Full Back Piece Experience Thread

gougetheeyes

@idyllsend, the shop I go to typically puts up screens for privacy, so perhaps yours does too. I'd ask the Shop. As for covering up, some people put on hoodies backwards or something similar. I think this thread dealt with it in a little detail too. Hope it helps.

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/general-tattoo-discussion/5371-ladies-thread.html

I will have to get pretty naked, the most I can see keeping on is my undies but they'd have to be pulled down anyway...do you ever bring a blanket to cover your front side while your stencil is being put on?

Any advice related to being completely naked while being tattooed will be extremely appreciated.

Bring the question on over to The ladies thread (thanks Lance!). I don't think we've talked about being nearly completely naked during the process, so copy your question right on to the end of the thread. There are lots of option for wearing clothes in unintended ways and strategic placement of fabrics. But yeah, I'd be pushing for a screen or curtains, especially to a parking lot! Good topic, and welcome!

So I have a modesty related concern, directed mostly at women with full back pieces or tattooers.. I would say I'm fairly comfortable being naked, but not with an audience, and the shop I'm getting my full back piece at [with partial buttocks] is pretty open, and there's two big windows by his station [in retrospect I should've directed these concerns to my artist already, but until then...] and a big parking lot can see directly in.

Any respectable artist will cover the windows and possibly provide a screen from the rest of the shop, yeah?

I will have to get pretty naked, the most I can see keeping on is my undies but they'd have to be pulled down anyway...do you ever bring a blanket to cover your front side while your stencil is being put on?

Any advice related to being completely naked while being tattooed will be extremely appreciated.

Definitely check out the ladies thread - lots of answers on what to wear. I have full back and partial buttocks and not once have been completely naked - yoga pants. They will most likely use screens around the table you are being worked on. Honestly, it was not as a harrowing experience as I imagined, don't over think or worry too much.

.. I'm very pleased to read this nice topic about full back piece... and obviously discover that the more painfull and sensitive part is the lower back according to a lot of your comments... So now I won't say I'm afraid but let's say I'm know clearly informed about what I will go through when I will fill in the lower part of my back.

I have currently one half back tattoed with a traditional Haida eagle with 2 heads (check my gallery). This project took me of course some time and money but at pain level, let's say it was easy to support.

It seems the lower part will be another story:(

No pain No gain...

@idyllsend When I was getting my back done, it was basically whatever I was comfortable with. They had no problem setting up the screen. As far as looking out the windows... well anyone peering in the windows got lucky. Reverse bathrobe is the best bet. For me I have a fundoshi and a towel. But I don't really have to worry about covering up boobs.

@Ditch Belgium It's all relative. Fresh hits are the worst, but as soon as the area gets used to being tattooed, the pain eases up as you can acclimate to it.

• 4 weeks later...

I have just started my back piece (with Richard Pinch in Aberdeen, Scotland) and I really wish I'd read this thread before I went! I booked an all day sitting, against the advice of Richard's receptionist, because I've done all-day sittings before on my arms and I thought it would be fine. It was not fine.

3 hours in, when Richard was lining over my ribs, the room started to spin, I broke out in a sweat like someone had turned on a tap, and I thought it was goodnight vienna. Head between knees, breathe, breathe, bit of chocolate, drink of water, breathe, breathe. We started again after 10 minutes but I never felt quite right after that. Still feel a bit sick this morning. Just made it to 7 hours, though, and I can't believe what he managed to get done in that time - he just does not stop. Before we started, he said I could take as many breaks as I wanted, and I said breezily, "oh, I'll just take a break when you do". How he laughed! I've no pictures yet but I'm ecstatic with how it's looking so far - is a crane, wings outstretched, flanked by two big leafy peonies. I'm going to get it extended downwards over my bum but it will be three hour max sessions for me from now on.

I'm still not sure quite what happened with the near-faint episode: I've never got close to that before. Combination of the pain, and low blood sugar, and probably holding my breath I think. There weren't any easy bits either - it just felt like being drilled! Up there with childbirth in my own personal pain index, no question All that said I feel totally elated today.

I have just started my back piece (with Richard Pinch in Aberdeen, Scotland) and I really wish I'd read this thread before I went! I booked an all day sitting, against the advice of Richard's receptionist, because I've done all-day sittings before on my arms and I thought it would be fine. It was not fine.

