Full Back Piece Experience Thread

gougetheeyes

It is great to hear that I am not the only one who questions WTF did I start a backpiece. Only today I have finished a 3 hour background shading session on my left ass cheek and upper thigh. I now can look forward to 4-5 days of hovering over toilets when needing to take a sh*t and general discomfort of sitting anywhere. :) Doing a backpiece at the start seems such a great idea at the time but it can be a long hard slog. I am now into mine for about 40 hours and we haven't even started colour.

For me it has been a great eye opener for people that are heavily tattooed. I used to always see large scale work in pictures and loved the look of it etc, but it is only now that I can appreciate the long hours of not only tattooing but the healing and day to day discomfort that the healing brings.

I always thought the actual tattooing sessions were the worst but I am now appreciating that the week after each session can suck just as much.

Not trying to put anyone off a backpiece as once done the results can be spectacular, I am just saying it can be a long road. :)

@Shaggy - pretty much agree with everything you've said. I've had many WTF's. This has certainly been eye-opening for me. I had no idea what a back piece entailed, and I think I'm happy I didn't know when I started. But, it is truly an awesome thing and will be so worth it!

@SeeSea, I have for you the ultimate question. Would you start the process of a backpiece again if you had the time over?

I am pretty confident I would do it all again. :) Even unfinished I still look at mine and think of it as great art that will be with me forever and I think I can't wait to see the end result.

Maybe I just should stop whining about the process and look forward to enjoying the stunning art at the end of it all.

Cheers

It is great to hear that I am not the only one who questions WTF did I start a backpiece. Only today I have finished a 3 hour background shading session on my left ass cheek and upper thigh. I now can look forward to 4-5 days of hovering over toilets when needing to take a sh*t and general discomfort of sitting anywhere. :) Doing a backpiece at the start seems such a great idea at the time but it can be a long hard slog. I am now into mine for about 40 hours and we haven't even started colour.

For me it has been a great eye opener for people that are heavily tattooed. I used to always see large scale work in pictures and loved the look of it etc, but it is only now that I can appreciate the long hours of not only tattooing but the healing and day to day discomfort that the healing brings.

I always thought the actual tattooing sessions were the worst but I am now appreciating that the week after each session can suck just as much.

Not trying to put anyone off a backpiece as once done the results can be spectacular, I am just saying it can be a long road. :)

That is an amazing piece you have going and I sympathize with the agony of the heel. Those tender areas take a good 2 weeks to be 100% and back to normal. I do love when you are in the shop and everyone is talking about their back-piece experience. How they are so glad that it's behind them. They talk about how getting a back piece just sucked. I can't remember how many times I heard "man I'm glad that's over".......

@SeeSea, I have for you the ultimate question. Would you start the process of a backpiece again if you had the time over?

This is a hard question I just tried to answer about 4 different ways, and realize I don't have an answer yet. I hope that I would, because it's turning out awesome! But I'm truly glad I didn't decide to make an informed decision. (Got that?) I originally wanted something in the middle of my back, maybe football sized, based on some underwater pictures I'd taken. Then the tattooer I'd contacted "educated" me that a sea scene needs real estate! It took some real time on his part to explain why my thinking wouldn't work. Then he took it upon himself to design the entire piece from my references, for free, illustrating how awesome going large would be. He emailed me the design superimposed on a picture of my bare back. My brain threw a short, and I committed to a full back about an hour later.

After two sessions when reality set in, I found LST. :rolleyes:

@Reyeslv,

Thanks for the comment, I can't wait to see the finished product. I have found thigh/ass area quite hard to heal. Almost all other areas on body were happy after 2 weeks but thighs and ass for me have been hard work. Add to that areas which I have never shaved before in my life being shaved and I just cant wait for it to be over.

All I can say end result will be worth it.

- - - Updated - - -

@Seasee, I love it. You have to love the spontaneous decisions. In a way my backpiece was very quick in the planning. I wont bore you with the story, but the main design of my back was decieded within probably 6 weeks and a fair bit of flexability left in the artists hands.

I love how it is turning out and fall in love with the design more each day.

