first post

dbeatty

Hey guys, I recently joined this forum so I could get done advice about colouring in my tattoo but I can't post in the tattoo discussion topic. I assume it is because I need to post here first. But I may as well ask the question here.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice about drawing colors on my skin. I my first tattoo is a tiger and dragon around a sword on my arm that is for my daughters (based on the year they born) and I would like them to help me colour it in. At 6 and 8 years old, I thought the best option would be to have them draw on it, then take a photo of it and have a tattoo artist try to best match it. Unfortunately the artist doesn't have a copy of it for me to have the girls draw on. A friend did suggest that I use wet pencil crayons but I'm not sure if that will work. I also want them to write their names in the sword in their respective sides, but I think a regular pen will be more than sufficient for that. The tattoo is five months old and fully healed, but I'm going in for a touch up next weekend for a couple lines that weren't right so I have time to wait before they draw on me. The image is from August when it was done.

I tried to Google this but it was basically just makeup advice to get the proper skin tone which is mildly irrelevant to me as a male that doesn't wear makeup.

20190111_233941.jpg

5 minutes ago, Hogrider said:

Why can't you just take a picture of it yourself and print it out so they can draw on it?

I tried, but I always ended up failing because of the curve on my arm. Plus I'm pretty sure my six year old would go berserk to be allowed to draw on Daddy's arm. I can't get her to colour very often it seems.

6 hours ago, SStu said:

Nothing against honoring your children here, but I've seen some pretty horrible tattoos where the artist was asked to reproduce little kid's work. Either way you're going to end up explaining the result for a long, long time . . . 

None of my business but I agree with SStu. As it stands it's a nice tribute to the girls and their unchanging birth year. Let them color it in and it will likely become a less good tribute to one moment of their lives- when they are young. If your goal is to add color and also have your daughter's participate maybe have them choose the colors but then let a professional artist decide how to apply them?

Again- do what you want- it's your family and your arm- but as long as you asked for advice from internet strangers my advice is to come up with different plan. 

For what it's worth I like the tattoo as it is currently. 

22 minutes ago, AverageJer said:

None of my business but I agree with SStu. As it stands it's a nice tribute to the girls and their unchanging birth year. Let them color it in and it will likely become a less good tribute to one moment of their lives- when they are young. If your goal is to add color and also have your daughter's participate maybe have them choose the colors but then let a professional artist decide how to apply them?

Again- do what you want- it's your family and your arm- but as long as you asked for advice from internet strangers my advice is to come up with different plan. 

For what it's worth I like the tattoo as it is currently. 

You guys are right. And that's also a concern of mine too. I know the favourite colours are purple and red so another thought I had was to just have that as their eyes or something small like that. Personally I'm on the fence about colouring it or not as I think it looks like it should be coloured in some days and other days it looks like it shouldn't be lol.