3 hours in, when Richard was lining over my ribs, the room started to spin, I broke out in a sweat like someone had turned on a tap, and I thought it was goodnight vienna. Head between knees, breathe, breathe, bit of chocolate, drink of water, breathe, breathe. We started again after 10 minutes but I never felt quite right after that. Still feel a bit sick this morning. Just made it to 7 hours, though, and I can't believe what he managed to get done in that time - he just does not stop. Before we started, he said I could take as many breaks as I wanted, and I said breezily, "oh, I'll just take a break when you do". How he laughed! I've no pictures yet but I'm ecstatic with how it's looking so far - is a crane, wings outstretched, flanked by two big leafy peonies. I'm going to get it extended downwards over my bum but it will be three hour max sessions for me from now on.

I'm still not sure quite what happened with the near-faint episode: I've never got close to that before. Combination of the pain, and low blood sugar, and probably holding my breath I think. There weren't any easy bits either - it just felt like being drilled! Up there with childbirth in my own personal pain index, no question All that said I feel totally elated today.

I don't mean to laugh, but god I relate. After the shock Of the stencil sank in I took a few sips of Gatorade and boldly proclaimed I am ready. The artist tapped my love handle and said I'm gonna start here and work up. I made a little joke that why wouldn't you start on the worst part first.

I have always felt weird trying to convey "my pain" to someone who is like completely suited from neck down. Like oh my back hurts and he's like yea try back of the knees.

But Every damn line hurt so bad that all I could do was count to 10 and breathe (in my experience most artists will hit you for a 10

Count between ink reloads).

My cousin stopped by the shop around hour 5ish to check on me and he said he couldn't even look at me being finished up I was such a mess. The last 45 minutes I swear I would flinch each time he rested his hand on me. I was told I sat well, I really think that he was being nice lol.

that is great advice about the 10-count before reloading, misterJ - thank you. I will remember it for next time. You're right, it all hurt. In the past I've found the first ten minutes or so really suck, and then it gets easier, but that never happened this time. And I was a mess by the end too! I can't remember much of the journey home, but my husband was pretty appalled by the state of me when I got there.

Hospitelli - that's exactly how I feel when I think of how bright and breezy I was before we got started. I just didn't have a clue.

I have a friend that wants her first and only tattoo to be a backpiece. I gave her a rough estimate of how much that'll cost, and how many hours we are looking at. I hope she pulls through.

So my friend sat for almost 4 hours to get her back lined. Sat like a rock. Totally tougher than me. It's on Yutaro's IG feed (@warriorism). And progress pics on my IG feed too (@dammitcabs).

So my friend sat for almost 4 hours to get her back lined. Sat like a rock. Totally tougher than me. It's on Yutaro's IG feed (@warriorism). And progress pics on my IG feed too (@dammitcabs).

Wow. That seems like a lot for four hours. I'd have broken long before that!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I spent about 2 years finding my artist, and then had to wait another 1.5 years to get in for my first series of sittings (had to cancel my original appointment because of work stuff).

My first series of sittings went down last week, and went Wed/Thurs/Fri with a planned 4 hours of needle to skin time per day.

Day 1 was spent with a lot of stencil placing etc (took about 2 hours to get fully set up), and then the 4 hours of blasting went down. Got most of the outline done (upper/mid back).

Day 2 we completed the outline on the lower back and shaded in some of the upper back over the span of another 4 hours.

Day 3 we started on the shoulder extension I requested, finished that outline, and then continued shading various areas (whatever wasn't too raw), but ran out of time 3 hours in because I had to catch my plane home.

Ribs were intense, vertebrae as well...otherwise it all went really well.

I blazed on day 1, took a CBD pill on day 2, and handled day 3 sober. I would say that the CBD pill was extremely effective at allowing me to relax through the process, and brought my anxiety level way down despite my pain levels being more or less the same...I highly recommend you try this, if you have access.

Came home after day 3, left plastic wrap on for about 5 hours, removed it, rinsed back without soap, and then went to bed.

Now, 3 more days later, scabbing is drying up, so I am applying a little bit of unscented cream to get it through the day, but allowing it to just be exposed/dry at night after showering and cleaning gently with anti-bacterial soap.

I am now about 30-40% done, and couldn't be happier. I continue on with more sessions hopefully in 5 months (I am on cancellation list), otherwise won't be back in until July 2015 for another 3 day stint.

If anyone would like to see it, add me on IG (Instagram), and i'll post pictures up as it heals. My username is THECHIU

• 1 month later...

i know this is an old thread.. but thank you for this! (i think.......) i'm 80% sure i'm going to get a full back piece done and i honestly thought the back would be one of the easiest places to get something done outside the arm area...

so thank you everyone for scaring me... lol