Full Back Piece Experience Thread

gougetheeyes

6 hours ago, onlyme said:

I've heard this said...

Several hundred hours in to my thighs arse back chest and upper arms...
I'd have no compunction to get everything finished with zero pain if there was a way to do it. I don't care about that being part  of the experience, I am done with the stabbing and burning.

Ugh.

4 hours ago, FXRrich said:

Hey guys, just read through all 44 pages of this thread and felt I could contribute a few things as I have a back piece in progress with Myke Chambers. It’s very reassuring to hear that a large portion of you felt this is very tough project to tackle. I have my full front done and with the exception of the belly button, the back is just brutal in comparison. I’ve found the sweet spot for me is 3-3.5 hour sessions. That seems to be where my endorphins are drained and it becomes a huge mental battle. 
I believe a few of you mentioned involuntary movements when tattooing the butt and i experienced crazy spasms in my left cheek. Myke actually had to have another tattooer hold my ass still. I’m only 3 sessions in and we started this a LONG time ago. Late 2013. Then lots of life’s curveballs were thrown at me and I just wasn’t able to get tattooed. There’s a bit of story with that which I think speaks to my experience and the character of Myke and what a genuinely caring, humble, and down to earth guy he is. I don’t want to go into it with a huge post if it’s of no interest but I’ll gladly share my experience if anyone would like to hear it. 
Anyway, I’m back where I want to be, achieved the goals I set out to reach and am in a place where I can get back into this.

Good work! It is tough, yeah, - I still get the involuntary arse cheek spasms even with the whole area almost covered.
Always good to hear as well a very positive experience with an artist, as well!

On 1/27/2021 at 11:21 PM, FXRrich said:

I believe a few of you mentioned involuntary movements when tattooing the butt and i experienced crazy spasms in my left cheek

I haven’t dug as much through the whole forum, so it has probably come up before, but have you thought about taking a little bit of magnesium supplement? Good for muscle cramps and reducing twitches.  

But then again.... there are just some spots I found, especially over the spine where the tattooer hits it and your whole leg suddenly gets these weird involuntary nerve vibrations and twitches 😂 ain’t nothin gonna save you from that 

Edited by Tsuru

7 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Hi @TsuruSo are you taking a break from inking, for a while now?

I’m due in for another sit with  Matt Collins soon but here’s some older snaps of where it is at now, maybe 22 ish hours in? I think it might need another 8 to go? The cranes will need white and then we have to add the red to their heads and the maple leaves, and then tackle the omamori. Phew.

664E2739-7ADB-4F5C-951B-5729108C9DF5.jpeg

71BE93C3-07FE-4A10-99F5-348CEDA88CC4.jpeg

F0A384B7-0A88-46A1-AAB6-A65224BB15B5.jpeg

Edited by Tsuru

On 1/28/2021 at 3:25 AM, piccalilli said:

Several hundred hours in to my thighs arse back chest and upper arms...
I'd have no compunction to get everything finished with zero pain if there was a way to do it. I don't care about that being part  of the experience, I am done with the stabbing and burning.

Ugh.

Totally, know this feeling 😂👍🏻

@TsuruOh okay; clearly what you have undertaken was not done in a faint hearted way; seems like you have a really strong affinity to Eastern-inspired, large scale artwork even as an initial undertaking.

I know that simple black and white can be attractive for tribal-style patterns, often smaller; and also is regarded as particularly suitable for script designs incorporating Bible quotes, and refs., of which a number of examples have been uploaded on this site.

