Full Back Piece Experience Thread

gougetheeyes

On 1/1/2022 at 3:04 AM, Tsuru said:

Just dropping in a pic of my almost finished Matt Collins full back for the thread. Home stretch now, it’s 90% done just got a few touch ups to go, maybe 29 hours work so far I think? Stoked!

7C52C758-4B09-40A6-9D26-00278BE1484A.jpeg

Wow, very nice. A massive amount of respect to anyone who gets work this large done. It looks fantastic! 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2021 at 7:19 AM, garrettv said:

Hey all, 

Know this thread has been a little sleepy as of late, but just writing to say how much it helped me prep for my first session with Tony Hundahl on my back. Had it a few days ago and I definitely psyched myself out. I traveled from Chicago to Austin so had plenty of time to let my nerves get the best of me. I went in preparing for the worst, and while it was definitely rough, the tips and techniques mentioned in this thread helped immensely. 

All in all, it was a wild experience unlike any other tattoo I've gotten. Sat for roughly 3 hours and he was able to get the whole outline done. The craziest part for me was that you never really "get used to it" like many other tattoos I've gotten. Every line feels like the first. But in doing so, your mind goes to some crazy places to help get you through it. The "stoke" definitely pulled me through. I finished the session with an incredible high and feeling of confidence that I really wasn't expecting. Such an incredible experience. 

Anyways, going back in a month to start on the shading, and then hopefully booking a few back to back sessions to really get the ball rolling. Can't (but totally can) wait.

-G

PS: Tony Hundahl is the man. Can't recommend the dude highly enough. Since I'm traveling, he wasn't able to trace my back, but he still managed to have a stencil that ended up fitting perfectly. Definitely feel like I'm in good hands.

IMG_8404.jpg

Hell yes!! Fuckin badass backpiece you're starting there! I appreciate your summary of the anticipation, pain, and emotions. It brings back good (but also horrible 😅) memories and feelings. This thread helped prep me also and posts like yours will hopefully help others in the future!

On 12/31/2021 at 10:19 AM, garrettv said:

The craziest part for me was that you never really "get used to it" like many other tattoos I've gotten. Every line feels like the first. But in doing so, your mind goes to some crazy places to help get you through it.

Oh man, I totally relate to this. I get so nervous before every session, just hoping I can sit well and that my mind cooperates. I've found it makes a huge a difference if I'm stressed out about other things... I really need to be in a good state of mind or it's just miserable and exhausting, without the high at the end.

Can't wait to see updates on this piece. It looks awesome!

On 12/31/2021 at 10:04 PM, Tsuru said:

Just dropping in a pic of my almost finished Matt Collins full back for the thread. Home stretch now, it’s 90% done just got a few touch ups to go, maybe 29 hours work so far I think? Stoked!

Wow, this looks fantastic! It must feel amazing and surreal to be so close to the finish line.

I'm so happy to see others posting here again! I haven't posted an update in a while, but here's my Virginia Elwood back piece at around 26 hours in.

We've been doing pretty short sessions (2ish hours, about once a month). We've done a few more hours in the last month since this picture was taken, but I've been healing pretty slowly in the cold weather and haven't gotten another good healed photo yet. My skin is kind of fussy about the dark red and dark green in particular. It settles in eventually but takes its sweet time.

Hopefully next time we'll have a chance to shade some more of the little creatures too, which I'm really looking forward to.

session 10.jpg

19 hours ago, constantcreature said:

I'm so happy to see others posting here again! I haven't posted an update in a while, but here's my Virginia Elwood back piece at around 26 hours in.

We've been doing pretty short sessions (2ish hours, about once a month). We've done a few more hours in the last month since this picture was taken, but I've been healing pretty slowly in the cold weather and haven't gotten another good healed photo yet. My skin is kind of fussy about the dark red and dark green in particular. It settles in eventually but takes its sweet time.

Hopefully next time we'll have a chance to shade some more of the little creatures too, which I'm really looking forward to.

session 10.jpg

Wow, that is epic! Looks great. 🙂

21 hours ago, constantcreature said:

Oh man, I totally relate to this. I get so nervous before every session, just hoping I can sit well and that my mind cooperates. I've found it makes a huge a difference if I'm stressed out about other things... I really need to be in a good state of mind or it's just miserable and exhausting, without the high at the end.

Can't wait to see updates on this piece. It looks awesome!

Anyone who says they don’t get a bit nervous before sitting to do a session on a full back is…. full of it 😂 well done, yours looks great. It’s worth it all for the finished product 

• 2 months later...

Starting a full back piece early next year. Just finished a full stomach piece including front ribs. To those of you that have a back piece and also have some the full stomach thing, how does it compare? Even in the same league or is back light years worse? I only ask because the stomach was more or less very manageable for me, aside from a full rib session. 

love everyone’s work here and input! 

2 hours ago, Colby744 said:

Starting a full back piece early next year. Just finished a full stomach piece including front ribs. To those of you that have a back piece and also have some the full stomach thing, how does it compare? Even in the same league or is back light years worse? I only ask because the stomach was more or less very manageable for me, aside from a full rib session. 

love everyone’s work here and input! 

I have a full back, entire right side including portions of my stomach, working on the right side; the back was no where near as bad. For me, the only problem areas were the love handles and above the ass crack. If you could sit for the stomach You’ll be fine.

Edited by Hogrider

7 minutes ago, Hogrider said:

I have a full back, entire right side including portions of my stomach, working on the right side; the back was no where near as bad. For me, the only problem areas were the love handles and above the ass crack. If you could sit for the stomach You’ll be fine.

For reference… done by Phuc Tran as Tsunami Tattoo, Portland ME. Can’t wait to start the back now. Thanks dude!

image.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Started my fudo backpiece today! Pain level was different from other areas I’ve had done. Not necessarily worse, but because it varies so greatly over different areas of the back, that makes it hard to get into a rhythm and settle in. Besides that, looking forward to getting cracking on this thing in the coming months!

Done by Phuc Tran, Tsunami Tattoo, Portland ME

EA92C510-319D-4AAD-A6EC-66AAE5648F85.jpeg

Hey, new poster here. After years of planning (and saving!) I finally started my back piece this week, with Nick Mayes at North Sea Tattoo in Scarborough, UK. I asked for 'the Kraken thrashing around in the sea while a flying saucer tries to beam it up'. The design did not disappoint! 

As for the session itself, even at a relatively short 2 1/2 hours of actual tattooing, it was pretty tough. As others have said, your body doesn't get used to the pain like it does on a smaller piece. The needle is always on the move to somewhere fresh and so every line feels like the first. I'd say most of the back was an 8/10 pain, with one or two areas only a 7, but a couple were a good 9.5, namely the love handles, lower back and butt crack (that one is like some whole new type of pain!) We will be doing 2-3 hour sessions every month or so, which should keep progress moving well. As for now, I'll leave you with what we've done so far, and will keep you updated. It's an honour to join this legendary thread! 

spacer.png

4 hours ago, Unkempt27 said:

Having only just done the lining, I'm really hoping it's the shading lol 

Nothing is easy on the love handles. After my artist drew on my back piece, he started to do the lining right on my love handle. I remember thinking, I'll never be able to sit through this, but the endorphins kicked in and I made it. I didn't think the upper back was bad at all. At one point, I actually almost fell asleep while he was shading. The only thing that kept me awake was the thought that if I fell all the way asleep and he hit a sensitive spot, I might move when I woke up and screw something up.

• 4 weeks later...