Full Back Piece Experience Thread

gougetheeyes

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I know I have not posted in a while, apologies everyone. Well, we are moving along. It usually feels from uncomfortable to terrible to absolutely IAMGOINGTODIEHERE.

I know it will be worth it. It could always have been worse, I know; at least the shading is tebori. Anyway, after finishing all of the background, we are now methodically creeping up towards the lower back from the back of the right thigh with the colour on the tennyo's kimono and it is ... unpleasant.

Oh and (probably thankfully) I am absolutely not continuing to add to this to the munewari soshinbori coverage level I joked about earlier. There is no way in hell that I could deal with the pain around all the tender bits in front judging by what I have felt on my back.

I need to post some progress photos...

2 hours ago, piccalilli said:

Oh and (probably thankfully) I am absolutely not continuing to add to this to the munewari soshinbori coverage level I joked about earlier. There is no way in hell that I could deal with the pain around all the tender bits in front judging by what I have felt on my back.

I'm completely in the same boat. No way in hell can I do a munewari, much as I'd love to!

22 hours ago, piccalilli said:

I know I have not posted in a while, apologies everyone. Well, we are moving along. It usually feels from uncomfortable to terrible to absolutely IAMGOINGTODIEHERE.

I know it will be worth it. It could always have been worse, I know; at least the shading is tebori. Anyway, after finishing all of the background, we are now methodically creeping up towards the lower back from the back of the right thigh with the colour on the tennyo's kimono and it is ... unpleasant.

Here's a rubbish photo I took session before last one when had begun adding the patterns on her kimono...

Have been adding the red on her kimono on the back of my right thigh since.

71150789_396621071228490_2745507925943216575_n.jpg

This Instagram post of Horifuji's I linked below shows the whole thing (but older photo than the one I posted above)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1efdE9h-0s/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Edited by piccalilli

• 3 weeks later...

I have some interesting questions to contribute to this that I will post as soon as I get my post count up. I have had a lot of work done in the system with "sut" ink that came out as a lightish / darkish grey shades. I recently had a freeworld tattoo done in black as a cover up, it's solid black, used to cover up one of my first tattoos. Honestly, from my perspective, it's too much black for me and stands out. So I will be posting some great questions here regarding this. I've spoken with some artist that mentioned mixing in some grey wash and opaque grey colors with the black so the black doesn't stand out so much, now I have to wait for my post count to get up, so I can ask questions regarding it, but it may be something for you to search up for the time being. 

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey guys,

Reviving the full back piece experience thread.

So I had never been tattooed before and last year I decided to dive in for my first one and begin my traditional Japanese full back, (cause if it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing properly right 😂) The tattooer is Matt Collins at Unseen in Adelaide. I know I don’t have anything to compare it to, but having read this thread I know what you all say about full backs is 100% true, it is damn hard work.

We’ve just completed all of the background and that last session shading in rocks over the tailbone was definitely brutal. About 20 ish hours in I think. I love the finished product though, and can’t wait to see the cranes and leaves once we get into those, mostly black and grey with some red on leaves and cranes heads, haven’t decided on the omamori design yet.

06E47D07-9215-47AB-B5D0-452CAB4622C0.jpeg

Edited by Tsuru

12 hours ago, SStu said:

That's super! Great contrast. 

Love the commitment, too. 

Thanks mate.
It is a mind game to push through some of the really hard spots (back of ribs, base of spine etc) but the pay off is worth it in the end.
I reckon I should take out shares in second skin, the amount we’ve used in healing this 😂 I always do a first layer straight away, then within 24 hours after the initial plasma gunk leaks I take off the second skin, wash with antibacterial soap then dry and put on another second skin and leave it for about 4 days ish. Always had nice healing doing it that way. 

On 10/23/2020 at 9:39 PM, Tsuru said:

Hey guys,

Reviving the full back piece experience thread.

So I had never been tattooed before and last year I decided to dive in for my first one and begin my traditional Japanese full back, (cause if it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing properly right 😂) The tattooer is Matt Collins at Unseen in Adelaide. I know I don’t have anything to compare it to, but having read this thread I know what you all say about full backs is 100% true, it is damn hard work.

We’ve just completed all of the background and that last session shading in rocks over the tailbone was definitely brutal. About 20 ish hours in I think. I love the finished product though, and can’t wait to see the cranes and leaves once we get into those, mostly black and grey with some red on leaves and cranes heads, haven’t decided on the omamori design yet.

very nice ! that's the best "go big or go home" I have ever seen.

54 minutes ago, Dan said:

very nice ! that's the best "go big or go home" I have ever seen.

Thanks! 

It's definitely something to feel proud of, but some days you do just wanna go home 😂 other sessions are more manageable. I think you pretty much have to mentally hear that death march in your head when you walk in, and expect it to be the worst pain ever and then it wont be so bad. You can't ever approach a session feeling good about it, cause you will get your arse handed to you ha ha.

• 1 month later...

I have been working on a sleeve. The first part of the tattoo I got I did not have Tattoo Goo. The second session I used Tattoo Goo for keeping my tattoo clean and I feel like it helped cut down the healing time. I used the soap in conjunction with Tattoo Goo Salve for moisturizing. 

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, just read through all 44 pages of this thread and felt I could contribute a few things as I have a back piece in progress with Myke Chambers. It’s very reassuring to hear that a large portion of you felt this is very tough project to tackle. I have my full front done and with the exception of the belly button, the back is just brutal in comparison. I’ve found the sweet spot for me is 3-3.5 hour sessions. That seems to be where my endorphins are drained and it becomes a huge mental battle. 
I believe a few of you mentioned involuntary movements when tattooing the butt and i experienced crazy spasms in my left cheek. Myke actually had to have another tattooer hold my ass still. I’m only 3 sessions in and we started this a LONG time ago. Late 2013. Then lots of life’s curveballs were thrown at me and I just wasn’t able to get tattooed. There’s a bit of story with that which I think speaks to my experience and the character of Myke and what a genuinely caring, humble, and down to earth guy he is. I don’t want to go into it with a huge post if it’s of no interest but I’ll gladly share my experience if anyone would like to hear it. 
Anyway, I’m back where I want to be, achieved the goals I set out to reach and am in a place where I can get back into this.

C4F0C071-8B93-4B3B-BED7-174A54061DEE.jpeg

10F31613-5AA5-4E99-8BA5-00B43C46DEC9.jpeg