Full Back Piece Experience Thread

gougetheeyes

• 3 months later...

I did my pretty fast (2 months) and it had its good and bad sessions. Doing it so fast made it seem like a routine which was nice instead of doing it really slow and dragging it out. I had a few sessions where I'd pull an all nighter and then go get tattooed hungover or still drunk which were the really bad sessions haha. I did 4 hour sessions mostly with the exception of a few 5 hour ones and yea it sucked but if you want to do it then do it right. Most rewarding tattoo i've gotten and when I get back stateside I'm looking forward to do my torso. My arms are clean which I don't mind because it makes me laugh when people with shitty sleeves talk about how cool their tattoos are. Go for it and good luck!

• 4 months later...

I am pretty surprised by the times stated to complete a full back piece but as mentioned earlier if you plan to do butt and upper thighs also then this easily doubles the time.

I am having a traditional Japanese piece done from neck to knees which will take around 100 hours to complete.

I am unsure how some people are having full back pieces done in 25 that's pretty speedy. As for the pain its like any old tattoo there are places that make you wince and others that are no problem. I do 4-5 hour sittings at a time as I get twitchy at around 5 hours not sure why possible running out of endorphins.

Perhaps my artist just works slow but I would say if you are planning on full coverage from neck to knees then you would be more in the 75-100 hour range

I am pretty surprised by the times stated to complete a full back piece but as mentioned earlier if you plan to do butt and upper thighs also then this easily doubles the time.

I am having a traditional Japanese piece done from neck to knees which will take around 100 hours to complete.

I think the answer to your question is in how you're defining a backpiece. Yes, if it's a traditional style japanese piece that goes from neck to knees then it might easily take up to 100 hours.

However, what if it's american traditional or a smaller japanese-style piece that only goes to the waist? That'll take a significant amount of time off. If it's black and grey, or has a significant amount of negative space, then even more. I think my backpiece would fit into this category - it took around 25 hours (OK, maybe 25-30...) :-

img_4125.jpg

This backpiece, by Xam (The Family Business Tattoo, London) was done in 16 hours:-

2798836141_08ec0df20e_z.jpg?zz=1

Now that does blow my mind. Similarly, I've seen other backpieces on that scale banged out in short spaces of time, attributed to people like Filip Leu.

I think the answer to your question is in how you're defining a backpiece. Yes, if it's a traditional style japanese piece that goes from neck to knees then it might easily take up to 100 hours.

However, what if it's american traditional or a smaller japanese-style piece that only goes to the waist? That'll take a significant amount of time off. If it's black and grey, or has a significant amount of negative space, then even more. I think my backpiece would fit into this category - it took around 25 hours (OK, maybe 25-30...) :-

img_4125.jpg

This backpiece, by Xam (The Family Business Tattoo, London) was done in 16 hours:-

2798836141_08ec0df20e_z.jpg?zz=1

Now that does blow my mind. Similarly, I've seen other backpieces on that scale banged out in short spaces of time, attributed to people like Filip Leu.

that xam backpiece is so awesome

Yeah, it's the 'tattoo with tattoos in it' aspect and the sheer insanity of the girl-riding-killer-whale concept.

Xam is doing a guest spot at Ross Nagle's shop in Ireland in November, and taking bookings... That would be a hell of a way to totally jump his waiting-list (...except I'm out of the country getting tattooed... If I could split myself in two I wouldn't face these first-world problems).

My back piece experience so far. Hmmm, where to begin...

Both empowering and humbling is my best description.

Empowering, because despite after always admiring the full back pieces I'd see in tattoo magazines in the 80's and 90's, then, especially here on LST, I never in a million years thought I'd ever be able to do it. But, this year, at age 46 I started mine on June 30th. I had it built up in my head that it would be the most painful experience of my life, and was so worried that I'd have to quit halfway through, but then I saw the stencil on my back and I was like "It's so awesome. Cool, so what if it wraps around my ribs and goes collar to waist, I can do this."

Well, I did do it.

It wasn't easy, but I made it through the outline (Shit tons of lines, but he got it on me in 3hrs 40mins.) Yeah, it was painful as Hell. I knew going in what I was about to put myself through, and went in with my head in the game. All of the shading and coloring has been painful as hell as well, but I always see progress, and it keeps me stoked for the next time. I'm about halfway done now at the 17.5 hour mark, taking it in 3 hour or so chunks, plus random tattoo of opportunity times.

Humbling, because all the other tattooers and clientele at the tattoo shop doing my back, and other people that have seen my back piece are now like so reverential of it (think "Whoa, Dude, how the Hell did you do that?")

I feel like all I did was just lay there and take it because I REALLY, REALLY wanted a ROA back piece.

Once it's finished I'll get get to wear this motherfucker till they put me in the ground and I'm worm dirt.

All I know is I saw two LSTers recent backs and I think we need to see some pictures.....Saw one at the convention then Scott showed me a picture of someone elses he did this week.....share up........pls!

will load a pic soon, rocked the lst shirt saturday, I must have missed you friday. Scott gave me ride out there and i made a quick round and then went and ate.

holy shit, Scott. Soooo the laser was all worth it then? Haha, you don't have to answer that!

took this picture yesterday 4th day of healing already peeled

SF trip was better than i could have ever expected or deserved.

found LST(pic 1) got great advice (pic 2) listened to said advice !(pic 3)

Thanks for posting this. I found LST because of your laser removal thread. I just had my third session on Thursday and these pics let me know it will all be worth it. Amazing!

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't see in the post Sylvia did do it. Looks super good!