Sometimes being spontaneous and going with your heart can be the best way. :)

Anyone have any stories about massage parlors and the reaction of the masseuse? I went to an Asian place last week and the lady was practically pulling my boxer briefs down so she could see my entire butt. Even when the massage started and she saw my back, she laughed and semi-hugged me. It was an awkward experience. That was the first time a masseuse acknowledged the tattoo.

One masseuse gasped in surprise when she pulled down the sheet and saw my back and didn't mention it until the session was over. Then we had a nice conversation because she had some interesting indian-looking symbols.

Another younger kid saw it right away and then went on and on about his ambigram tattoo after asking all the standard questions. Couldn't take the nice hint to shut up and get to work. Told me about his idea for a big quote across his back. After the session I had a chat with him about quotes and prime real estate, and told him about LST. I even suggested a bad ass panther instead :-) Maybe he's checked this place out. Heck, maybe I've welcomed him and not known it!

@Cork My lady treated us both to a couples massage this past weekend. I was expecting some sort of reaction but didn't get one. They just went about their business and it was a new place we were trying and the experience was kinda of "meh". Not the best massage I've gotten. Previously about a year ago before the background was really laid in, I had gone to another couple's massage and the masseuse kept poking at my back to see if the ink was real and/or dry. Pretty hilarious. Plus was the masseuse was great...really beat the crap out of me.

my personal budget realities are making it appear more and more likely that i'll be scaling my back piece project with Rubendall down to 1 or 2 smaller but still big projects (thigh piece and maybe stomach piece). back piece is still part of my plan but will be looking at local artists.

@BrianH That must have been a tough decision. At least you're still holding down that time with Mike for something.

Yea it is tough but after making some calculations I decided it was better to keep things manageable enough that I can still enjoy the experience. My original plan was just a thigh piece but I got over excited waiting in line on Mike Rubendall appointment day and it turned into a back piece by the time it was my turn to schedule appoints.

Also someone else can have their tattoo dreams come true with the appointments I give up.

Does anyone who has or is currently enduring a full back piece extending to knees have any comments on healing arse and upper thigh area?

For some reason, mainly the thigh area is taking me alot longer to heal than normal. Nearly every other area on my body after the 1st week it is healed and all scabbing/flaking has gone and I am only left with the shiny skin.

On my thighs even after 3-4 weeks there is still slight flaking and almost 2nd healing of the skin. Thankfully this isn't resulting in colour loss or dropouts but just has me curious why it is taking so long.

Also I have to make the comment, having your arse shaved for the tattooing sucks as it can become very itchy and annoying in the next week or 2. :)

My thighs took a while as well, because of all the sitting. I was told that high contact areas always take longer to heal, and now I see that it's true. I found that the fabric soaked up a lot of moisture, so I just tried to do a double dose of lotion anytime it felt dry.

Personally I love the feeling of pants on freshly shaven skin. I wish it were more socially acceptable for guys to have shaved legs.

My thighs took a while as well, because of all the sitting. I was told that high contact areas always take longer to heal, and now I see that it's true. I found that the fabric soaked up a lot of moisture, so I just tried to do a double dose of lotion anytime it felt dry.

Personally I love the feeling of pants on freshly shaven skin. I wish it were more socially acceptable for guys to have shaved legs.

Yeah I have to say I cant wait till we get to return to the back area. Hopefully only a few more shading and background sessions on arse/thighs then colour on the back. :)

Cork, You can have your shaved arse and legs. Might feel smooth for 2-3 days but then just is itchy as hell and horrible to deal with. I cant see any scenario in future that they will be ever shaved again. :)

Cork, You can have your shaved arse and legs. Might feel smooth for 2-3 days but then just is itchy as hell and horrible to deal with. I cant see any scenario in future that they will be ever shaved again. :)

So I just searched LST for posts about waxing before tattoos to extend that smooth feeling you're longing after, and the only hit was @Cork asking this very question a couple years ago. He was soundly ignored. But here you guys are with your sly winking about mystical exhilarating feelings lately, maybe you should go give it a try. ;)