Full Back Piece Experience Thread

gougetheeyes

The Kings Ave crew has been great about putting up temporary screens when I have to drop trow, hahaha. Mostly because they don't want the other customers disgusted and throwing up from my nekkidness, hahaha. I usually keep a long sleeve t-shirt handy during breaks. I end up tying the sleeves around my waste so that the body of the shirt blocks the privates and nothing touches the back/rear that's being worked on. Then I can traipse around the shop or head to the bathroom. It works for me, still scares or surprises the other clients, hahaha. Here's a pic of one side of the Kings Ave Manhattan shop from opening week back in 2011. Yours truly on the left getting worked on by Henning, Rubendall on the right working on another client (Grez and Sara Carter (Schor) in the background). As you can see, sometimes the crew likes to be close by to keep good conversation going and things can get pretty intimate between clients proximity to one another and their state of dress (or undress) haha.

img_0138.jpg

Not entirely related to getting a back piece but i have something spanning from my armpit down to my knee and when we work on it i just drop them completely. im deffinitely self conscious of my body but i feel really comfortable when i do it at a tattoo shop. if anything he asks me to just hid my bits by covering with my briefs. but yeah everything including the ass is exposed. it's just way easier imo

Not entirely related to getting a back piece but i have something spanning from my armpit down to my knee and when we work on it i just drop them completely. im deffinitely self conscious of my body but i feel really comfortable when i do it at a tattoo shop. if anything he asks me to just hid my bits by covering with my briefs. but yeah everything including the ass is exposed. it's just way easier imo

At this point I am just used to lifting my skirt and letting everyone stare intently at my ass under very bright lights for five hours or so. Oh, my mother would be SO proud! ;)

But yes, despite feeling self conscious, the tattoo studio is a relatively comfortable and safe place for droppin' the drawers, and the results are so awesome I am totally glad to do it. :)

I think @hogg mentioned a bathrobe trick?

Bring bathrobe.

Ensure Lebowski status.

Change in bathroom so that the opening is facing the back instead of the front.

Waddle out of bathroom.

Shake that booty a bit. (my edit, natch ;))

Then be serious and let your artist do her work.

WOO Tattoo!!

>:)

I know I joke about a lot of stuff (especially my skinny naked man-ass!!!) but really, getting the back piece has been like therapy for me this past year.

Starting March 19th 2012 I started having some really bad back and pelvis issues. Through misdiagnoses and what not it has been a real struggle to get it corrected. A LOT of really low points in my life over the past year with some very bad chronic pain. I was beginning to get to the point that if pain was all that was left for me the rest of my days, I'd just pull a Hunter S. Thompson and not live like that anymore. Chronic pain over a long period of time can fundamentally change your personality.

But, anyway I went ahead and I got the back piece started on June 30th, 2012, and about once a month thereafter I'd go in for another 3 hour session. For those 3 hours I'd know getting tattooed was going to hurt worse than my back and pelvis was that day, when it was gonna start hurting, about how much it was going to hurt, and then, when I'd had enough, I could say "Stop, I've had enough."

Long story short, I got the back all finished, touch-ups and all around January 20th 2013. Ironically (hipsterism!!!) I was reading Tamblog shortly thereafter and saw one of the health posts and discovered Piriformis Syndrome (look it up on wikipedia folks, it ain't fun), turns out that's what I have. It can be fixed with exercise and physical therapy, and I'm now on the road to recovery. I ain't out of the woods completely yet, but I'm getting there. I feel much better now and I've buried Hunter completely.

• 1 month later...
My backpiece experience is scheduled to begin in February 2015. :D

Exciting! Who are you going with??

Nevermind, I just saw you on Rubendalls instagram haha, nice one man, respect for going the extra mile for an appointment! I think its awesome he does it like that, it really does weed out the people who are serious from those who arent really bothered.

