First tatto- I’m a little nervous.

quesadilla

Hey, I’m new here, so bear with me if I seem out of the loop of everything. I just got a tattoo (my first) tonight, and I have an inquiry. I don’t think it’s anything too serious, but I’d like to know what it is. I’ve seen pictures of blowouts, is this one? Or is it too early to tell just yet? I don’t mind it much, just curious. 

And on on a side note, I’m using A+D Ointment, but I’ve just read up on some sites that it’s not good for tattoos? Should I switch, or am I safe?

0EC3062F-C60C-40E6-95FB-6F9C3909E535.jpeg

Hello and welcome to the forum - others will probably be along to tell you to give it some time - and I would agree  - this is a very new tattoo and you need to wait until it's fully healed to be able to have any perspective on it - give it a couple of months to fully settle in.

Aftercare - I've had a couple of tattoos now and I have healed really well using Bepanthan (in small amounts) - but others will tell you (with some vigour) not to go anywhere near it.

I have also healed with no ointments, herbs, spices, spells or oils at all and these have turned out equally well - so....

One piece of universal advice I think I can give is whatever you use don't use too much of it, and don't soak the tattoo (as in submerged for any length of time) in water.  

- What did your tattooist recommend for aftercare?

5 hours ago, AtomicMagpye said:

Hello and welcome to the forum - others will probably be along to tell you to give it some time - and I would agree  - this is a very new tattoo and you need to wait until it's fully healed to be able to have any perspective on it - give it a couple of months to fully settle in.

Aftercare - I've had a couple of tattoos now and I have healed really well using Bepanthan (in small amounts) - but others will tell you (with some vigour) not to go anywhere near it.

I have also healed with no ointments, herbs, spices, spells or oils at all and these have turned out equally well - so....

One piece of universal advice I think I can give is whatever you use don't use too much of it, and don't soak the tattoo (as in submerged for any length of time) in water.  

- What did your tattooist recommend for aftercare?

The artist gave me a paper that consists of the basics (i.e. to wash it after unwrapping, air or pat dry, moisturize). The paper writes that 

I should moisturize it 2-3 times per day, but I've been told otherwise to keep it constantly covered (with A&D). Also, can you wash your tattoo too much? I don't want to find out the hard way.

50 minutes ago, Hogrider said:

You can't tell anything at this point, except that you are using waaaaay too much A&D. You want to use the absolute minimum so that it doesn't dry out. That tattoo looks like it's swimming.

I've been using A&D for more than 8 years with no problem and even my oldest tattoos look like new, so I wouldn't worry about it.

So when applying ointment, I should get it to where it’s just covered and shiny? I don’t know why I was using so much, my mom suggested “a big glob”. I think I’ve got it now, thank you!