Full Back Piece Experience Thread

gougetheeyes

Session #8 ...a respectable 2.5hrs (27.5hrs total...what the seriously?).

I was a bit anxious about this session. It was the first session that deviated from our regular routine (Mondays @12pm, take the day off work, wake up early, workout/train/stretch, eat big-large, pack my thermos and meal). I worked a really intense half day at my day job in engineering. Slammed a coffee, ate a sandwich, arrived at 3pm and ate a bunch of rice and beets.

Steve took some time to draw-on the dragon into the monk robe directly.

11326297_740959842683409_117464843_n.jpg

Dragon was quickly outlined.

Coloured in with gold and yellow.

The robe was coloured in with a dark cherry red.

I made it through a heavy 2.5hrs on the spine, shoulder blades and bbq-back-ribs. Damn, my right side hurts more than the left! We were both happy to call it for the day. I'm still bruised from the section below 2 weeks ago too...

I'm feeling very connected to the details of this piece. The symbolism of the good luck dragon in the robe - I've been part of my kung fu school's dragon team for the last 10 years. Before Sifu passed, he reminded me that the Dragon is the signature form of his kung fu school and to keep his legacy going. It is with great honour that I carry the image and power of the Shaolin monk on my back. And as I was getting this work done, I drew strength from some of my junior kung fu brothers and sisters who are presently over in China training at Shao Lin. We came close to busting the needle bar at the end of the sitting, joking about my iron shirt technique haha. No seriously though, you could hear a nasally phase shift in the sound of the machine response, sounded like a jews harp!

I'm back at it in early-June for Session #9 ...likely the final session in which Steve will tackle the robe trim details and skin tones and eyes on the monk.

Then it's time to relax and enjoy what is looking like a busy exciting summer for me. Go lake swimming, camping and burn my shirt in any fire pit that crosses my path haha. Steve and I will regroup in the fall after the ink has settled in for touchups and we will hit ALL the black again to really saturate the shit out of it. Then the real fun begins...filling the remaining small openings in my suit with fun little tattoos.

"Eric, I'm bummed we are almost done! I'm never gonna see ya again...I really enjoy tattooin ya man!"

Shout out to Steve Batt in Edmonton, AB. One of the most underrated and skilled tattooers in Canada...seriously this cat is on a different level, constantly striving to improve and progress his drawing, composition and tattooing.

amituofo

:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished my first session on a back piece. While it's mainly the upper back there were a few time I wanted to tap out. I ended up getting tattooed from 4:00 PM to 10:45PM with a few breaks. We used visocaine a few times but I'm not going to lie it was difficult. Like my other tattoos, the lining was easy, but the shading and color was painful. Fortunately my back will consist of several characters so when a part is done it's done. I like to finish sessions with a finished piece or at least what looks like a natural transition point.

I started my back last Thursday with Alex Binnie at Into You in London. The snakes head, and the maple leaves were stencils, and the snakes body was drawn on. The outline will continue onto my backside, and will be done next time. The time tattooing was roughly between 3 1/2 - 4 hours.

Maple leaves...? Those look like they're going to be beautiful marijuana leaves to me...

hilarious! and original! no one has ever made that joke before!

I get the same comments about the leaves on my arm. I have a Japanese maple in my yard. It's handy when the family comes over and starts making comments about my tattoo. If the debate ever gets technical I can just pluck a leaf off for comparison.

I'm waiting for my weed enthusiast sister to bring over a pot plant as a counterpoint.

In general though I'll just give the general public who comment a chuckle and let them think I am a stoner.

Damn! Am I getting trolled on LST? �� I'm 6' 1". 6 hours (or thereabouts) isn't particularly outrageous for my entire back/backside, I would say.

i'm 6'3'' and it took 12.5hrs to outline my full back from neck to knees. i we were shorter it would be faster and cheaper...

I get the same comments about the leaves on my arm. I have a Japanese maple in my yard. It's handy when the family comes over and starts making comments about my tattoo. If the debate ever gets technical I can just pluck a leaf off for comparison.

I'm waiting for my weed enthusiast sister to bring over a pot plant as a counterpoint.

In general though I'll just give the general public who comment a chuckle and let them think I am a stoner.

I was wearing this hat at a restaurant in Portland and the waiter knowingly asked, "Japanese maple?" as he gestured towards the hat.

I smiled and replied, "good eye. one of my favorite tress!"

takes one to know one.

the hat also happens to match my arm.

@Killercook76 WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

So. 4 days and then IT BEGINS. Very nervous, very excited. The drawing is out of control, I almost cried when I saw it and left the shop a mess of nerves. I'm told that Kahlil is gentle and efficient so that's some small iota of comfort. Hopefully the age-old tactic of building it up in my head to be the worst thing in life serves me well. Yeah, super excited. I'll be sure to DM pics to the LST folks on instagram when the first session is done but I probably won't post anything here (sorry) as I'm sure it won't go over well.

@Killercook76 WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

So. 4 days and then IT BEGINS. Very nervous, very excited. The drawing is out of control, I almost cried when I saw it and left the shop a mess of nerves. I'm told that Kahlil is gentle and efficient so that's some small iota of comfort. Hopefully the age-old tactic of building it up in my head to be the worst thing in life serves me well. Yeah, super excited. I'll be sure to DM pics to the LST folks on instagram when the first session is done but I probably won't post anything here (sorry) as I'm sure it won't go over well.

Don't be nervous! Back seems to be less painful then the front.

I'll be sure to DM pics to the LST folks on instagram when the first session is done but I probably won't post anything here (sorry) as I'm sure it won't go over well.

::immediately dies of curiosity:: (but fair enough, though)

This just prompted me to dig out the Perseverance book again and wow. Lucky you.

@Killercook76 - wow! Awesome!!!

- - - Updated - - -

[MENTION=5534]So. 4 days and then IT BEGINS. Very nervous, very excited. The drawing is out of control, I almost cried when I saw it and left the shop a mess of nerves. ...LST folks on instagram ...

Cool - I love that feeling of crazy love insanity inside seeing the back piece design for the first time! I can still remember exactly where I was and what I felt when I opened the email with the design. I just went into brain overload. I am so excited for you!!! Don't think about the pain - it is what it is - just ride on the euphoria of the design. Oh, and ....https://instagram.com/seesealisa/...

@Killercook76 That's comforting, I think. I have a lot of open space on my front :( Haha @polliwog I'll probably post some progress shots if I get permission! But to provide some level of satiation to the curiosity, here's the reference I gave him. Kind of a bad photo because it's an actual painting I own and I took the picture with my phone at night in the living room

vipf7a.jpg

@Lance Kahlil Rintye :)

Very cool...it's like a phoenix, but not. The wing placement is brilliant...what's on your right shoulder? Seems like all the feather work will compliment each other well.

My right shoulder there is a realistic eagle. Yeah I have more than one eagle.. haha

Yeah that's only half the design. The dragon part will continue down to my knees. It's not some sort of mash up of the two. I know it kind of looks like that now. If you want to see the full design check out my instagram Killercook76