Bumps on black ink

JessicaRae

Sudden bumps/swollen areas on black ink within 8 separate tattoos (1.5-4 years old) for approx 3 weeks now. They hurt sometimes, don’t really itch and are sometimes sore to the touch. My doctor thinks it’s a delayed reaction to the ink or hypertrophic scarring that’s showing and will go down... Its very alarming to see these bumps all over my tattoos! The tattoos are located on my feet, fingers, arm and thigh.  They’re not ingrown hairs, razor burn, pimples etc. No change in general medication.  I am 10 weeks postpartum and my doctor suggested maybe it’s hormonal but... I just don’t think that’s it.  Benedryl topically or orally doesn't seem to help either. Wondering if anyone has any insight or previous experience?

7C4B3193-3161-4B66-9BB2-736028AC0A04.jpeg

F5106CE6-2DB6-47BC-9FD8-7B16314C3A61.jpeg

5E4A5831-A110-4EA0-8C61-02C79C6DB594.jpeg

948AFB89-0141-45AB-9A75-220E121E39F9.jpeg

3A53EC55-30ED-4691-8674-2726EEB24093.jpeg

96AE0E6C-E8AD-42E4-B47A-861F96064AD7.jpeg

Edited by JessicaRae
More photos

Not overdoing moisturizing to my knowledge.  It happened suddenly and got worse then maintained intensity.  The only change is weather recently but he didn't seem to think this was the cause.  I was thinking perhaps it was from a pedicure then i realized it was also on my thigh, arm, and fingers...  Trying to patiently wait for the swelling/bumps to go down like my doctor suggested but it's easier said than done as I'm a bit of a worrier. 

My doctor did not mention biopsy.  You said you dealt with a similar issue?  What was the verdict, if any? 

Really crazy, huh?  Nope, nothing like that. I wondered about the anesthesia because I had an emergency c section as I wasn’t dilating, but doctor confirmed that wouldn’t have taken so long.  Just sooooo incredibly strange considering none of these are new and I have other tattoos all over that aren’t suffering.  Dynamic Ink was the ink used and the artist had a heavy hand, can’t help but wonder if in these spots, perhaps the ink went a little further and/or I’m just now reacting to this ink? Or?!  I have no idea.  They actually have itched a little today.  More recently, especially on my finger tattoos, it almost feels like the ink is going to burst out of my skin.   I’m a science project 🤷🏼‍♀️

• 2 weeks later...

It seems to be mostly on the line work, does it not? Rather than on shaded areas.... the line work on mine sometimes raises when I’m very hot.. Granted, it’s never in lumps like that, nor is it as much.

Sorry I can’t help with a diagnosis. Do you mind me asking why you’ve dismissed pregnancy as a cause? My wife has just had a baby and it’s crazy how the body reacts! 

@Sol James I’ve also had ink raise before but now it’s over 1 month and bumps... it is mostly on line work and a couple within the shading on my right foot.  They are still sore when I bump them and have been a little itchy again.  I think being postpartum could be a reason my body is reacting to the ink or tattoos in general.  Hormones all over the place... perhaps my body is attacking the ink and it’ll take time for it to realize its not a threat.  I’ll be sure to post updates, I know it’s a curious topic 😞 

• 1 month later...

For some reason, some people that have black ink tattoos with sarcoidosis have this happen.  They're not sure why the sarcoid granulomas only seem to go after the black ink but here we are!  Healing my body now through food and not going to consume 23902038 steroids just to remove these.  I hope to post after photos in no time.  

Thank you all for your help and concern!  xo