For me I see a picture of a tattoo or a tattooer doing a tattoo of a certain image and sometimes they just stick with me. I almost get obsessed in looking at variations of that one image and love seeing peoples takes on them. So lately I have been looking at, watching, and searching for ship or boat tattoos. I tend to enjoy ones that stick close to traditional tattoos but enjoy many of the variations.

So here are some recent ones that I have been enjoying and wishing the quality of the pictures for some were better so I could really gaze at them.

Lets see your ship or boat tattoos and/or those that you enjoy looking at as well....

Snappy Gomez LST Tattoo Gallery- Ship

Mr. Frog LST Tattoo Gallery- Ship back piece in progress Do you have any updated pictures of this?

Erik Gillespie LST Tattoo Gallery- Ship, Anchor & Heart

I love ship tattoos. Here is mine by Klem at Samuel O'Reilly's in Santa Cruz.

Every time I see a tattoo by Klem, I end up starting at it for a very long time.

Photo by stelltattooart • Instagram

This was on a dear friend, who wanted to take what was on her back, and get rid of a few things... but mainly she wanted a ship.... She sits so good...

Covered three stars on her shoulders with the eagle, and making the butterfly into a jollyroger... It's a work in progress but coming along nicely.

Although I don't have a ship tattoo (yet), it's definitely in the future plans. I go back and forth between preferring black and grey or color with the ship tattoos, I've seen some great examples of both. I kind of like the black and grey stormy ship scenes which probably aren't true traditional.

Bill Loika is one of the best -

Those are great. Tattooer at the shop just got back from Amsterdam and was able to get a walk in tattoo from Bill Loika, he got a Mister Lucky smoking a joint.

- - - Updated - - -

Although I don't have a ship tattoo (yet), it's definitely in the future plans. I go back and forth between preferring black and grey or color with the ship tattoos, I've seen some great examples of both. I kind of like the black and grey stormy ship scenes which probably aren't true traditional.

I have a battleship but not a clipper. I think the ships look better with color, but I think you could do some cool things in black in gray. I kind of like the stipple shaded black and grey look that people like Mike Adams are doing, gives traditional tattoos a rough tough black and gray look.