaps a couple good solid breaks each day.

@CaitlinBurnett10 Read this article by David Bruehl about tattoos and nutrition. I've found that some food at the right moment really gives me a good boost to get through tough sessions. Bananas are supposedly good for endorphins, so is dark chocolate. So much of pain management has to do with mental preparedness too.

@DeathB4Decaf I think we probably all feel like a wuss at some point. Tattoos hurt! I know that I always worry that I won't be able to handle it but I seem to do fine. Honestly, I didn't think that ass/back of thigh was as horrible as I was expecting. I even went to work the day after getting mine lined (it isn't shaded yet) and I was fine despite working a physical job.

• 1 month later...

I've just read through this thread and wanted to touch on something in the very first post - I hope this is appropriate. I only started getting tattooed a year ago, but the more I look at backpieces, the more I would like to make one a priority. If I start after I turn 30, that'll give me a couple years to save - the financial part is the most daunting. I was wondering if anyone else here with limited means had some general advice for preparing or just encouragement - the plan I had so far was to get the cost of a few sessions ready before even booking a consultation, so that I'd always be a session or 2 ahead. Even so, it'll probably take a few years to finish, if the tattooer's OK with doing a session every few months. Subject matter is still up in the air, sort of decided on artist...

@polliwog, if you're still a couple years out from starting, and you begin saving now, I think you'll have a good start financially. Discipline is key though. Skip a night out here or there, grand vacation ideas may become pleasant staycations, make food instead of eating out. All that junk. It's doable. Difficult at times, really difficult even, but doable. I had to change my mindset and ask myself what I really wanted. For years I wanted a tattoo but always lamented not having funds for anything. one day I realized I was actually wasting a lot of money on things that while entertaining or seemingly needed were non-essential. Also start mulling over a design now. You may find the perfect design tomorrow, or you may find yourself going through a few ideas. You may even think you found a great one, then change your mind a month or 2 later. Over time one will stick but you've plenty of time. Also some artists have long wait lists so depending on who you want to do it, you may actually have to wait a while anyway. Might as well get in with who you want rather than settle for second choices. Good luck! Back pieces are AWESOME!!!

@CaitlinBurnett10 - any news on the design or have you started?

Sorry, been super busy lately & haven't had a chance to spend my usual time allotment of lurking, reading, and generally enjoying this site! I have just got the first draft sketches through from Erin today, and WOW! I am very excited!!!!

This Wednesday I fly up to Auckland, and we are tattooing Thursday Friday Saturday - she's pretty certain she can get it finished in three days still, so that's rad. I am arming myself with the usual session requirements, as well as with some tramadol to help keep me still, and a sweet playlist to zone out to.. Bring on a back piece :)

This Wednesday I fly up to Auckland, and we are tattooing Thursday Friday Saturday - ... Bring on a back piece :)

Awesome! I've got a session on Friday night, so we can send each other "sit strong, sit long" vibes around the world at one another. Don't forget a couple pics to add to the thread below, along with the blow-by-blows of your ridiculously insane adventure in progress!

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/general-tattoo-discussion/5952-thread-posting-while-getting-tattooed.html

First of all i would like to thank you all for this inspiring thread.

Second

Im so excited for the start of my back piece by Jondix in january.

The waiting have been long but 'soon' it's time!!

We have two consecutive days in row. Kinda nervous about how my body will take the long sessions.

Anyone done two full days in a row? How did your body take it?

Eat sleep try to relax, repeat..

Fun thread: I'll be going in for a consultation Wednesday but I'm curious, anybody here get tattooed over bulging discs? I have three of them and go to the chiropractor monthly to get them adjusted but the thought of putting a tattoo on top has me less than aroused. I'm set on getting the tattoo anyway but I'm just trying to prepare myself mentally.

@polliwog If you can afford nice decent sized tattoos like your Chad eagle, I would think that you could manage a backpiece financially if you make it a priority and like @Lance said above, are disciplined about your finances and can work out a reasonable schedule with whatever tattooer you choose. A backpiece is financially daunting and I'd be lying if I said that paying for mine doesn't cause me stress and forces me to choose between things I want. Right now I need to replace my computer's hard drive because it failed, but that's not really in my budget right now because of my backpiece. And that's fine, because beyond essentials like rent, bills, food, etc., tattoos are my priority. It sucks sometimes, but it sucks more not having nice tattoos.