Full Back Piece Experience Thread

gougetheeyes

Thanks buddies. :) I feel kinda like death warmed over today, but I'm happy we were able to get through all of it. Now it's back to saner amounts of discomfort, I think! (Can't imagine doing a backpiece over a few days -- more power to the folks that have, but I think I would die!)

The one mercy of when I got my back lined was that Dave decided to fill in the tiger stripes in that first session so I had some breaks from the liner. Not that shading doesn't still hurt, but it at least doesn't feel like giant heated knives are being dragged slowly through your flesh.

You win, not just for sitting strong on a tough session, but also for making a quality Hellraiser reference.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks buddies. :) I feel kinda like death warmed over today, but I'm happy we were able to get through all of it. Now it's back to saner amounts of discomfort, I think! (Can't imagine doing a backpiece over a few days -- more power to the folks that have, but I think I would die!)

The one mercy of when I got my back lined was that Dave decided to fill in the tiger stripes in that first session so I had some breaks from the liner. Not that shading doesn't still hurt, but it at least doesn't feel like giant heated knives are being dragged slowly through your flesh.

You win, not just for sitting strong on a tough session, but also for making a quality Hellraiser reference.

@Naiemh

If you are collapsing and having some pretty adverse symptoms multiple times after big tattoo sittings...it's your body telling you you're putting it under too much stress and to take it easy. Try eating a simple healthy meal mid-way through the session, that may help. Or talk to your tattooer and perhaps you can schedule more shorter sessions.

Being impatient may be your other problem. Finishing a back tattoo in under a month is biting off more than most can chew, especially if you're having adverse symptoms like fainting and blurred vision. Finishing a big tattoo project in 3-4 months is still very quick and respectable. You need to give your body enough time to recover from the tattoo session and deal with healing the areas.

The numbing gel isn't going to solve your problem.

It may help you get through the last 1 hr if you and your tattooer are strategic about where/when to apply it. But you're still going to have to sit through some times of feeling everything. After the numbing wears off it is going to hurt waaay worse.

good luck

@Naiemh

If you are collapsing and having some pretty adverse symptoms multiple times after big tattoo sittings...it's your body telling you you're putting it under too much stress and to take it easy. Try eating a simple healthy meal mid-way through the session, that may help. Or talk to your tattooer and perhaps you can schedule more shorter sessions.

Being impatient may be your other problem. Finishing a back tattoo in under a month is biting off more than most can chew, especially if you're having adverse symptoms like fainting and blurred vision. Finishing a big tattoo project in 3-4 months is still very quick and respectable. You need to give your body enough time to recover from the tattoo session and deal with healing the areas.

The numbing gel isn't going to solve your problem.

It may help you get through the last 1 hr if you and your tattooer are strategic about where/when to apply it. But you're still going to have to sit through some times of feeling everything. After the numbing wears off it is going to hurt waaay worse.

good luck

Hello!!! Wow, thanks a lot for your advice, I totally agree with what you're explaining. I know I'm being too much impatient and, if I'm having these collapses, is all my fault.

But, I mean, I don't think that the fact that I'm finishing it in just one month is the problem. I mean, the first session (the outlines) was the worst one, and it was the one when I had multiple collapses. Then with the second one I just had one.

And the only difference between them is that the second one hurted WAY LESS than the first one! Even when the second one was just 14 days after the second one. So I guess it's nothing about I'm doing so much sessions in a small period of time, but with the pain of them. Since I heal super fast and, in 10 days after de first session, I was 100% recovered!!!

I try to eat A LOT before the tattoo session, but I will take your advice and ask my tattooist if I can eat something more contundent in the middle of the session. I will bring some sandwiches to the next one. Good idea!! Hope he doesn't mind.

It's only one session left and it is in two weeks. I heal super fast so I guess this is time enough to rest, for me. So, since I'm on the last stage now, it's useless to take it with calm, hahaha

Also, I really don't want to have an unfinished tattoo during the summer. I gues I'm too snooty... :/

But you're totally right: I'm forcing my body and it's completelly normal having collapses. Next time I will ask someone to take me home in a car so I won't collapse in the bus... So I'm not worried about it. I mean, the collapses are horrible, but the last time I had only one collapse and it lasted 10 minuts (then I'm just tired, I sleep a few hours and I'm okay), I can hold it if it happens again after my last session, since it would be the last session and I know I won't have to get through it anymore, never again!!! Hahaha

Also you're right with the numbing gel, I thought about it and after these two weeks I guess I will be ready to hold the next session without problems, as I helt the second one.

