Full Back Piece Experience Thread

gougetheeyes

My trouble always starts right at the peeling stage.

In the past my trouble spots we obvious in the first 24 hours. They were the spots that would keep oozing ink/blood/lymph no matter how many times it was patted dry with a paper towel. Then when everything else was peeled those spots would have thick scabs. I had one of those spots last month in the area behind my knee and it eventually peeled but I can notice some minor ink loss but probably not noticeable enough to bother touching it up.

next session i will probably have a terrible healing experience because i've bragged too much about how easy it has been this time.

In the past my trouble spots we obvious in the first 24 hours.

Yup, me too, within the first 36ish. That's why I think it was partially how the tattoo was laid down in those areas.

next session i will probably have a terrible healing experience because i've bragged too much about how easy it has been this time.

Karma, baby.

• 2 weeks later...

Sat for about 5.5-6 hours of linework yesterday. Fuck me. I do feel like I got out easy, all things considered, but it was a challenge. None of it was particularly easy. Got from the upper-middle back to the top of the butt and around the back of the sides. Newfound respect for everyone who has done this before, newfound compassion toward clients I have previously brutalized, and solidified faith in the fact that you have to be heavily tattooed to be a good tattooer.

Dunno if there is anyone else here who is extremely ticklish, but there was nothing I could do to keep myself from flinching every time the needle got to the sides of my waist, I felt like such a jerk. Wasn't even the pain that was a bother, just the heightened sensation of the spot.

Um but yeah, if you want to see it, quote here with your instagram.

Newfound respect for everyone who has done this before, newfound compassion toward clients I have previously brutalized, and solidified faith in the fact that you have to be heavily tattooed to be a good tattooer.

Um but yeah, if you want to see it, quote here with your instagram.

I would love to see it @cltattooing! My name on insta is hospitelli. Also, I've always wondered if all artists tend to go a little bit easier on the clientele a day after they just been tattooed. I'd imagine it's kind of like "Oh crap, that's what that feels like in that spot, damn."

Dunno if there is anyone else here who is extremely ticklish, but there was nothing I could do to keep myself from flinching every time the needle got to the sides of my waist, I felt like such a jerk. Wasn't even the pain that was a bother, just the heightened sensation of the spot.

Yes! There was a spot on my butt that I could not stop from twitching. I imagine it's difficult to tattoo a flinching butt cheek. That was not an easy session.

Yes! There was a spot on my butt that I could not stop from twitching. I imagine it's difficult to tattoo a flinching butt cheek. That was not an easy session.

I had a spot on the back of my thigh that caused my ass to involuntarily twerk. Totally weird, but there was nothing I could do about it.

I have a session later today. I don't know if we'll finish but the end is in sight. Not much left to do now.

Forgot to post this up last month!

Instagram Dennis_Kool

Hit the 'substantially complete' milestone on my Steve Batt backpiece tattoo!! A bittersweet moment. One or two maintenance/touchup sitting in the fall after I enjoy the sunburn season and let the pigments settle under the skin. I believe the plan is to re-saturate the blacks and likely hit the cherry red one more time. Also some more finer details to add the treads of the shoes to blend in the blastover. The last session (#9, for a couple of hours) began with some pen markups as Steve drew on the intricate flame pattern and planned out the blue and green gradients. It went pretty quickly however the tattooing was pretty tight so healing it was a bitch and the bruising was pretty intense. Steve also did the skin tones which is looking deadly now that everything is starting to smooth out. The only negative space in the tattoo is in the wind and water. The monk is all peachy skin tones and white ink in the pants and sleeve cuffs.

A few of you have seen the full-monty r-rated version of the ebb n flow of the water below the butt crack wave. Back, butt and 1 thigh took a swift 32 hours and 9 sessions.

This experience has taught me a lot, not just about tattoo, but overall life. Really pushed me to my limits. The importance of simplicity, consistency and routine, of good health, how to relax, patience, perseverence, confidence vulnerability and focus. Sounds a lot like kung fu which only makes sense with the subject matter I chose to carry. It has been a very intense journey. Shout out to Steve Batt, my guru and one of thee baaaaaaddest tattooers in the West. Made in Edmonton, AB.

So yeah, I am now 210hrs, 83% of my body tattooed, the illustrated man, the colouring book, in a full tattoo suit (minus some choicey open spots for future tattoos). Coming to a beach near you to frighten your conservative parents and intrigue your impressionable teenagers!

I'd say vote for me in the July 2015 Tattoo of the Month contest...buuuuuuut don't because a) I don't actually need to wear a shirt (or pants) anymore b) @CultExciter's robot tattoo is clearly going to be the underdog winner and c) maan how good are those Grez and Marius Meyer tattoos !!!

Set your goals, plan the work, work the plan, "cut the shit...and now let's all get ssssserious!

last-american-virgin_320.jpg

@Graeme

yup, you are a sharp man ;)

i remember learning about it from a Matt Gone interview before he got his face checker-blasted.

If it's just my head, neck, and hands that are untattooed, wouldn't that be roughly 90%? And isn't that where you are?

... no feet as well (ugh)...have one decent sized space on my inner thigh for a last 2-session hurrah, wrist cuffs have a little space and a small filler space on my hip. some background to connect the upper legs in. then it's tattoos over tattoos (i've got some plans for various bug tattoos) hehe slow and steady progress has been my approach since day one! got enjoy the scenery, seen?

Started mine yesterday evening with Kelly Edwards. It was amazing... and much more painful than I anticipated, and he tattooed for something like 5 hours with only a short break. I was actually genuinely surprised at how hard it was. Took my breath away more than once. He tattoos fast and hard, and I am humbled and proud to even be wearing this line work, sat like a rock. Next appointment will be in August for scales on the rattlesnake and starting to shade.

19521237010_26eb428f04_z.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, and did the left side, or one preferential side, hurt a LOT more than the other?