Asking for multiple sketches (any artists here to answer?)

bluebullets

Okay, so I have a rule with tattoos... I need to want a tattoo for at least 3 years before I get said tattoo. As it turns out, I have wanted TWO completely different sleeves for like 5 years now but I only have one arm available. 

I decided on one, but I thought about it, and what if I could see both and pick what I like better? Would you think I was an indecisive a**h**e If i asked you to design 2 different sleeves, even if i doubled my deposit as a tip for the second design?

I'm not actually sure how much time a design takes- if it is a long time and they only do it because they expect the deposit to turn into a tattoo or not..

Honestly, as I write this, I feel like I'm being an indecisive ****.. if you don't know what you want, don't get a tattoo.. But I do know what I want... 1 or the 2 and  can't go wrong either way lol

Well, you can do whatever you'd like, right? I got stuck on the Three Year Rule. <grin> 

I think that asking for two designs is a bit much (okay, a lot too much). If your legs aren't done, save one the concepts for your leg. To me, it's like asking a chef to plan two menus complete with a tasting menu before you decide but only paying for one menu.

The other thing is to ask your artist, conceptually, which idea would make a better sleeve. 

5 hours ago, bluebullets said:

Yeah you're all supporting what I thought- it's weird and it doesn't seem like a fair ask. I would offer to BUY the second sketch but it still sounds dumb. Like I can't make up my mind over a 20 hour tattoo. 

You’re going to get a sleeve in 20 hours???

On 1/23/2019 at 8:59 PM, Hogrider said:

You’re going to get a sleeve in 20 hours???

Not unlikely. I'm disabled and my arm is EXTREMELY small. Don't quote me but I believe she had my forearm at 6 inches and my bicep at maybe 9?

Aren't they usually 20-30 anyway? My uncle's was like 22

Edited by bluebullets

9 hours ago, bluebullets said:

Not unlikely. I'm disabled and my arm is EXTREMELY small. Don't quote me but I believe she had my forearm at 6 inches and my bicep at maybe 9?

I don’t know how you would get a quality sleeve in 20 hours. Both of my sleeves were over 60 hours. And I know people who’s sleeves took longer than that.

13 hours ago, bluebullets said:

This is greatly influenced by the style and complexity of the artist and the work itself. Geometric and/or dotwork can easily be half the application time of photo realism, and some artists are much quicker than others - so it all depends on what you're getting and who is doing it.