Hello :) Quick question: chair rental, commission or both?

galcianuk

Hey guys-

Nice to meet you all.

I'm doing some research into the tattoo industry and one topic which is quite hard to find information on is how artists are generally reimbursed.  So I have a few questions; any information you can provide will be very useful :).

1. Do you know any situations where tattoo artists are employed by the studio, rather than being contractors?
  2. If they are employed, do they have a minimum wage + commision on top? Like a salon.
  3. If renting a chair, do artists also give a percentage of their income?
  4. Do different artists in the same studio have different deals?
  5. What kind of contract do artists normally sign? If at all?

Thanks a lot in advance for any answers you can provide

If you're an artist that's thinking about starting a relationship with a studio, maybe these are questions that you should run by an attorney.  Things differ from state to state and it'd probably be worth investing in professional advice on something that could a major impact on your financial future.

And welcome.

2 hours ago, el twe said:

Hi.  Why do you care?

Hello :). 

As said, I'm researching the tattoo industry in general and unlike almost all other industries, there seems to be a secret pact on how artists are paid :P. 

Edited by galcianuk

55 minutes ago, JAC1961 said:

If you're an artist that's thinking about starting a relationship with a studio, maybe these are questions that you should run by an attorney.  Things differ from state to state and it'd probably be worth investing in professional advice on something that could a major impact on your financial future.

And welcome.

Thanks :). I'm not an artist, just looking for information.

Edited by galcianuk

You're probably not going to get a good answer here, and you'll probably have to be a bit less secretive if you want to get a straight answer from any reputable artists.  This is the type of question that (to me) only seems relevant to: elementary school "what I want to be when I grow up" reports, actual tattooists, or someone trying to leech off the industry.  Good luck.

2 hours ago, el twe said:

You're probably not going to get a good answer here, and you'll probably have to be a bit less secretive if you want to get a straight answer from any reputable artists.  This is the type of question that (to me) only seems relevant to: elementary school "what I want to be when I grow up" reports, actual tattooists, or someone trying to leech off the industry.  Good luck.

I know. If there is a legitimate reason for the information, why the secrecy?

Edited by Hogrider