Full Back Piece Experience Thread

gougetheeyes

Fun thread: I'll be going in for a consultation Wednesday but I'm curious, anybody here get tattooed over bulging discs? I have three of them and go to the chiropractor monthly to get them adjusted but the thought of putting a tattoo on top has me less than aroused. I'm set on getting the tattoo anyway but I'm just trying to prepare myself mentally.

I'm dealing with spine/pelvis issues now, and I do have some herniations. Although they are not the complete source of the issues, getting drilled over my vertebrae does send some unpleasant feelings through my bones and I got odd pains in my arms and legs. It wasn't really much worse than any other part of my spine though. I'd guess that if you have neurological symptoms, then all the rattling might likely make them more apparent. I try to sit with as close to ideal spine position as possible - that might help you. I'm heading into sacrum/tailbone soon and I'm pretty nervous about it. Yes, mental mental mental.

Awesome! I've got a session on Friday night, so we can send each other "sit strong, sit long" vibes around the world at one another. Don't forget a couple pics to add to the thread below, along with the blow-by-blows of your ridiculously insane adventure in progress!

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/general-tattoo-discussion/5952-thread-posting-while-getting-tattooed.html

Awesome!! Totally sending those vibes your way! We are starting at noon today (NZ time), so in about 3 hours.. I'll take some progress shots & let you know how I'm getting on - day one of three, pumped!!

Awesome!! Totally sending those vibes your way! We are starting at noon today (NZ time), so in about 3 hours.. I'll take some progress shots & let you know how I'm getting on - day one of three, pumped!!

So you are about to go under the machine in 3...2....1....

(Or, the marker study is just starting :-) )

So you are about to go under the machine in 3...2....1....

(Or, the marker study is just starting :-) )

We are splitting my back into three sections, so will complete a third today, then a third tomorrow, then final third Saturday.. That way we won't keep going over half done areas, phew! So exciting! Am under the needle now.. And it's okay so far, but ya know how it goes!!

Thanks to everyone for the awesome advice & encouragement! I am proud to say that my back piece is now finished!! Woohoo! Did my full back in three days! Here's a pic for those interested :)

Artist: Erin Chance, Guest tattooing at: Sacred Tattoo, Auckland, New Zealand

That is a back piece! It's insane that you did that in three straight days. I'm going to say that you're one of the toughest posters on here.

Fun thread: I'll be going in for a consultation Wednesday but I'm curious, anybody here get tattooed over bulging discs? I have three of them and go to the chiropractor monthly to get them adjusted but the thought of putting a tattoo on top has me less than aroused. I'm set on getting the tattoo anyway but I'm just trying to prepare myself mentally.

So many people have bulging discs, and report such varying degrees of discomfort, that there's no way to know.

There's a big mental component when it comes to back and neck injuries IMO. Some people with a bulging disc take months off work sick and really struggle when someone else with a full blown herniation might be still doing everything they were doing before.

For what it's worth I have a couple of bulging discs and never felt them to be an issue getting my back done other than to experience some added stiffness from needing to sit still so long.

Objectively speaking I can't see why the tattoo process would reach deep enough to interfere with anything going on at the level of the spine.

First of all i would like to thank you all for this inspiring thread.

Second

Im so excited for the start of my back piece by Jondix in january.

The waiting have been long but 'soon' it's time!!

We have two consecutive days in row. Kinda nervous about how my body will take the long sessions.

Anyone done two full days in a row? How did your body take it?

Eat sleep try to relax, repeat..

If you read earlier in the thread, and other specific threads, you'll see it's not uncommon to do two day sessions - especially if you're travelling a long way.

They suck- especially the second day, when you're already tired and inflamed from day one.

But it's a good way to make progress quickly, and the mortality rate is pretty low. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, happy to announce I've joined the dedicated crew here...started by backpiece yesterday! Lined in from shoulders to back of knee. Some long line pulls and wow the bottom of the ass cheek wow that is advanced level tattoo.

Thank you to the LST crew here for sharing your backpiece experiences, I felt it helped me be prepared for this important session. Sat for 3~4 hours and it was one of the most comfortable tattoo sessions I've ever had. My feet were totally relaxed the whole time. Very cool to reconnect with my tattooer. He did my first in 2003, a rib dragon in 2005 and my crane arm in 2007. Full circle, especially when this back tattoo connects to his older work.

Tattoo is being made by Steve Batt (TheGangOfOne) in Edmonton, AB.

We are doing a Shaolin kung fu monk with rocks, waterfall, cloud swirls.

(You'll have to forgive me, I'm not quite ready to post up pics for the general public, and i don't want my tattooed ass to "break the internet".)

This tattoo is the missing puzzle piece...all my tattoos neck to ankle are now connected! :) Feels great, my back is tie-ing everything together, and I've reached the bodysuit zone after 11 years, like I'm walking around wearing armour. But really this is just the start...gonna get going on black and colour in the new year and see what kind of rapid progress we can make.

I think I'm ready to join the club. I have exactly one month until my first appointment to start my back. I'm glad to hear the mortality rate isn't too high, as this is also my first tattoo and I'm doing back to back sessions. The tattooer told me it's not always a bad thing to start with the back, because "you don't know any better, so you're dumb enough to think that pain is normal for a tattoo."

Ah, happy to announce I've joined the dedicated crew here...started by backpiece yesterday! Lined in from shoulders to back of knee. Some long line pulls and wow the bottom of the ass cheek wow that is advanced level tattoo.

Thank you to the LST crew here for sharing your backpiece experiences, I felt it helped me be prepared for this important session. Sat for 3~4 hours and it was one of the most comfortable tattoo sessions I've ever had. My feet were totally relaxed the whole time. Very cool to reconnect with my tattooer. He did my first in 2003, a rib dragon in 2005 and my crane arm in 2007. Full circle, especially when this back tattoo connects to his older work.

Tattoo is being made by Steve Batt (TheGangOfOne) in Edmonton, AB.

We are doing a Shaolin kung fu monk with rocks, waterfall, cloud swirls.

(You'll have to forgive me, I'm not quite ready to post up pics for the general public, and i don't want my tattooed ass to "break the internet".)

This tattoo is the missing puzzle piece...all my tattoos neck to ankle are now connected! :) Feels great, my back is tie-ing everything together, and I've reached the bodysuit zone after 11 years, like I'm walking around wearing armour. But really this is just the start...gonna get going on black and colour in the new year and see what kind of rapid progress we can make.

That's awesome, I wish that I had been able to find a local guy that could do what I was looking for (I am also in Edmonton), but ended up in a situation where I've been flying back and forth between here and Toronto. I've got 4 sessions done so far this year with hopefully another 4-5 next year to complete.

Your tatt concept sounds pretty cool, reconsider your stance on not posting pics!

Only 6 weeks until the fun times begin. It will certainly help to break up the doldrums of the winter months.

The wife and I are going to the store this weekend to pick out fundoshi fabric.

"Just like buying curtains" I told her "....for my balls."

Any suggestions for patterns? I shall pick a winner and wear it proudly.

Only 6 weeks until the fun times begin. It will certainly help to break up the doldrums of the winter months.

The wife and I are going to the store this weekend to pick out fundoshi fabric.

"Just like buying curtains" I told her "....for my balls."

Any suggestions for patterns? I shall pick a winner and wear it proudly.

I didn't buy a fundoshi before starting my back because the shop I'm getting it done at just doesn't seem like that kind of place (it's pretty old school in all the right ways) so I've been wearing a sock...but after six sessions I think I should just get a fundoshi.

I saw one on eBay with a dragon pattern so I'd vote for that if you can find the fabric.