Full Back Piece Experience Thread

gougetheeyes

@Lance Thank you! Well, the way I was treating my body for a week: sickness was well deserved :) Surprised it didn't come earlier. Too me it shows that eating and drinking properly goes a really along way! Crucial part of surviving on a low budget tattoo pilgrimage: hit up health food stores in every city you visit, drink water and stay away from alcohol.

//Vegan Health Nut, signing out

Thank you @Iwar :) Yes I'll let you know when the Oslo trip is coming up! Not until after summer. Healing armpit tattoos has to be hard enough even when it's not hot out hahaha... Remember my interesting thread about other ideas that turned into a thread about if Eddy Deutsche was still making good tattoos? Well, I I've been looking at his stuff and people like Walter McDonald since then and.. I kind of changed my mind. It rules! (But they, as any other tattooer, sometimes makes pieces that I do not care for at all) Would like to see your Eddy tattoo, that is!

Remember my interesting thread other ideas that turned into a thread about if Eddy Deutsche was still making good tattoos?

Hehe, that's what I was referring to. Just teasing though. I know you've come around to Eddy's stuff since then. It was an interesting thread/discussion though.

Session #7 down with another 4 hours (25 total).

First colour session!

Did the details in the boots and pants on the monk. The sash is now a vibrant purple which I'm particularly stoked about - my claim to fame is that I was the first purple belt at our kung fu school.

The boots just run over a tattoo Steve did on me 10 years ago lol.

Damn A LOT of white ink went in the pants, with some dark and mint greens in the pattern. Going to look mighty against the saturation of the heavy black once the tattoo settles in.

It was a very difficult session pain wise. Lots of motion over the kidneys, spine, and bbq ribs. The session started with 30 minutes of re-lining and stylizing the lines in the clothes. zOuch!

And once again, the session finishes with a Ramones song :cool:

Back in 2 weeks for another big colour sesh...the monk's robe and pattern.

And then 1 or 2 sessions after that to go over the blackground again, tighten up the seams. Also throw in a mini banger (hehe) in this 2"x2" spot under my butt I requested to leave open for the victory lap.

So yeah, the plan is to wrap my Shaolin backpiece up in June so I can enjoy the rest of my summer. WICKED

Fifth (final) session on my back, the long story...

That was an enjoyable, well-written, read. Knowing how painful a backpiece session can be even after a good night's sleep and a big meal, I can only imagine what yours was like.

And the end product... wow!

@mmikaoj

Really great post, I was wincing just reading that.

There's nothing worse than being sleep deprived before a big tattoo session and in your case it was extreme... with the added stuff of a foreign country, convention setting etc. No joke, you weren't actually going to die ... but I understand why you were freaking out.

@mmikaoj

Really great post, I was wincing just reading that.

There's nothing worse than being sleep deprived before a big tattoo session and in your case it was extreme... with the added stuff of a foreign country, convention setting etc. No joke, you weren't actually going to die ... but I understand why you were freaking out.

I just saw @mmikaoj's post and I have to agree. I too was wincing as I read it. Great post - thanks again.

I started my back last Thursday with Alex Binnie at Into You in London. The snakes head, and the maple leaves are stencils, and the snakes body was drawn on. The outline will continue onto my backside, and will be done next time. The time tattooing was roughly between 3 1/2 - 4 hours.

Looking really good so far!