Hey guys, just read through all 44 pages of this thread and felt I could contribute a few things as I have a back piece in progress with Myke Chambers. It’s very reassuring to hear that a large portion of you felt this is very tough project to tackle. I have my full front done and with the exception of the belly button, the back is just brutal in comparison. I’ve found the sweet spot for me is 3-3.5 hour sessions. That seems to be where my endorphins are drained and it becomes a huge mental battle. 
I believe a few of you mentioned involuntary movements when tattooing the butt and i experienced crazy spasms in my left cheek. Myke actually had to have another tattooer hold my ass still. I’m only 3 sessions in and we started this a LONG time ago. Late 2013. Then lots of life’s curveballs were thrown at me and I just wasn’t able to get tattooed. There’s a bit of story with that which I think speaks to my experience and the character of Myke and what a genuinely caring, humble, and down to earth guy he is. I don’t want to go into it with a huge post if it’s of no interest but I’ll gladly share my experience if anyone would like to hear it. 
Anyway, I’m back where I want to be, achieved the goals I set out to reach and am in a place where I can get back into this.
C4F0C071-8B93-4B3B-BED7-174A54061DEE.thumb.jpeg.44007e80554184d777968c70c525b8fd.jpeg
10F31613-5AA5-4E99-8BA5-00B43C46DEC9.jpeg.327d20ccac91f5d37a5ed91d9859964a.jpeg

It’s looking amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Stephanie said:

It’s looking amazing

@Stephanie Hi; so if you're a veteran yourself at this kind of piece, seems like you're impressed; you're in Yorkshire, England, right? so are big backpieces over there as popular as they are here in North America?

@Stephanie Hi; so if you're a veteran yourself at this kind of piece, seems like you're impressed; you're in Yorkshire, England, right? so are big backpieces over there as popular as they are here in North America?

Yes that’s me and I guess people like them but I also shock most people with it as I have no “visible” tattoos on a day to day and work in an office! I just think nothing looks better though than I big transitional back piece I bloody love it! I honestly will say I don’t think I realised how much I was committed to when I started pain/time/money but now it’s been done for a could of years I love it. It strangely helped me look after myself more too and over the couple of years it took to do I lost 4 stone in weight. I definitely saw the process as a journey. Problem is sat bored in lockdown I am now forever considering a “next project” probably a leg?!? Lol - are you booked in again soon?

3 minutes ago, Stephanie said:

Yes that’s me and I guess people like them but I also shock most people with it as I have no “visible” tattoos on a day to day and work in an office! I just think nothing looks better though than I big transitional back piece I bloody love it! I honestly will say I don’t think I realised how much I was committed to when I started pain/time/money but now it’s been done for a could of years I love it. It strangely helped me look after myself more too and over the couple of years it took to do I lost 4 stone in weight. I definitely saw the process as a journey. Problem is sat bored in lockdown I am now forever considering a “next project” probably a leg?!? Lol - are you booked in again soon?

@Stephanie I know in offices - particularly high end ones - being able to cover tattoos is sometimes regarded as de rigueur and a lot of co workers (you guys call them colleagues, right?) often don't know who is tattooed, yet I'm sure some people in offices would be surprised at how many of their women as well as men co workers who seem like quiet professionals are actually inked up. A design I got on my arm was not a success; soon faded; in any case over here the parlors are all shut down; every US state and Canadians province has its own rules, though.

@Stephanie I know in offices - particularly high end ones - being able to cover tattoos is sometimes regarded as de rigueur and a lot of co workers (you guys call them colleagues, right?) often don't know who is tattooed, yet I'm sure some people in offices would be surprised at how many of their women as well as men co workers who seem like quiet professionals are actually inked up. A design I got on my arm was not a success; soon faded; in any case over here the parlors are all shut down; every US state and Canadians province has its own rules, though.

Yeah we are the same nothing open pretty much at all now / sad times

1 minute ago, Stephanie said:

Yeah we are the same nothing open pretty much at all now / sad times

@Stephanie Fact is that over here it's pretty well conservative ppl - churchgoers, homeschooling moms, etc. - who get widely tattooed as well as those with a flair for the extrovert. So over here if tattoos happen to be covered, you just can't hope to tell any more who would be likely to be tattooed and who is not.

I saw a notice in a parlor window just as things were opening up some months ago: "You need a tattoo". (Well, they would say that, wouldn't they?)

On 1/29/2021 at 10:38 PM, Tsuru said:

I haven’t dug as much through the whole forum, so it has probably come up before, but have you thought about taking a little bit of magnesium supplement? Good for muscle cramps and reducing twitches.  

But then again.... there are just some spots I found, especially over the spine where the tattooer hits it and your whole leg suddenly gets these weird involuntary nerve vibrations and twitches 😂 ain’t nothin gonna save you from that 

I never tried it but that’s probably a good idea and something that would generally benefit me, not just being tattooed. I feel like my diet probably definitely lacks magnesium and i will look into taking some supplements.

