Bumps on black ink

JessicaRae

I know this post is now a couple years old, but if by any chance you are still dealing with this, I think I figured it out. I have had this issue since I've had tattoos!!! 

I have trouble with candida and have always had bumps on the backs of my arms, but I have some that never go away inside healed tattoos and they flare during the summer months.

I just tried dandruff shampoo Nizoral for my scalp, and figured I'd try it on my arms and accidentally discovered these bumps magically going away! My tattoos are brighter, almost new looking again too. 

I think your bumps are yeast spots/candida! It's totally normal, but my guess is postpartum hormones spiked an imbalance/overgrowth for you, which I hope was temporary. If not- try this!

• 3 weeks later...
I have these show up on my old black tattoos after getting newer tattoos. In the past few years I have been getting inked on a regular basis. I would see maybe 5 bumps randomly on old tattoos and assumed it was my blood pressure or just scar tissue(never thought about a reaction to tattoo ink). They would disappear in a few hours. Two weeks ago I had a patch of them on an old tattoo that would not go away. Still didn't put two and two together. A week ago I had a large red ink tattoo done on my calf and the bumps exploded across my arms. My hives cover both arms(100+ bumps) but don't itch. Doctor says it is still an allergic reaction even though they don't itch. I had what is called a pseudolymphatous reaction. It is an inflammatory response that results in lymphomatous-appearing but BENIGN accumulation of inflammatory cells. Basically my bumps look like skin cancer but are not. They are likely permanent. High dose antihistamine and/or high potency corticosteroid cream will not work. Only surgery will guarantee a remission.
Please see a doctor if you are worried and make sure you are treating it ASAP. I hope everyone has a better outcome than I did. I'm not salty about it and I reassured my artist that they have no responsibility in this. I didn't realize the ongoing issue and there was no way the artist could have known.

On 2/6/2022 at 5:03 AM, Peaches Mulder said:
I have these show up on my old black tattoos after getting newer tattoos. In the past few years I have been getting inked on a regular basis. I would see maybe 5 bumps randomly on old tattoos and assumed it was my blood pressure or just scar tissue(never thought about a reaction to tattoo ink). They would disappear in a few hours. Two weeks ago I had a patch of them on an old tattoo that would not go away. Still didn't put two and two together. A week ago I had a large red ink tattoo done on my calf and the bumps exploded across my arms. My hives cover both arms(100+ bumps) but don't itch. Doctor says it is still an allergic reaction even though they don't itch. I had what is called a pseudolymphatous reaction. It is an inflammatory response that results in lymphomatous-appearing but BENIGN accumulation of inflammatory cells. Basically my bumps look like skin cancer but are not. They are likely permanent. High dose antihistamine and/or high potency corticosteroid cream will not work. Only surgery will guarantee a remission.
Please see a doctor if you are worried and make sure you are treating it ASAP. I hope everyone has a better outcome than I did. I'm not salty about it and I reassured my artist that they have no responsibility in this. I didn't realize the ongoing issue and there was no way the artist could have known.

I’m very sorry to hear that. I know it’s the least of your worries but do your tattoos appear ok or have the bumps messed up the appearance. It must be pretty distressing for you. Health has to come first though. 😞

Edited by Simong

On 2/6/2022 at 12:03 AM, Peaches Mulder said:

I'd get a second opinion. I'm not a doctor, but I sure as hell wouldn't give up after two weeks.

5 hours ago, Nits said:

Hii, i have little bump on my tattoo....after consulting with dermatologist he didn't prescribed me any medicine. He told me it's granuloma.can you tell me is it self treatable or not

Did you read the post about Nizoral at the top of the page? I'd start there; it's cheap and easy to try.

@oboogie is right though, we're not doctors. I've been lucky, but I've heard that a lot of doctors have a negative bias towards tattoos. That may be why there's the "too bad, you're stuck with it attitude." When the dermatologist didn't prescribe anything and told you it's a granuloma, did you ask any questions?

I'm not trying to be a dick, but stand up for yourself and take a little initiative. It took me literally two seconds to find this article - https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/granuloma-annulare/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20351323. That's where I'd start.

Sorry, but not sticking up for yourself is one of my pet peeves. I had a friend that was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis. His doctor told him to stop exercising and stay off it. I just about exploded. I told him to tell the doctor that that was unacceptable and what were his options. He wound up getting anti-inflammatories and physical therapy. It healed much faster and didn't reoccur, which would almost certainly have happened if he's just stopped using it until it was better and went right back to what he was doing before. YOU are responsible for your medical treatment, nobody else.

Edited by Hogrider

I did ask my doctor what options do we have, he told me we can't do much about it as it's quite tiny bump and if it grows big then we will see what we can do. I asked him will it go away on it's own then he told me can't say much about it maybe it will go or maybe these bumps will be there with you forever. i was so scared and looking for options if anyone faces the same issue. Thank you guys for responding.