Blowout, or healing process?

DCBlueStar

Hi Guys.

I got my 2nd tattoo last Wednesday... so as of today, it's 6 days old. My first was all line work with no color... so naturally, this is my first colored tattoo. I'm a bit concerned and wondering if anyone can tell me if this looks like the normal healing process, or is my tattoo blown out? I'm hoping it looks normal to you all, but I don't have much experience with tattoos, especially colored ink. Since I'm sort of a "n00b," I'm having post tattoo anxiety. Hoping someone with more experience can give some feedback. Thanks for looking.

One photo is right after the session finished... the other photo is from just now.

tat.jpg

IMG_3563.jpg

7 hours ago, Gingerninja said:

Way too soon to tell but looks normal at this point. What are you doing for aftercare?

The first three days I put fragrance free Lubriderm on it… I avoided the shower/bath until the sixth day… I was giving myself sponge baths, in the interim, so to speak.

Since then I’ve been using Lubriderm, Ora’s Amazing Herbal Tattoo Salve and Hustle Butter.

In the first few days I was washing it with fragrance free soap a few times a day, and patting dry, while it was weeping.

I have been keeping it out of the water and sun.

I am not expecting perfection… But as I said, I am new to this. Especially this being my first color tattoo that is more than just line work… I want to make sure it is looking/healing normally. 

I think I am sort of past the most susceptible timetable for infection, which is my primary concern. I know that I can still get one, but I really worry while it is weepy. 

Edited by DCBlueStar

58 minutes ago, DCBlueStar said:

The first three days I put fragrance free Lubriderm on it… I avoided the shower/bath until the sixth day… I was giving myself sponge baths, in the interim, so to speak.

Since then I’ve been using Lubriderm, Ora’s Amazing Herbal Tattoo Salve and Hustle Butter.

In the first few days I was washing it with fragrance free soap a few times a day, and patting dry, while it was weeping.

I have been keeping it out of the water and sun.

I am not expecting perfection… But as I said, I am new to this. Especially this being my first color tattoo that is more than just line work… I want to make sure it is looking/healing normally. 

I think I am sort of past the most susceptible timetable for infection, which is my primary concern. I know that I can still get one, but I really worry while it is weepy. 

well listen, sponge baths and not washing it is your first mistake ! you NEED to wash it a few times a day with any OTC anti-microbial soap,FROM DAY ONE !

don't swim or soak in a bath, but you can take showers and wash it !~ !!!  you HAVE to !  

and I use to use Lubriderm  until I found Aveeno,WAY better.  make sure you don't overdue the lotion either.use a very light coat.

Edited by Dan

1 hour ago, Dan said:

well listen, sponge baths and not washing it is your first mistake ! you NEED to wash it a few times a day with any OTC anti-microbial soap,FROM DAY ONE !

I really suspect that the most important thing for such minor skin damage as a tattoo is just to keep it clean...

(although I couldn't find too many medical references either way, but when I had a skin biopsy I wasn't instructed to use anti-microbial soap)

Edited by PinkUnicorn

2 hours ago, PinkUnicorn said:

I really suspect that the most important thing for such minor skin damage as a tattoo is just to keep it clean...

(although I couldn't find too many medical references either way, but when I had a skin biopsy I wasn't instructed to use anti-microbial soap)

well,from what I have learned is that an "anti-microbial" soap cleans infectious germs better than the ordinary "anti-bacterial" soap we are all commonly used to.I have been using a basic one like this for years and on many many tattoos and I have yet to get an infection,now I'm not saying it will work or is needed for everybody,but it has worked well for me.  https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-antiseptic-skin-cleanser-4/ID=prod6329601-product?ext=gooKBM_PLA_-_Health_Care&pla&adtype=pla&kpid=sku6276171&sst=84f55c5a-36b2-452d-b9c2-91888e50bfd5

a tattoo is a fresh skin wound and it just makes sense to me to treat it like any other skin wound.

"The primary difference between antibacterial and antimicrobial substances is the types of microorganism they act upon. While antibacterial products prevent the development of bacteria, antimicrobial agents such as alcohol-based hand sanitizers prevent the spread of bacteria, fungi, and some viruses. This is a much broader scope of protection than the protection found in antibacterial products."

now the soap I use is not a "alcohol-based hand sanitizer " but you get the idea.  https://www.microban.com/blog/antibacterial-vs-antimicrobial

"

Is there a difference between antibacterial and antimicrobial?
The primary difference between antibacterial and antimicrobial substances is thetypes of microorganism they act upon. While antibacterial products prevent the development of bacteria, antimicrobial agents such as alcohol-based hand sanitizers prevent the spread of bacteria, fungi, and some viruses."

this is just my opinion and preference.

just sayin'

Edited by Dan

Who said it was complicated? 
I didn't say I wasn't bathing at all. I said I was sponge bathing (using jug water).
I avoided getting in there and letting it get soaked because our city water was going through a treatment.

I'm confused about the aggressiveness. 

Edited by DCBlueStar

• 9 months later...