Full Back Piece Experience Thread

gougetheeyes

I just got my back lined a few days ago and I was expecting the ass portion to be excruciatingly painful. I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't bad at all. It was actually one of the easier spots in my opinion. No drugs or anything. Just eat right and sleep well beforehand.

• 2 months later...

I started my back last month, neck to knees, a large Oni/Hannya faced lady holding a lantern - taking reference from the scale of Shige and Calle style backpieces, but painted by the artist. I was incredibly nervous going into it, I had built it up in my mind to be the worst thing ever, and I was stressing out about not even being able to get through the first full outlining session...I have had a lot of work done before, and this kinda added to the worry, because I know how bad it can hurt, and how much I do not enjoy getting tattooed! The first session went really well though, I think the fact I had been waiting and wanting this for so long really helped - I wouldn't have ever let myself quit halfway through. The back is NOT an easy area, there are some really bad spots, for me it was behind the kidneys, thin lines on the spine as well as the whole coccyx area...it all sucked, those areas just stood out as being particularly bad! I have had two big shading sessions since then, healing is tricky, thank christ for my girlfriend helping with the bacitracin, also it has been hands down the itchiest tattoo I have ever had! Maybe because it covers such a large area, and everything is itching at the same time! it has been an eye-opening experience so far - It feels like a long, daunting task to get the whole thing finished, once session at a time I guess!

• 2 weeks later...
I was inspired by Graeme's Instagram account when he posted that dude getting a backpiece in 5 hours. I've decided I would like a backpiece in a day as well. Trying to save up enough money to pay for two tattooers work on my back at the same time. Tax refund season couldn't come sooner.

They were tattooing before the convention opened so it was probably more like a 6-7 hour backpiece, to be fair.

This is my take on it, I use them occasionally and I'll say that the tattoo still hurts like a mofo, you're just in a more relaxed state to deal with the pain. If it's going to make it a little easier for me and much easier for my tattooer, I'm all for it.

As far as earning my tattoos, I've got plenty a sober tattoo in some painful areas so as far as I'm concerned, i've earned the right to get tattooed how I damn please.

I was trying to sum this up in the numb-y thread but you nailed it right here. I don't feel the need to prove how tough I am to myself or anyone else. All my most painful tattoos so far were while I was sober, but I have no problem taking meds to keep myself relaxed, which is more important than pain relief imo.

Edited by hogg

Oh hell yeah man you must be all kinds of giddy! Sh*t I'm giddy for ya lol. Do you have an idea of what you want or are you letting Mike have total freedom and are you going to the knees?

I think I am just a tiny bit excited about it hahaha Full back, neck to knees. It is going to be Japanese and I think I want a dragon to be included but I basically plan on giving Mike 100% freedom with it.

Do you have any idea what your O'Donnell backpiece is going to be?

I think I am just a tiny bit excited about it hahaha Full back, neck to knees. It is going to be Japanese and I think I want a dragon to be included but I basically plan on giving Mike 100% freedom with it.

Do you have any idea what your O'Donnell backpiece is going to be?

You can never go wrong with a dragon back piece! I too am going full back and pretty much gave Chris freedom over it with the guideline of to go dark. I told him my interests were deities, demons, malevolent creatures and that it would cool if it came from Japanese folklore. In the end though it's going to be whatever he comes up with. Start in January 2015 with a session every month except for June, July, August and September with the same scheduling for 2016 till completion.

This cannot be said enough times.

(But DO IT DO IT DO IT)

I'm the type that usually gets 1 shots. So the idea of an unfinished back piece might drive me crazy. Thus, the 1 shot back piece, haha.

- - - Updated - - -

Mike Rubendall. First appointment isn't until February 2015.

Wow February 2015?!? That's wild!!! I pray for the day Rubendall will do Walk-in Saturdays, haha.

I was trying to sum this up in the numb-y thread but you nailed it right here. I don't feel the need to prove how tough I am to myself or anyone else. All my most painful tattoos so far were while I was sober, but I have no problem taking meds to keep myself relaxed, which is more important than pain relief imo.

After the last session hitting a love handle, I have also changed my mind about needing to prove anything to anyone. The next love handle is going to go much better. At least I hope...I need to find a shady character who might be able to help.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I knew I shouldnt have opened this thread! I did obviously out of my own concerns. Which were all just very validated. My partner is smack in the middle of his back piece adventure and doesnt seem to mind. I however have a horrible large lower back tattoo that will need to be covered in the process. My fears of having to get my ass tattooed are a reality im going to have to face. Aside from the hesitation due to the pain involved, its a huge commitment. Im not set on any one image, that actually changes depending on the artists i'd have to choose from locally in order to get it done in a timely fashion. With all of that being said I know once its finished I will be a VERY happy camper! ;)