Hey there

illu

Hi! I'm Kat.  I actually don't have any tattoos yet but have been wandering around this forum for a while, seeing what everyone else had to say about their own experiences.  I thought I'd finally join and post because I'm in the planning stages of getting my first tattoo and want some advice from people who are way more experienced than I am.  Hope it's okay that I'm posting stuff before even having a first tattoo, you just seemed like the most knowledgeable community out there and so the perfect place to turn to.  

Looking forward to getting to know all of you awesome people.

21 hours ago, Hogrider said:

Welcome. Do lots and lots of research. From reading what is posted on this forum, it's pretty apparent that most people don't. Find out what can go wrong so you aren't unpleasantly surprised. Make sure you get the best artist possible. Understand the limits of tattooing. Research aftercare. Good luck.

Oh about researching aftercare -  I've gotten such mixed reviews.  Most tattoo artists are on the "do exactly what your artist says" train, but a lot of people comment about bad experiences when following what their artist says.  Would you guys recommend researching after-care and following what the internet says or just sticking to the tattooer's guidelines?

Thanks so much for all of the warm welcomes everyone!  It's lovely to feel welcome :))

3 hours ago, illu said:

Oh about researching aftercare -  I've gotten such mixed reviews.  Most tattoo artists are on the "do exactly what your artist says" train, but a lot of people comment about bad experiences when following what their artist says.  Would you guys recommend researching after-care and following what the internet says or just sticking to the tattooer's guidelines?

Thanks so much for all of the warm welcomes everyone!  It's lovely to feel welcome :))

I would follow the artist's recommendation. I will say less is better. I think the biggest mistake most people make is putting too much of whatever they use on the tattoo. You just don't want it to dry out, no need to drown it.

If you do some research on this site you'll find enough different methods to completely confuse you! I use a hot bath as part of my after care, which most people say is a big no no, but I've been using that method for 5 years and have significantly less discomfort and all of my tattoos have healed well with no fading. My artist learned that from Filip Leu, so that's good enough for me.

5 hours ago, illu said:

Hi and welcome ! on this topic, from my experience I am not convinced that tattoo artists always know the best healing methods,

IMO trial and error, knowledge of basic first aid,and a little common sense, is the best way to heal,we  all heal  different and our skin is very different.

we know our own bodies better that any tattoo artist does.

there is no good one answer to it.

you know what they say ! "opinions are like assholes,everybody has one"