Full Back Piece Experience Thread

gougetheeyes

First session went incredibly smoothly! The design is very linework heavy and dense so we didn't cover as much space as anticipated but I am completely elated with what we got done. Just the top of the back and shoulders, a tibetan parasol in the middle and two dragons on each side curling down to the upper ribs. So far, it's been less painful than expected, but I also feel like this might have been the easiest session. Next session inn a month where we tackle the deity, very excited for that. Totally fucking awesome experience. Also I almost left my bra at the shop which was fucking hilarious. :o

First session went incredibly smoothly! The design is very linework heavy and dense so we didn't cover as much space as anticipated but I am completely elated with what we got done. Just the top of the back and shoulders, a tibetan parasol in the middle and two dragons on each side curling down to the upper ribs. So far, it's been less painful than expected, but I also feel like this might have been the easiest session. Next session inn a month where we tackle the deity, very excited for that. Totally fucking awesome experience. Also I almost left my bra at the shop which was fucking hilarious. :o

Yeah!!! You rule!

Don't be nervous! Back seems to be less painful then the front.

I have not had any front piece yet. I will this summer though... But I beg to differ, The back is a fucked up roller coaster of pain. Some parts is like nothing and hair to the left is insanity.

Sick piece you got going.

I have not had any front piece yet. I will this summer though... But I beg to differ, The back is a fucked up roller coaster of pain. Some parts is like nothing and hair to the left is insanity.

Sick piece you got going.

Yeah you may have a point. I just started so I can't really say for sure but it seems to be less painful so far . I know .. The ass!! Haha

Shaolin Session #9 - 3 hrs (32 hrs total, wtf?)

This was actually a very difficult session.

It began with some drawing on the detail patterns in the monk's robe trim.

Tattooing started with a 7 liner.

Followed by a really tight shader for all the edging.

The trim ended up being these lil singular flames going from a rich green to black to a rich blue, light blue flames. Very tight details.

Then white in the sleeve cuffs.

And finish it off with skin tones, the shaved head and the expression in the eyes!

It was a very sharp session. Steve had to jump all around a lot and he is quite heavy and his machines hit hard maan (I like it !). These remaining spots were direct spine hits and bbq back ribs. Felt like he was tattooing my lung at one point. Brutal, but hey, keep your feet relaxed and the body will follow, find the clarity. Yeah man, this tattoo shit friggin hurts now, I've used up a most of my 'tattoo credits' over the years.

So...my back tattoo is substantially complete. A bittersweet feeling, however I'm so pumped at how it all turned out. Size of the image, the blackground, the fine details, the colour palette, the butt waves. Nailed the expression, especially the Shaolin eyes. Most excellent. Steve Batt is the god damn guru.

Full donburi bro !!!

Pictures will come once the bruising and redness in the skin tones and white come down.

Now time to relax, heal, enjoy the summer sunshine and lakes.

I'll be back on the table in September for Session #10 to re-hit all the black and saturate the shit out of it and clean up the transitions into the other tattoos in my suit. Then the mini-banger and tattoos over tattoos begins. Booya!

@clttattooing congratulations on starting your back piece! I would also like to see the progress if possible. My instagram is @robieva

A few here know that I had my fifth session with Chad Koeplinger on my back last Saturday at Congress St tattoo in NH. This past session he shaded and colored all of my lower back. Whew! I am glad to get that part over with! There are blood drips in the tattoo, and one of them is mighty close to my butt crack. That spot felt like FIRE. I can't IMAGINE the horror of getting the full butt tattooed. I salute ALL of you with your full back tattoos!!!!

@BrianH I read your comment about your tattoo being finished faster and cheaper if you were shorter. I am so happy I am short for this endeavor!!! I've never particularly been bummed about being short or anything, but in this case, it's a super advantage.

I am super pumped with what Chad has given me and he thinks one more session, maybe 2 small ones.

Total time so far, tallying up these sessions is about 10 hrs and that is rounding UP. It's probably closer to 8.5-9 hrs, but i'll call it an even 10. IN the end it will probably total 12 hrs.

It has been an absolutely awesome journey. I love Chad like a brother and cherish the time spent with him. I am sad to think we are winding down, so I will probably have him tattoo something else on me soon enough (not my ribs. I told him never my ribs). Also the time spent hanging out with Jason Scott and Jebb Riley during these sessions have been awesome. I feel very at home at Jason's amazing shop. He employs only the best people. They are all great tattooers, but even more, amazing and awesome people. He's clearly got a good "douchbag radar" and hires accordingly.

Next session is in August, and will possibly be my last, but I am certainly not putting pressure on it to be so.

@clttattooing congratulations on starting your back piece! I would also like to see the progress if possible. My instagram is @robieva

A few here know that I had my fifth session with Chad Koeplinger on my back last Saturday at Congress St tattoo in NH. This past session he shaded and colored all of my lower back. Whew! I am glad to get that part over with! There are blood drips in the tattoo, and one of them is mighty close to my butt crack. That spot felt like FIRE. I can't IMAGINE the horror of getting the full butt tattooed. I salute ALL of you with your full back tattoos!!!!

@BrianH I read your comment about your tattoo being finished faster and cheaper if you were shorter. I am so happy I am short for this endeavor!!! I've never particularly been bummed about being short or anything, but in this case, it's a super advantage.

I am super pumped with what Chad has given me and he thinks one more session, maybe 2 small ones.

Total time so far, tallying up these sessions is about 10 hrs and that is rounding UP. It's probably closer to 8.5-9 hrs, but i'll call it an even 10. IN the end it will probably total 12 hrs.

It has been an absolutely awesome journey. I love Chad like a brother and cherish the time spent with him. I am sad to think we are winding down, so I will probably have him tattoo something else on me soon enough (not my ribs. I told him never my ribs). Also the time spent hanging out with Jason Scott and Jebb Riley during these sessions have been awesome. I feel very at home at Jason's amazing shop. He employs only the best people. They are all great tattooers, but even more, amazing and awesome people. He's clearly got a good "douchbag radar" and hires accordingly.

Next session is in August, and will possibly be my last, but I am certainly not putting pressure on it to be so.

Checked out the work on insta, I can't believe that was all done in only 8-9 hours total...that's awesome!

Just out of curiosity, those on here that have completed a full backpiece (or are in the process), what timeframes did it take? I have seen everywhere from 15 hours - 60 hours

Checked out the work on insta, I can't believe that was all done in only 8-9 hours total...that's awesome!

Just out of curiosity, those on here that have completed a full backpiece (or are in the process), what timeframes did it take? I have seen everywhere from 15 hours - 60 hours

Mine took about 90. And in retrospect, it really didn't seem like it took that long.

32 hours so far with maybe one more touchup in the fall...back, butt, 1 thigh. I already had rib tattoos so it did make my back canvas slightly narrower. My guy works like lighting though and has optimized his tattoo process for efficiency.

32 hours so far with maybe one more touchup in the fall...back, butt, 1 thigh. I already had rib tattoos so it did make my back canvas slightly narrower. My guy works like lighting though and has optimized his tattoo process for efficiency.

Yeah I had no coverage, so mine goes pretty far around the sides... not that that's the reason mine took so much more time, but just another factor. If I dig deeper in to my 90 hour quote, I would say it was less. 18 months, a session each month. Average was actually probably closer to 4 hours of actual tattooing per session. That puts me around 72 hours. It adds up.