My backpiece experience is scheduled to begin in February 2015. :D

Lucky to just be at the beginning, Thats always my favorite part of a large piece. And lucky to have Mr. Rubendall work on you. When I started my back I found it to be very discontenting that i wasn't able to watch. So I didn't know exactly when the needle would hit and id spasm a lot. But the pain was minimal compared to other spots

I saw the picture he posted of the people who camped out all night to get an appointment with him.

The line was around the block...I love his work,but wouldn't want to wait over a year for an appointment.You never even now if your going to be alive when your time comes to get tattooed.

I found Rubendall's wait time allowed me to figure out what I wanted and it tempered me from doing anything impulsive. Additionally, I personally don't like getting tattooed during the warmer months so having those 4-5 months cut out help me out as well. It also allowed me time to save money for the tattoo. I'm used to waiting as I started off getting tattooed by Henning Jorgensen and maybe saw him only once or twice a year as I waited for him to roll back around to NYC. Good things to those who wait I guess as it has resulted in me being able to convince Rubendall and Henning to collaborate, not something commonly done by either artist.

The waiting in line experience:

Only the first person in line "camped out", I was told he got there at 2am and the shop manager (Jen) hinted that his request was for something you wouldn't expect someone to go to Mike for. A few people arrived around 6-7am and then the majority of the line showed up between 8am and 11am. I got there a little after 11am and there was about 25 people ahead of me. I finally got to the front of the line at 4pm.

Waiting in line was actually a good time. More than half the people already had work by Mike and were looking to extend half sleeves, start sleeves on the other arm, backpieces, etc. It was cool seeing Mike's work in person and talking with other people who are passionate about tattoos.

I'm excited about getting my backpiece started and wish the first appointment was sooner, but the 21 month wait will allow to me research what I want more thoroughly (although in the end I will probably just throw a few general ideas at Mike and let him take control). Also the wait time gives me plenty of time to save the money for this huge investment. I also think I should use the long wait to adopt a healthier lifestyle so I can survive the 6-8 hour sessions I have scheduled. It will be worth the wait!

The waiting in line experience:

Only the first person in line "camped out", I was told he got there at 2am and the shop manager (Jen) hinted that his request was for something you wouldn't expect someone to go to Mike for. A few people arrived around 6-7am and then the majority of the line showed up between 8am and 11am. I got there a little after 11am and there was about 25 people ahead of me. I finally got to the front of the line at 4pm.

Waiting in line was actually a good time. More than half the people already had work by Mike and were looking to extend half sleeves, start sleeves on the other arm, backpieces, etc. It was cool seeing Mike's work in person and talking with other people who are passionate about tattoos.

I'm excited about getting my backpiece started and wish the first appointment was sooner, but the 21 month wait will allow to me research what I want more thoroughly (although in the end I will probably just throw a few general ideas at Mike and let him take control). Also the wait time gives me plenty of time to save the money for this huge investment. I also think I should use the long wait to adopt a healthier lifestyle so I can survive the 6-8 hour sessions I have scheduled. It will be worth the wait!

Sounds almost like a live version/meet up of LST! hahaha! Glad everything worked out and the weather cooperated. I need to stop into the Long Island shop sometime this summer just to say hello.

Fuckin A. The anxiety is going to kill me way more than any needle point pain. I've decided to nut up for the first glute/ham session and not take any painkillers. I watched that Horiyoshi 3 video where he said that men get full body suits to prove that they are men and they can take the pain. This is the mindset I'm going in with. We'll see if it changes, haha.

Fuckin A. The anxiety is going to kill me way more than any needle point pain. I've decided to nut up for the first glute/ham session and not take any painkillers. I watched that Horiyoshi 3 video where he said that men get full body suits to prove that they are men and they can take the pain. This is the mindset I'm going in with. We'll see if it changes, haha.

Wow I didn't realize painkillers were an option. I've always thought if you can't get through it on your own you don't deserve to have it. But I'm old school like that

- - - Updated - - -

Wow I didn't realize painkillers were an option. I've always thought if you can't get through it on your own you don't deserve to have it. But I'm old school like that