5 minutes ago, FXRrich said:

I never tried it but that’s probably a good idea and something that would generally benefit me, not just being tattooed. I feel like my diet probably definitely lacks magnesium and i will look into taking some supplements.

@FXRrich Yes, diet is often overlooked; and probably significant, especially since @Tsuru was high ambitious for a first inking.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2021 at 4:51 AM, FXRrich said:

Then lots of life’s curveballs were thrown at me and I just wasn’t able to get tattooed. There’s a bit of story with that which I think speaks to my experience and the character of Myke and what a genuinely caring, humble, and down to earth guy he is. I don’t want to go into it with a huge post if it’s of no interest but I’ll gladly share my experience if anyone would like to hear it. 

@FXRrich,

it's a pleasure to revisit LST and see some worthwhile content... especially on one of the coolest threads.

I remember seeing or reading Myke's interview from Tattoo Artist Magazine and getting those same vibes that you described. There are many tattooers with similar traits who provide great experiences and create amazing stories to tell. I'd love to hear your experience, but burying it in this thread doesn't seem like it would do it justice. I'm not sure I've seen another thread with that content, but I'm thinking we could start one where folks can share their experiences, stories, and interactions with great tattooers. Thoughts? You wanna take the pleasure of starting a new thread? If not, I'd be happy to start one, add a story and tag you to share yours.

• 10 months later...

Hey all, 

Know this thread has been a little sleepy as of late, but just writing to say how much it helped me prep for my first session with Tony Hundahl on my back. Had it a few days ago and I definitely psyched myself out. I traveled from Chicago to Austin so had plenty of time to let my nerves get the best of me. I went in preparing for the worst, and while it was definitely rough, the tips and techniques mentioned in this thread helped immensely. 

All in all, it was a wild experience unlike any other tattoo I've gotten. Sat for roughly 3 hours and he was able to get the whole outline done. The craziest part for me was that you never really "get used to it" like many other tattoos I've gotten. Every line feels like the first. But in doing so, your mind goes to some crazy places to help get you through it. The "stoke" definitely pulled me through. I finished the session with an incredible high and feeling of confidence that I really wasn't expecting. Such an incredible experience. 

Anyways, going back in a month to start on the shading, and then hopefully booking a few back to back sessions to really get the ball rolling. Can't (but totally can) wait.

-G

PS: Tony Hundahl is the man. Can't recommend the dude highly enough. Since I'm traveling, he wasn't able to trace my back, but he still managed to have a stencil that ended up fitting perfectly. Definitely feel like I'm in good hands.

IMG_8404.jpg

5 hours ago, garrettv said:

Hey all, 

Know this thread has been a little sleepy as of late, but just writing to say how much it helped me prep for my first session with Tony Hundahl on my back. Had it a few days ago and I definitely psyched myself out. I traveled from Chicago to Austin so had plenty of time to let my nerves get the best of me. I went in preparing for the worst, and while it was definitely rough, the tips and techniques mentioned in this thread helped immensely. 

All in all, it was a wild experience unlike any other tattoo I've gotten. Sat for roughly 3 hours and he was able to get the whole outline done. The craziest part for me was that you never really "get used to it" like many other tattoos I've gotten. Every line feels like the first. But in doing so, your mind goes to some crazy places to help get you through it. The "stoke" definitely pulled me through. I finished the session with an incredible high and feeling of confidence that I really wasn't expecting. Such an incredible experience. 

Anyways, going back in a month to start on the shading, and then hopefully booking a few back to back sessions to really get the ball rolling. Can't (but totally can) wait.

-G

PS: Tony Hundahl is the man. Can't recommend the dude highly enough. Since I'm traveling, he wasn't able to trace my back, but he still managed to have a stencil that ended up fitting perfectly. Definitely feel like I'm in good hands.

IMG_8404.jpg

Nice!

11 hours ago, garrettv said:

Hey all, 

-G

IMG_8404.jpg

Oh yeah I forgot about this thread! Glad to hear it helped. Great start.