Short sun exposure new tattoo

bangodrums

1 hour ago, bangodrums said:

is it enough to damage the tattoo? cuz i have 2 sessions left, i could get the areas touched up

it's really not going to damage the tattoo,(at least that has been my experience)

it will mostly just be painful while in the sun,

in a few more days you could use some lightly applied sunblock or just keep it covered up.

best to just keep it out of the sun for the first week or so,

and actually I use sunblock as an ongoing thing if I am going to be in the sun for prolonged times on all my exposed skin & tattoos no matter how old they are.

the sun is not good for our skin just in general practice on tattooed or plain skin.

Edited by Dan

36 minutes ago, Dan said:

it's really not going to damage the tattoo,(at least that has been my experience)

it will mostly just be painful while in the sun,

in a few more days you could use some lightly applied sunblock or just keep it covered up.

best to just keep it out of the sun for the first week or so,

and actually I use sunblock as an ongoing thing if I am going to be in the sun for prolonged times on all my exposed tattoos no matter how old they are.

the sun is not good for our skin just in general practice on tattooed or plain skin.

Thanks alot man 😄

You guys are weird. 5-15 minutes of barely any sun exposure isn't going to do anything to your skin, tattoo or life unless you are in outer space and way closer to the sun than we are. Not even if you were walking on mirrors reflecting all the UV rays right at your fresh tattoo.

If I were you, I'd worry more about being scared of the sun. Because the sun is going to be here for a long time and your tattoos will fade regardless of how you care for them.

23 hours ago, lape said:

You guys are weird. 5-15 minutes of barely any sun exposure isn't going to do anything to your skin, tattoo or life unless you are in outer space and way closer to the sun than we are. Not even if you were walking on mirrors reflecting all the UV rays right at your fresh tattoo.

If I were you, I'd worry more about being scared of the sun. Because the sun is going to be here for a long time and your tattoos will fade regardless of how you care for them.

Ever hear of skin cancer? It's from cumulative exposure to the sun. And tattoos don't fade REGARDLESS of how you care for them. The better care you take of them, the longer they last. 

So are you saying that the person should be worried that their tattoo got 5-15 minutes of sun exposure? Because I'm saying that's crazy, even if you're on the equatorial line.

Tattoos fade regardless over time. How much it fades depends on a million factors (including sun exposure), but they all fade.

Did you know you could get cancer from the lack of vitamin D which sun exposure is one of the main sources for? The clue is moderation.

37 minutes ago, lape said:

So are you saying that the person should be worried that their tattoo got 5-15 minutes of sun exposure? Because I'm saying that's crazy, even if you're on the equatorial line.

Tattoos fade regardless over time. How much it fades depends on a million factors (including sun exposure), but they all fade.

Did you know you could get cancer from the lack of vitamin D which sun exposure is one of the main sources for? The clue is moderation.

I never said that someone should worry about one single 5-15 minutes of sun exposure. What I said was that it's cumulative - increasing or increased in quantity, degree, or force by successive additions.

How much a tattoo fades does depend on multiple factors, not a million ;-) but it would seem prudent to avoid the one that also causes skin cancer. It's funny how the people I know that avoid the sun almost all have nice bright tattoos and the people I know that spend a lot of time in the sun almost all have significant fading on their tattoos. Maybe it's just a coincidence.

Did you know that you can get vitamin D from lots of sources other than the sun?

Considering that 40% of Americans are lacking vitamin D, most people probably don't go other routes. Norway is at 30%, yet a large part of our population doesn't even see the sun for 6 months (and the sun is too weak to give the rest of us vitamin D). Experts recommend 15-30 minutes of sun exposure to arms and face (depending on skintype).

But looking at skin cancer stats, if you're American, then it's understandable to worry more about it as it is the most predominant type of cancer by a long shot. Here it's not even on the list. But the read on what vitamin D deficiency does isn't exactly happy reading either.

YOLO or something 😉