That's what makes me angry: there's a lot of people that cries, move, even jump of the sit, because it hurts so much and they can't hold the pain (and I understand them, totally). And they don't collapse. But I hold the whole session without crying nor moving, but then after galf an hour I do have collapses.... That's because my body is so weak, and I hate it, so I will just ignore it one more time, for the last time. I mean, since after 10 minutes I'm okay, it won't kill me. Right? Hahaha

But you're right, I totally deserve the collapses since I'm forcing my body u_u

• 2 weeks later...
Finished my full back piece last Friday. I plan to write something about the experience but need time to collect and organize all my thoughts.

by Mike Rubendall at Kings Ave:

File_000.jpeg

That thing is wild.

- - - Updated - - -

Finished my full back piece last Friday. I plan to write something about the experience but need time to collect and organize all my thoughts.

File_000.jpeg

That thing is wild.

Today I learned that the posterior of my body is home to multiple portals to hell! Seriously, I kept expecting cenobites to show up and drag me off with hook chains.

Whoever said the butt crease is magical sure knew what they were talking about. But the most surprising thing for me (and for Greg, actually) is that there were a couple of spots near my shoulder blades that actually made me burst into tears instantly! It was the strangest thing...it wasn't like I just bottomed out and couldn't take it anymore, it was a huge surge of adrenaline and emotion that felt completely involuntary. And just in those spots! We tattooed well into armpit territory and it was honestly a relief after those other spots. So strange.

I would post the Instagram but I'm on my phone. :( it's on his page, though, butt crack towel and everything.

AWESOME!!! Greg kills it. One of my favorite tattooers right now, and on the proverbial "bucket list".

I also had a small spot on each shoulder blade that was exactly like that. The machine would hit them and I would groan like a dying toad.

You are a champion for making it through that much linework in one sitting! Especially from a heavy handed artist!

- - - Updated - - -

File_000.jpeg

HOLY BALLS! Congrats dude!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Kelly asked me for one last finishing session to polish off some details he wanted. It turned out to be MORE LINE WORK. :p

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2016 at 7:52 AM, BrianH said:

File_000.jpeg

BrianH, this came out absolutely amazing. Mike does incredible work, I'm glad to say he started my sleeve this past week. Looking forward to your write up.

• 2 weeks later...

Had my third session with Tim Lehi at Temple today. Made some serious progress. Things are coming together, but still a ton left to do. Loving the process. I don't know for certain (since I've never gotten a backpiece before) but he seems to work in a very unique manner. It's awesome to see someone so comfortable with such a massive project. 

Had my third session with Tim Lehi at Temple today. Made some serious progress. Things are coming together, but still a ton left to do. Loving the process. I don't know for certain (since I've never gotten a backpiece before) but he seems to work in a very unique manner. It's awesome to see someone so comfortable with such a massive project. 

I was at Temple today. Your work is amazing!!! And I mean that in the least creepy way possible.

28 minutes ago, Gemini said:

I think I was the only girl there getting work yesterday. Seth Wood was finishing the peonies on my back.

Cool! It looks like they turned out great BTW. I caught a peek as you were heading to the bathroom. 

Did some shading with Greggles today. Not even in the same league as lining, though anytime he gets close to that one area on either scapula I have to bite leather. That will probably always suck. But hey - since we focused on the upper body this time, I didn't have to be completely naked in public for a whole day! Bonus. 

I am finding that 4 hours is about the time that I consistently have my pain response start to fail. Tattoo flu every time. 

10 hours ago, sophistre said:

I am pretty excited about it. :) Hard to picture what it will look like when it's finished, though. I'm always amazed how much tattoos evolve as they near completion.

it's coming out wonderful.  I like it.

Also, confirmed consultation date earlier this week.

June 4th with Tim Hoyer. 

Edited by Patrick Bateman

• 2 weeks later...

Re-reading some of this thread and it's cool to see the pieces come together. I personally have no plans to start my back anytime soon, but if I ever did, I'm thinking I'll probably go the route of a more piecemeal approach, like this (but in color):

https://www.tattoodo.com/images/0/3148.webp

I love seeing all that negative space and seeing how several small tattoos can come together to make one cohesive piece. Plus it looks so old school and tough.

Edited by Synesthesia

• 3 weeks later...

@BrianH Hats off to you, bud. That looks amazing, you earned it (:

@sophistre I love it! So sick! Can't wait to see more

And I don't have any recent photos of how mine is coming, unfortunately. I think the closest I can post is this one below. Anyway, did a chunk on the ass on Tuesday and it was pretty crappy. Seems like we're starting to close in on this thing though, just the sides and bottom of the ass, and the thighs left. About 66 hours and 1 year in.

Edited by cltattooing