Full Back Piece Experience Thread

gougetheeyes

@Scott R

Wow man how many cool tattoos you healing at the moment..!!!!

So happy for you with regards to your new back piece and all the other cool tattoos you now have.

I so need to go get another laser and a new tattoo next month.

thanks man , just keep going to frith and be sure to update us on your visits

• 1 month later...

I just flew from Tokyo to LA and spent four consecutive days getting a Rock of Ages on my back from Eddy Deutsche.

Although I got my first tattoo over 15 years ago, I only became obsessed with tattooing in the last few years.

This forum has been very informative so I thought I'd share my experience.The pics are all taken from Eddy's instagram account.

I decided I wanted a ROA back piece from Eddy; repeatedly pouring over copies of Tattoo Time was a big part of this decision.

I e-mailed him three months ago telling him that I wanted a ROA, but not a trad one.

He asked if I was open to Sci-Fi elements, I said yes please, and here's what I got ;)

We had planned to do four days of four hours. I was terrified from having read the longest sessions thread, but Eddy assured me that "the stoke" would pull me through and it did. I did the entire thing straight. We didn't, however, do 16hrs; we ended up doing something like 3, 4, 2, and 2. The second day was the roughest and basically doing my whole right side rib area on the third was also painful. The comment I got from Freddy Corbin on the third day (shown in the last pic) made my day.

It's not done, but we came very close.

Eddy was awesome, entertaining, and supportive, and despite the pain, the whole thing couldn't have been a more pleasurable experience.

I look forward to going back for more.

Thanks for sharing that, @taaarro! I, too, followed it on IG and was floored by each update. I had the pleasure of being tattooed by Eddy back at 222 in 1999. Not only is he amazing, but he's fast--and an absolute pleasure to talk to. You get a killer tattoo, great stories, and an experience you'll never forget. Sounds like you got all that in spades! Congrats.

Thanks for your comments! I'm very excited with the piece. I forgot to include another part of my experience that I think you all would appreciate...

So when I was going crazy with anticipation waiting to see a drawing for the piece and checking my email a billion times a day, Eddy sends an email saying that his "old friend Dan Higgs" said "whoa" three times in a row when he saw the drawing and that that was a very good omen. And then my head almost exploded ;)

• 2 months later...
BUMP!

When receiving full neck to thighs, what does one wear? I was thinking I can get a disposable lab coat from work and just wear it backwards?

@Cork I wear a couple of loose long sleeves and a zip up sweat hoodie and knit cotton boxers with sweat bottoms and sneakers that I can slip in and out of. Maybe a good idea to bring an extra pair of boxers or a towel depending on how your artist wraps you up. The reason for the extra layers for me is because I generally get inked in the fall through early spring and I layer for the cooler to cold temps. Add the fact that if I'm oozing or bleeding after the session and the wrap/bandage doesn't hold well, it won't bleed through all the layers.

Mine has a lot of outline work and I can't believe he got all of it on me in 3hrs and 40 mins.

It was rough to get through, but there was no way I was gonna puss out on it.

It's all done now, touchups and all (reminds me, I need to get a good , healed pic of my back, without florescent lights glaring off of Vaseline)

I'm so happy to have it and that I get to keep it till I'm worm dirt. I never thought I couldn't finish it, but I'm glad I never have to put myself through that again. I'm a bit obsessive about getting large multi-session tattoos finished in the order I started them.

• 2 weeks later...
Ha. The drawers. Just drop 'em, hop on the table, and you're good to go.
Its not like your tattooer hasn't seen some ass before. lol

Well I don't know about you guys, but I sweat like a mother when I'm uncomfortable. I would not be able to just drop them in public like that. I think I am going to go with the bath robe idea, if only for my own comfort.

Well I don't know about you guys, but I sweat like a mother when I'm uncomfortable. I would not be able to just drop them in public like that. I think I am going to go with the bath robe idea, if only for my own comfort.

Mine stops just below the belt, on purpose...

The conversation about how to do the layout on my back piece was as follows...

Tattooer: "You don't want this to extend onto your ass do you? I've known you for quite a while now, your my friend, and all, but if I never have to see your skinny naked man-ass in person, I won't feel like I've missed anything."

Me: "Eh, same here. If I never have to feel your nitrile gloved hands spreading my ass cheeks apart I won't feel like I missed anything either."