Consultation process question

cfgsteak

I did a lot of shopping for an artists work I like. We spent about 10 minutes discussing the design I am interested in. The design isnt crazy. But I am curious to see how he is going to lay out the nebula I am looking for. I am NOT an artist. I picked this guy because I love his work. I made my appointments in April.

My first appointment is June 6th. My question is...is it appropriate to stop into the shop and discuss my design with him again before my first appointment? I thought I could swing by when he has a bit of downtime and bring in a small gift or something (like a decent bottle of tequila or something).

I guess I dont want him to forget what we discussed...on the other hand...I dont want to be "that guy". I dont want to be a pain in the ass.

Thanks.

I think you're ok to stop in if you think it's totally necessary, but I'm sure he won't forget what you discussed. I know that feeling of anticipation, but the more you bug him, the more you're bound to make him start sweating the design instead of allowing him to do his thing. If you show up for your appt. and it's completely different from what you had in mind, he should be able to adjust it accordingly.

I am NOT an artist. I picked this guy because I love his work.

These two lines say it all. He knows the general design you want (or perhaps specific design if you were adamant about certain details) and you should let him create HIS work from it. After all, that is why you picked him right?

On a more practical note- abide by whatever you guys discussed when you last talked. I've had artists meet with me a week or two before an appointment to do a consultation, I've had people draw it up the day of, I've had artists say they were going to draw it but got busy and started drawing it when my appointment time was, and I've had artists draw 90% of it before I got there and finalize a few things when I arrive. Hell, I've had the same artist do a variety of those things so really it's however their schedule/desire permits. In all honesty, if you go to the studio unprompted by your artist you probably will not accomplish anything.

Yep don't worry cfgsteak I picked my current artist on his portfolio and on work he had done on one of my friends. I give my artist my idea and maybe a few reference pics of what I am after and I let him do his thing. I think what he's doing is amazing! and thats what counts. He just tells me what he's planning and it is usually its WAY better than what I had in mind. LOL! Don't lose sleep over it, just look forward to your new tattoo your going to get. Just make sure to post some pics in the new tattoo thread so we can all have a look :)

My two cents: I try and discuss as much as i can with my client when we first meet and maybe over the phone the night I draw it up. I really don't want to meet too soon before our appointment because 90% of the time my client starts to over analyze the design. Friends and family usually chime in too, making the matter worst. I think it is part of a tattooers job to steer clients in the right direction on designs. Readability, aging, etc. So many factors that the general public doesn't think about. Even if you don't see the design until the day of, I think it's pretty important that the artist is on time with the drawing. It shows they've done their homework and aren't just spitting out some 1/2 ass drawing because they forgot the appointment. Final word - don't bring alcohol as a gift, unless you know for sure that your artist drinks. Even then I'd still offer caution. A big fat tip at the end of a session says loads more about your appreciation and your artist can spend it how they really want.

Thanks Dan. I appreciate your input...here's what happened...

My original request was causing me too lose sleep I was so concerned about it. I went in yesterday for a second consultation...explained my concern and decided to have the other arm done first. I have a terrible tattoo he is covering on my left (a taz from the mid 80's). My artist was cool with that and seemed much more excited about the design I was interested in for my left arm. He was appreciative that I came in again instead of waiting until my appt Monday to change my mind.

The shop I am going to host "alternative" art shows...I know my guy drinks and even if he didnt like what I brought in they would serve it at a show. He told me the bottle of tequila was unnecessary but very much appreciated.

And I will be cash tipping for my actual appointments...I just didn't want to seem like I didn't appreciate that he would need to draw something else up. I feel soooooo much better. My wife is a hair dresser and I understand the importance of tipping!

Sounds like it all worked out. I didn't mean to imply that you don't tip, I've just had that experience before, and as I don't drink, it was a bit awkward. Good luck with all your future tattoos, I think your on the right track, and it sounds like you found an artist that'll work with you.

Sounds like it all worked out. I didn't mean to imply that you don't tip, I've just had that experience before, and as I don't drink, it was a bit awkward. Good luck with all your future tattoos, I think your on the right track, and it sounds like you found an artist that'll work with you.

I can totally see where you are coming from. Thanks for your advice.