Full Back Piece Experience Thread

gougetheeyes

A reminder, every backpiece is different.

Design, subject matter, linework, colours, details, finer details, ink saturation...your stamina, that tattooers stamina, your height/weigh, your skin and health, the tattooers' experience, work flow, skill and speed, the needle clusters used, how many smoke breaks you take, the frequency of sessions...a lot of variables at play.

Checked out the work on insta, I can't believe that was all done in only 8-9 hours total...that's awesome!

Just out of curiosity, those on here that have completed a full backpiece (or are in the process), what timeframes did it take? I have seen everywhere from 15 hours - 60 hours

To be fair, mine is not a full back piece. It's not nearly as complex or layered as some and I'm 5'6" and 150 pounds. Not to mention I'm being tattooed by a notoriously fast tattooer.

- - - Updated - - -

A reminder, every backpiece is different.

Design, subject matter, linework, colours, details, finer details, ink saturation...your stamina, that tattooers stamina, your height/weigh, your skin and health, the tattooers' experience, work flow, skill and speed, the needle clusters used, how many smoke breaks you take, the frequency of sessions...a lot of variables at play.

This

Checked out the work on insta, I can't believe that was all done in only 8-9 hours total...that's awesome!

Just out of curiosity, those on here that have completed a full backpiece (or are in the process), what timeframes did it take? I have seen everywhere from 15 hours - 60 hours

Mine with all the breaks removed was about 80 hours needle time. The fine detail just blew it over the top. I am flabbergasted at a backpiece in 10 hours.

I am typing this on my phone, so please excuse any mistakes or odd auto corrects.

I apologize if I started a bit of a crap storm on this thread. I didn't mean to at all. It is of no relevance to anyone else's tattoo in regards to how long mine is taking and I never intended any.

One of the first things that folks seems to ask about my back is how long it has taken so far. I am assuming that is because Chad Koeplinger is notoriously fast and everyone knows that. I put that info in my post because I assumed it would be asked. I wasn't trying to brag or insinuate ANYTHING other than my experience.

My back cannot be compared to those with a full back piece or even those with background in a biker back piece. I have a big back tattoo that has so far taken less time than I would have thought. Whatever. Who cares? I guess I do because I am happy with the progress in the time we have spent. I salute all of you. The back is very painful and it takes real dedication and humility to commit to.

Please understand that I didn't mean anything negative. I fled odd posting in this thread and even moreso now.

All the best to you folks with in progress pieces. They are amazing to watch unfold.

@Rob I I am really impressed with your back, sorry the time it's taken has been a source of controversy around here. But I do think the subject of backpiece times is interesting to read into, I haven't even decided who I'd like to tattoo my back yet so I can't really weigh in on that one yet but I know after about 6ish hours of Chad drilling on my front that your tattoo is well earned to say the least.

@Rob I I am really impressed with your back, sorry the time it's taken has been a source of controversy around here.

I don't think there has been any "controversy" or anything in a negative way and I hope @Rob I doesn't take it that way. I certainly didn't mean it as anything other than "wow," and imagining if it were in any way possible to have gotten mine done in a an unexpectedly short time.

It's interesting to hear about some tattoo artists being faster or slower than whatever anyone considers an average time for a particular tattoo. Mine certainly could have been a little faster if we didn't take 2-3 passes on some parts (different sessions) to really pack in the color. That was very unexpected and not pleasant!

jesus bud ! ribs, kidney and lower back session...you are the dragon warrior !

the lower back still blows my mind how bad it was...like one of THE worst spots...how did that spot ever become popular ? it gave me a new found respect for the shy ladies with hidden rebellion, women with questionable morals and men with really sexy tastes alike!

I'm very surprised at how easy and fast the healing has been with my back overall and especially with this most recent session. I was worried that the area closest to my armpit would have some trouble healing because it twists and stretches a lot with almost ever movement. 4 days after the session that section has been the first to fully flake/peal. Still red and sore but overall a pretty comfortable healing experience.

@BrianH just wait for more spine seshes hehe ... i found the spots that run the spine to be challenging to heal because of the daily movement and difficult to apply ointment without someone to help. So maybe my challenges were actually from the dry healing ! Will be interesting to hear your perspective...

Spine healed fine for me. The sides up near the armpit scabbed every session on both sides and on ribs all the way down to my hips. I lost a little bit of color in several places but the final touch-up session took care of that. I took such good care of it but I couldn't avoid the scabs. I'm not sure if it was movement during healing or the area was a little more chewed up since as a girl I've got a little more fatty tissue there to grind through. Or because I'm older and the wounds just don't heal as easily as they used to. I sit at work but try to move around a lot, and resumed running half way through healing, although the scabs had already formed by then.

Excellent on the healing @BrianH!