Hi everyone

tcgjake

Hello all! New member here, I recently moved to LA so I am debating whether to try out a new artist for my next tattoo or to just stick with my normal tattoo artist who is only about 2 hours away. I've attached my previous two from him for reference and I'm looking to get a shrunken head next. I've been pretty happy with both tattoos I've gotten from him but know there are tons of incredible artists nearby to choose from as well. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_8650.jpg

IMG_8651.jpg

2 hours ago, Dan said:

I personally prefer going to different artists,

unless you want to build on a themed sleeve,etc,etc

yes there is a lot of good talent in so cal, 

it all depends on what style you are interested in getting,

My artist has done my sleeves and my legs, but I occasionally go and get a tattoo from someone else. I love his style, and I want him to finish what he started on my sleeves, but I like fill-ins from others. Just depends on what you want.

Thanks for the advice and warm welcome! I think I will try out a new artist for my next one. One more thing, this next tattoo will fill up the last large space on my lower arm. I have a bunch of small filler tattoos I want although I am not very particular about the placement or even the design, would it be normal to let an artist know I have some random spaces, and give them 8-10 things I want but let them choose 2-3 to tattoo or do you think it would be preferred to just provide the specifics when scheduling. I am not typically very picky and since they'd be choosing from a list I would be pretty comfortable letting someone more artistic than me choose what makes sense in the available space.

I was going to post a new topic but looks like I haven't reached my post requirement yet so leaving this here instead. I have an appointment on Friday with an artist I am getting tattoo'd by for the first time and wanted to comment on how refreshing the experience was due to his use of technology. Once we discussed the design and decided on a date, I was invoiced for my deposit through Square (with the option to use Venmo or Paypal to avoid a transaction fee) and as soon as the credit card was processed I was emailed not only a receipt but a calendar invite with my time and the shop details on it so I have all the details on my phones calendar without having to type it out myself. Today I received an automated reminder reminding me about my upcoming appointment and their 24 hour cancellation policy which was a nice touch as well. 

I'm sure this is becoming the norm but it doesn't seem like a lot of shops are taking advantage of all the incredible new software available to businesses. For example, an automated email could be sent the day of the tattoo explaining aftercare, providing social media links to tag in photos and even a link to their yelp page explaining how much reviews help the shop. I'd personally love to be added to a distribution list to receive weekly photos of the tattoos they did that week, flash the artist wants to tattoo and upcoming events. Do you like this sort of thing or do you prefer more human interaction when preparing for a tattoo? I realize this is all pretty simple stuff but is there any other new software or technology you'd like to see your shops start using? 

23 hours ago, tcgjake said:

I was going to post a new topic but looks like I haven't reached my post requirement yet so leaving this here instead. I have an appointment on Friday with an artist I am getting tattoo'd by for the first time and wanted to comment on how refreshing the experience was due to his use of technology. Once we discussed the design and decided on a date, I was invoiced for my deposit through Square (with the option to use Venmo or Paypal to avoid a transaction fee) and as soon as the credit card was processed I was emailed not only a receipt but a calendar invite with my time and the shop details on it so I have all the details on my phones calendar without having to type it out myself. Today I received an automated reminder reminding me about my upcoming appointment and their 24 hour cancellation policy which was a nice touch as well. 

I'm sure this is becoming the norm but it doesn't seem like a lot of shops are taking advantage of all the incredible new software available to businesses. For example, an automated email could be sent the day of the tattoo explaining aftercare, providing social media links to tag in photos and even a link to their yelp page explaining how much reviews help the shop. I'd personally love to be added to a distribution list to receive weekly photos of the tattoos they did that week, flash the artist wants to tattoo and upcoming events. Do you like this sort of thing or do you prefer more human interaction when preparing for a tattoo? I realize this is all pretty simple stuff but is there any other new software or technology you'd like to see your shops start using? 

I had the same experience with a tattooer on Maui,and I liked it a lot too.

I think it is the norm for them to use Square and email receipts also,which I like too.