Full Back Piece Experience Thread

gougetheeyes

First of all i would like to thank you all for this inspiring thread.

Second

Im so excited for the start of my back piece by Jondix in january.

The waiting have been long but 'soon' it's time!!

We have two consecutive days in row. Kinda nervous about how my body will take the long sessions.

Anyone done two full days in a row? How did your body take it?

Eat sleep try to relax, repeat..

You'll do fine :) I just did my back in three consecutive days, and although it was tough it is definitely doable. The way we did it, was to split up the areas being worked on so we didn't have to go over open skin on the second and third days, I would definitely recommend that approach as even getting close to previously worked on areas really really sucked. Stupid back of my ribs began to bruise up and working over them wasn't fun.

Pretty much, just eat well, rest up beforehand, plenty of fluids, and some form of distraction is always helpful, willpower is the one thing you'll need. I put my head down in some parts and just tried to imagine I was a big piece of paper that had to hold still so she could draw (a big, meaty, piece of paper lol).

Oh, and allow your body to heal afterwards. I went into mild shock the night after my third day.. And I admittedly did try to push myself a bit hard with commitments outside of tattoo sessions on my trip. My mum is a nurse, and the way she phrased it was "the amount of pain you've just put your body through with that many hours tattooing, you've effectively run a marathon.. So just allow yourself to fucking rest!" Haha.

Anyway, I feel like I have rambled enough - sorry everyone!

Side note; @SeeSea .. How's your progress??

You'll do fine :) I just did my back in three consecutive days, and although it was tough it is definitely doable. The way we did it, was to split up the areas being worked on so we didn't have to go over open skin on the second and third days...

Crazy what you did there! But you did mention an important part - your tattoo did not require a second pass. You probably would have done more than go into mild shock if it had! But yeah, two days is doable, if not somewhat partially insane :)

@SeeSea .. How's your progress??

Almost done - thanks for asking! I posted pics the other day over in the Back Piece thread: http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-designs-books-flash/492-full-back-piece-thread-page183.html#post107526

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

session_2_scramble_thumb.jpg

Session #2 - Did a 4 hour blast pounding the black into the perimeter of my Shaolin back yesterday!

First half of the session was lying down, second half was getting tattooed sitting upright which I really enjoy, makes the tattooing feel alive. Heavy black in all the clouds, full across the shoulderblades and down to the love handle on the left hand side with a needle that looked like a metal paint brush. Machine was roaring like a tractor, the way I like getting tattooed! Unfortunately I got a little beating on the ribs/lower armpit to border my existing dragon. Zouch. It is a gnarly amount mileage for a session and I'm feeling like I took a bat across the back, a little loopy today. Built up the borders around existing tattoos on both arms, necks, and ribs tattoos. Pretty cool actually having Steve connect to the tattoos he did on my in 2003, 2005 and 2007. Despite sweating through my long johns, felt pretty strong when we called time yesterday, this morning however I woke up with a red hot back, had to shower to unglue the shirt from my back and wrecked my wife's nice towel (LOL). Once again a great experience from one and only TheGangOfOne (Steve Batt) in Edmonton, AB.

I'm going to heal this up for a few weeks such that I can participate in Chinese New Year demonstrations with my kung fu school, then will setup the next rounds on the lower back and ass cheeks for February. May the Buddha be with me.

session_2_scramble_thumb.jpg

Session #2 - Did a 4 hour blast pounding the black into the perimeter of my Shaolin back yesterday!

First half of the session was lying down, second half was getting tattooed sitting upright which I really enjoy, makes the tattooing feel alive. Heavy black in all the clouds, full across the shoulderblades and down to the love handle on the left hand side with a needle that looked like a metal paint brush. Machine was roaring like a tractor, the way I like getting tattooed! Unfortunately I got a little beating on the ribs/lower armpit to border my existing dragon. Zouch. It is a gnarly amount mileage for a session and I'm feeling like I took a bat across the back, a little loopy today. Built up the borders around existing tattoos on both arms, necks, and ribs tattoos. Pretty cool actually having Steve connect to the tattoos he did on my in 2003, 2005 and 2007. Despite sweating through my long johns, felt pretty strong when we called time yesterday, this morning however I woke up with a red hot back, had to shower to unglue the shirt from my back and wrecked my wife's nice towel (LOL). Once again a great experience from one and only TheGangOfOne (Steve Batt) in Edmonton, AB.

I'm going to heal this up for a few weeks such that I can participate in Chinese New Year demonstrations with my kung fu school, then will setup the next rounds on the lower back and ass cheeks for February. May the Buddha be with me.

Awesome work!

@bongsau That looks like a heavy session! Those blacks and greys are so smooth, they're going to look really nice when the red fades out of them and they settle in a bit. You're in for a real delight with the lower back and ass cheeks though, really glad that we're done with the black in there on mine.

I'm taking January off working on my back and I find that I actually miss getting tattooed. I got a little one on my leg in the meantime and that was super fun, but nothing quite compares to the feeling you get after a heavy back session. There's something deeply satisfying about enduring the session even when your body is all FUCK NO for those first few minutes. The back is such a trip, it's a whole different world of tattooing compared to everything I'd had done before.

If I recall there are 4 gradients of black in play. Going to look very smooth when the swelling and redness goes down and flakes off. Right now though, yeeesh, feels like a shaolin monk broke a staff across my back. In the name of iron shirt training haha

- - - Updated - - -

The sit was actually quite pleasant. I've never had that much area shaded at once, so it was a fantastic experience.

Sitting or standing room only?

-snip-

Haha, standing only but it's at the Bristol academy so it's fairly easy to avoid the pit. There's a balcony above and a raised area set back from the floor, where the bar is (my spiritual home), so i'll just have to take a bit of a back seat.

I say this now, but there's a good chance i'll get a few pints in me and just go to the front.

hey friends!

Short little session on Saturday with Scott at Sugar shack, I was feeling quite sick so we only did a bit, background down the left side and gave the tiger some stripes. Really wished I could have gone longer. Since finishing I havent been able eat much without puking. Its been a shitty couple days.

Really hope to have a good long session next time, hopefully finish background down the ass and thighs.

Starting my back with Alex Binnie in May (snake and maple leaves, possibly with japanese calligraphy). My experience so far is speaking to him briefly about what I'd like (just before getting tattooed by Duncan), then going back a month later so he could draw a rough idea on my back, etc.

I hope you're going to keep us updated with pictures.